How to find a place to live in Haiti??

I'm planning on spending 6 months in Haiti with my husband and I dont even know where to start planning! The first thing I think I need to do is figure out where to start looking for a place to live. I dont want to just show up there and hope to get lucky, I actually want to secure a place before leaving. The internet seems to be a poor place to find a home though, mostly just shady real estate sites. Does anyone know where I should be looking to??

I supposed It depends on what you're going to do there and where you are going to be. If you are going to be working with an organization, they can probably help you find one if they don't already provide it. 

If you are not, and you really need to find something on your own, I am also interested in any information, as I am not yet sure what my situation will be, whether I'll be working with an Organization or not. 

I can tell you this.  I have friends in Haiti, both Haitian and expats, and this is what I have picked up in bits and pieces from them.  Most Haitians pay their rent by the year instead of by the month, and it can be as little as $700/year (maybe even less?)  However, things are different for an expat, especially if you are caucasian.  Because we have added risk of kidnapping, robbery or other things, it is important to live in a secure enough location.  These places can be very nice with security, running water, electricity, internet and other things that are luxuries in Haiti.  However, rent for a place like this in Port-au-Prince can be rival rents in major cities in America and Europe.  From what I can understand, there aren't many options that are in between these two, but if someone wants to correct me I'd be happy to be wrong.

I can help you to find a place just send me first your expectation

Hello,

I'm spanish and I'm coming to Haiti on december. I'm a civil engineer and I work for the reconstruction. I'd like to find an apartment before I leave and I'm looking for safety one as you have mentioned before. If you have an apartment or you know something about it, it'd be nice if you share it with me. Thank you

Welcome to Expat-blog, casajus :)

For accommodation purposes, view the Haiti classifieds, there are few flats available for rent. It might help.

Regards,
Sheetul

Greetings...

im lebanese and i love haiti ..its really a nice country and im really so sad about what happen there and i hope to help the families there...
THANK YOU

Single mature female with administrative, business and teaching background.  Need funished house within walking distance of US consulate in Tabarre.  Must have A/C.  Must be in area were there is Internet access and cell phone service.  Safety is a concern.  2-bdrm or 1-bdrm with nook for home office.

Is there a guest house available that would meet all of these needs and also include laundry access/clearning?

Can the above be done on $US1,300.00/per month?  Is there a way to supplement that income?

Respectfully,

305-467-2582

I will contact my agents and let you know .[Moderated]

Hi
You can do many things: You check from your taxi driver to take you to a place where there are people that will take care of that for you I know one in Petion Ville not far from Place Boyer. That is you already set foot in Haiti. If you are away you can contact a hotel and ask a good deal for your 1st week and start from there. You will find too many people willing to help you in that matter.
E. Charles

If you are single and just need a place to settle to go about your business I can recommend a hotel or motel I know that will take care of that.

@cclaude46 :

Please note that this thread is very old ( 2009 ).

I invite you to participate to the active topics in the Haïti forum.

Thanks,

Priscilla
Expat.com team  :cheers:

The best deal  is to  rent a studio with garage...
Less expensive

Hello,

I'm an Haitian American, currently living in Deerfield Beach, Florida... I have a house in port au prince haiti that I may be able to rent out to you. It's an 8 bedroom and 6 bath house, 3 floors, hot water, secured, etc... if you are interested you can send me a way to contact you or I can send you my phone number. You will love this house..!

Moderated by Loïc 3 years ago
Reason : promoting freely other companies is not allowed, thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct