How to find a job in Dubai?

Hi there,

Dubai is one of the most developped cosmopolitan in the middle east, isn't it?

How did you get there? Have you been detached by your company or have you moved then you've found a job there?

What's the best way to find a job in Dubai? Is there any website that could help people to find a job in Dubai from their home country?

Thanks for your participation!

Julian et al,

I arrived in Dubai first right after 9/11 when our UN agency looked for a contingency base due to the crisis in Central Asia (Afghanistan). From 2001 on, our office grew from a small one-man-show to one of the world's largest humanitarian contingency and fast response bases. When I left in April 2006, we employed 70 staff and flew out all over the world providing logistics and infrastructural support for humanitarian emergencies. Princess Haya, the wife of Dubai's ruler, became a good-will ambassador for our organisation (the first female good-will ambassador, and the first ever from the Middle East) !
This story in itself shows the power of Dubai as a regional (and up-coming worldwide) hub for procurement, air&sea transport etc.. "Only in Dubai!". Read also one example on my blog: http://theroadtothehorizon.blogspot.com … -city.html , which describes how we worked with the government of Dubai to construct a humanitarian city... in six months...

Concretely to answer your questions:

Julian wrote:

How did you get there? Have you been detached by your company or have you moved then you've found a job there?

Within the organisation I 'sold' the idea of starting up an office there. So in a way, I 'moved' part of the organisation there :D . Yes, officially, I was 'detached' by the organisation there.

Julian wrote:

What's the best way to find a job in Dubai? Is there any website that could help people to find a job in Dubai from their home country?

Ough. The Dubai job market is VERY competitive. Consequently, the wages are low compared to the sky-rocketing cost of living, employees are expected to work very long hours. The demand for performance is a constant pressure. And employees have very few rights or privileges..
It is excellent for employers, but makes it difficult for employees! There so much more 'supply' of labour than there is demand (despite the blooming economy). This makes it possible to find well trained and experienced staff (in ALL sectors, at ALL levels), at a VERY competitive wage.
We did a HAY-market survey to ensure our organisation paid top-dollar wages to our staff, and positioned ourselves in the top 5 of all the international companies. A typical (locally recruited) head of logistics or head of procurement e.g. was paid $3,000-3,500/month. This is very high for what we normally pay for locally recruited staff, but even then, it was difficult for these people to maintain a good standard of living. The cost of living in Dubai is VERY high. (see also your other post).
There are MANY job-brokers and headhunters active who mediate between companies and 'potential employees' all over the world either via manual headhunting or publicly via the web. However, I never found this a good way to find a job. There are hundreds of these brokers.
The best is to go via connections or via the Internet, to companies within your professional branch, find out the contact details of the HR manager or manager of the department in your branch, and contact them directly. And contact them again, and again, and again (and not to give up)...

Hope this helps,

Peter
http://theroadtothehorizon.blogspot.com
Peter.Casier(at)pandora.be

I had never heard of Dubai before, I came here on a freelance project and liked it from the first moment. When I was offered a permenant job I just took it to see for a year. I am here now for 3 years and not intending to go back to my home country for a while.

But maybe my story is unusual, most people come here by applying for jobs through internet of recruitment agencies in their country.

When looking for a job for my friend I collected a lot of links. I have made my favorites into 1 page and got into the hobby of updating it daily.

http://www.startpagedubai.com/jobs.htm

I can proudly say I have not seen another site having a longer list.

Astrid

I think this is so easy nowadays, and the main credit for it certainly goes to the internet which has opened up so many opportunities to people like us to seek employment not only in Dubai but anywhere in the world. Thus I got my job in Dubai after submitting an online application which was posted by the recruiter located at Dubai and I met up with their criteria and got selected.

look at monster gulf

I personally don't have experience looking for jobs in Dubai. I came here because of internal assigment

One of my friends who work in HR in a joint-venture company in Dubai used
http://www.bayt.com
Apparently it's one of the bigger sites

On the salary - I thought salaries for higher-skilled jobs and senior positions are at par with London and New York, while salaries for unskilled labor are low. Is it true?

Hello and Salam everyone,

Does anyone own a copy of the 2007 issue of this book about finding a job in Dubai? I can't find it anywhere, I guess they pulled it off the web for the 2008 release but it is not stated when it will come out. Please help:
[moderated: no free ads thanks]

Thank you,
Rasoul

Hi

can anyone help? i am due to move out to dubai in two months with my boyfriend(who has already secured a job) i have contacted various recruitment agencies but i think i am not having much luck due to the fact that i am not living there yet? i am an accountant any advise is welcome!

Thanks

luce, here's some info I've written on another website which is relevant to what you posted:

"My boyfriend's been offered a job in Dubai & I'm planning to go with him. Can we live together."

The answer is in two parts and the second is the most difficult to solve.
Firstly, it is illegal for an unmarried couple to live together in Dubai. Having said that, many couples do and they have no problem. However, you need to be sensible about it; for example don't attract the attention of the authorities by having noisy late-night parties that cause the neighbours to call the police!

The second thing is much more difficult. To live in the UAE you must have a Residence Visa. To get a Residence Visa you must have a sponsor - for example, your boyfriend's employer will be his sponsor. But your boyfriend will not be able to sponsor you. Only legally married people can sponsor their spouse, and the paperwork to prove you're married is daunting.

To live here you have to get around this problem, for example by finding a job yourself so that the employer will be your sponsor. Or maybe, just maybe, and it's a very long shot, your boyfriend's employer would be willing to sponsor you. Or of course, you could get married which would solve all the problems :-)

For getting a job I wrote this:

Although it's booming the whole world seems to want to move here, so competition for jobs is fierce. Last year 800 people moved to Dubai each day!

For example, my wife recently got a job as Office General Manager. When it was advertised over one thousand applications were received. Even one month after she started work, applications were still being received. She advertised for a secretary, applications to the company website. In two days they had over 4,000 - yes four thousand - applicants.

Salary package varies enormously, depending on where you're from, your experience & qualifications, the industry, the company, the position. The Labour Law stipulates that all employees must be given annually a return air ticket to their home country and one month's vacation. They must also provide you with a Residence Visa, Labour Card and Health Card. Beyond that the package can vary from only a salary, from which you have to pay all your expenses, right up to a full expat package with everything you can think of included. I know people earning AED 650 a month with no other benefits and others AED60,000 a month with accommodation, car, medical, school fees & everything else added on.

Do as much research as you can. Check out the local newspapers online, such as www.gulfnews.com and www.khaleejtimes.com Check out which companies from your country are operating in Dubai - maybe you can get an interview in your own country and ask for a Dubai posting.

Ideally come to Dubai on holiday, see as many relevant employment agencies and companies as you can while you're here. Thousands of people are coming here on visit visas looking for jobs. You are much more likely to be offered a job if they can interview you in person.

In terms of "living together with your partner" in Dubai, just some thoughts...
Don't get the miss-impression that Dubai is conservative. It is one of the most forward thinking "states" in the Middle East, and one of the most tolerant societies for foreign customs/habits/cultures in the world (not just the Middle East).

Still, legally, it is correct to state "it is illegal for an unmarried couple to live together in Dubai". For foreigners, this is mostly ignored, unless if this becomes a public nuissance, or if someone somewhere would want to file a complaint (for one  or the other reason). So what Seabee advises, stands very clear: "you need to be sensible about it", and sensitive.

For the sponsoring of a residency permit, Seabee is right.. It is common practice that the employer (at least for jobs 'above the level of day labourers') would sponsor family and partners, or even nannies or house keepers of their employees.
Make sure this is a clear agreement with your employer, though.

Hope this helps,

Peter
(lived in Dubai for 5 years, and loved it.)

By the way, here is a list of dubai based recruitment companies:
http://weknowdubai.com/employment/list- … ies-2.html

Peter

Hi Peter,
I live in the US, just finished my MBA and am trying to find a job in Dubai and move ASAP.
I wish I had seen your post earlier...I did some searched online and ended up paying these online services to post my resume and still no lead!
You posted this site: weknowdubai.com/employment/list- … ies-2.html for a list of local recuriters and that is what I need but I cant access the link..could you please resend it?

Thanks
Shabnam

This is the link: http://weknowdubai.com/employment/list- … ncies.html

Has anyone come across a reputable Finance/Money Managment recuiter.  I am looking to move to Dubai immediately and cannot locate anyone online who specializes in this area.  It seems online job post have you send your cv or resume to a black hole never to be read.  Any thoughts?

Hi.. i am working in India in banking industry. i have registered my profile on all the middle east job sites but of no avail.
Can anyone please get me the contact numbers of headhunters in Dubai?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I haven't been there but I'm really to work in Dubai. I heard that Dubai is really on of the best place to work for.. Is this because of the salary?? Anyway, For job seekers out there, I think this article may help you Dubai Jobs.

nothing beats networking. network often, and network well.  getting a job in dubai is competitive because everyone wants one. in my experience the following have helped:
1) lots of experience, especially western
2) a western passport
3) lots of skills
4) a big ex employer on the resume
5) a big name university on the CV

I am raghu from Bangalore India. I am looking for a job in Dubai/Singapore/European countries. Can any one help me in getting a job?

The guide may help ;)

I am Echo,come from China,and boyfriend works in Dubai. I want to live in Dubai with my boyfriend and find a job , after we getting married in June. IS it easy to find a job in dubai? ask for some suggestion :)

luzaca, could you please post in the Dubai classifieds > jobs? Thanks

Dear sir
good day to you
I am looking for a jab in UAE
I have a very good CV ; if you can help me to find a good jab I can send you an email with my CV .
best regards
Ali Sayban

Welcome on Expat.com Ali Sayban :)

I will suggest you to browse through the articles on the Work in UAE guide page. It contains many useful information & resources which will surely guide you in your career search.

Regards

hI,

Iam sandeep from india.I need a suggestion/help from you as u r in dubai.I got offer in dubai for AED 7500 is it enough to survive over there ans save atleast 4000 AED per month.Iam also single.They also wont provide any sort of accomodation.All is ours only salary,medical,air tickets.Please help me.Wat i have to do.I got this offer for citibank dubai through a vendor from india its like a contract job.

deepu552000 wrote:

hI,

Iam sandeep from india.I need a suggestion/help from you as u r in dubai.I got offer in dubai for AED 7500 is it enough to survive over there ans save atleast 4000 AED per month.Iam also single.They also wont provide any sort of accomodation.All is ours only salary,medical,air tickets.Please help me.Wat i have to do.I got this offer for citibank dubai through a vendor from india its like a contract job.

hi Sandeep 7500/- for a single in Dubai is a good offer, you can find good accomodation from AED 750 onwards per month. AED4000 you can easily save unless you start partying every weekend!

Trying to find a position in Dubai has been a daunting task. In fact I have been trying since 2004. I have used many websites and have contacted countless agencies. I have made over 700 applications – all for jobs where I am qualified.

I have a graduate degree in engineering, 3 industry certifications, experience with a couple of Fortune 500 companies, and have worked in Europe, Asia, the Middle East, the US, and Canada. I have had my resume professionally written by two different firms.

But all this is probably useless. I don't think anyone has actually read my resume. Someone wrote somewhere that his company advertised for a position and received 4000 CVs a day. I believe it. It's just too easy to click and apply for a job, even if you do not qualify for it. The posting you see has also been seen by millions of other people all over the world. The internet is a double-edge sword.

Hi

Getting a job is always tough, no matter which country you're looking to work in.  Dubai being a cosmopolitan city has both advantages and disadvantages in seeking employment. In Dubai there is a wide variety of fields to move into and the turnaround of employment is also rapid. But in many places there is also a lot of favoritism and discrimination caused by so many nationalities all approaching the same vacancy.
But this is also true that getting a job mostly depends on your qualifications and experience. If you are looking a job in IT field or in hospitality field, then it's a bit difficult as there is a great deal of competition for jobs within these fields.
So the best I can say is keep on trying as employee turnover is huge in Dubai and whenever a vacancy appears, it needs to be filled as quickly as possible.

hi Im an english Teacher..I applied to the school directly that Im currently working for. They contacted me and brought me down here. and havent left eversince. So its beeen 4 years.
This is a great place.

[Moderated: off-topic]

anyways answering your question--finding teaching jobs dont require recruiting agencies :)

hi neha--I like your name by the way :)

1. walkin interviews--are great because it lets you show your character, how serious you are,etc so def do not miss out on an walkin interview

2.visa- well if you are not in dubai you should take a visit visa (they are valid for 3 months) but if you do you ll need money to pay rent or to pay to stay at a hotel which could be too expensive--there are already too many jobless people searching for a job so you might not find one right away. About the visa AIR ARABIA has a great offer check their website.

3. Usually rentals go for 1 year and they want payment in one go there are some who accept two installments HOWEVER--International City is a far place where they provide accomodations in which you can pay rent monthly. But the conditions of the house is not the best.

4. You can get a part time and a full time depending on what you want what the company wants etc...

Its best to google names of companies and send them an email. This way they will provide you with an accomodation.

GOODLUCK!

hey baa... thanks 1st of all....
bt neha is very common name here in india...

1. if i m comin down der...hw shud i approach the companies... for walk-in-interviews?? i mean hw hw i tak an appointmnt wid them??
2. do u have any contacts who vl giv me accomadation ... till d time i find a job 4 myslf??
3. and about the part-time job ... by that i mean .. vl get a job by which i will b able to pay for the rent of accomdation for the time i vl b der for without a proper company interior designing job?
4. and wat is the last thing u sed....abt googling the names ...
can u plz elaborate on dat ??

thank u ..

warm regards
neha

nehaap wrote:

hey baa... thanks 1st of all....
bt neha is very common name here in india...

1. if i m comin down der...hw shud i approach the companies... for walk-in-interviews?? i mean hw hw i tak an appointmnt wid them??
2. do u have any contacts who vl giv me accomadation ... till d time i find a job 4 myslf??
3. and about the part-time job ... by that i mean .. vl get a job by which i will b able to pay for the rent of accomdation for the time i vl b der for without a proper company interior designing job?
4. and wat is the last thing u sed....abt googling the names ...
can u plz elaborate on dat ??

thank u ..

warm regards
neha

neha I thought you knew a date for one...Ok a walk in interview is organized by a company then they put an add in the newspaper or internet. I thought u new of one.

1)when you come down here you will call the companies and ask if they need you. IF they say yes you will go to see them. But chances are low this way. The best way is to search via newspaper or internet.

2)browse through the internet: international city monthly rentals: I found one for you:
Miss Sheila

Mobile No

+971 50 554 0949

Phone No

+971 4 435 7203

Email

[email protected]

3)part time job or full time job: You need to look in the newspapers. foget what I said on number 4.

hey baa...

thank u so muc...
u been a great help...i hope i meet u wen i cum der...:)

"Its best to google names of companies and send them an email. This way they will provide you with an accomodation" i neva got wat u meant by dis??
hw do dey provide accomdation for ppl who are just applyin for jobs der.... i m juz a bit confused wid wat u sed above....

thank u

regards 
neha

they will give you a house to live IF you apply before coming to the country. that will be called an external contract. If you apply while you are in the country they usually dont. that is called an internal contract.

hoope to meet you to dear :)

they dont give houses to people applying they give a house once you agree and sign a contract and send it back with an email...

I pmed you IF YOU NEED ANYTHING PM ME AS WELL oki I need to go now

thank so muc baa...

i vl mail .. wen i plan ma way out der...

hope 2 meet u soon ...:) tc

warm regards
neha

Hello Dear Frnds

I m an indian searching job in Dubai or any Arab countries. Do sites help me to find a job?

astridindubai wrote:

When looking for a job for my friend I collected a lot of links. I have made my favorites into 1 page and got into the hobby of updating it daily.

startpagedubai.com/jobs.htm

I can proudly say I have not seen another site having a longer list.

Astrid

Thanks for the link Astridindubai!

Possible that companies are looking for employment and submit your CV and a possible get a job

Hi,

There are a number of really good recruitment agencies depending on what line of work you want to follow. Look them up. I have listed some below

Manpower
Gulf Talent
Bayt.com
Apple Selection
Clarendon Parker
Charter House

Good luck

S