My big boss like Hitler

if you had a boss that dictators like Hitler, how you are to behave?

You stand up to him and tell him to grow up and stop being a child. This often gets there attention and then, if it continues, report him to his superiors if he has any. If not, Leave and then rubbish his business.
However, before you do anything rash, talk to him on a one to one and tell him how his behaviours make you feel. Don't talk about him being a monster, but how he does things creates problems for you. See if you can get him to be aware of the impact his behaviour has on you, not others. If you become a spokes person for the rest, then it is not going to be any better. Just make it about you and him.

Could you elaborate on that a little? Yes, bosses can be such jerks but there're always two stories to every case. I find this matter dilematic. I am the boss of my own company and have always tried to lead my staff with maturity and respect. But no matter how I try, this age-old perception that all bosses are jerks still persists somehow. Bosses do what they gotta do to lead, and when things don't go as desired, they have every right to take measures so long as the actions taken are supportive in nature and do not violate workers' rights. But then again, some staff would always take things personally and see it as a form of oppression.

Hi,

do you really remember who Hitler is, the horrors of WWII and the genocide ?

You should think twice before comparing anyone to Hitler

Sorry, I got shocked when I read your message this morning

Hi Julien, Good point, but coming from England, we used to use Hitler of a way to describe a bad boss through his mannerisms and style of management. I am sure laurenct does not mean any upset by her turn of phrase.
In Indonesia, WWII in Europe/Asia is largely unknown or understood and so people whilst having heard of Hitler do not fully appreciate what actually happened under his control and therefore are naive towards it.
A few days ago a student of mine, pulled a pencil case out of his bag covered in swastikas and could see not harm or relation to what it meant to others. After explaining the facts and some simple points behind this emblem, the pencil case disappeared and has never made a return since.
Global history is somewhat missing in Indonesia sadly on all levels.

Ask the boss to be nice, if things don't change...inform the HR, if still nothing changed, then there might be better opportunities for you out there. Its not that you are quitting, but statistics says, good employees leave organization mainly cause of their manager (mostly).

I agree with Luke, Julien, in that the name Hitler has sort of worked its way into the language over here in what was previously a Dutch colony to mean very, very bad.

Then again, a very popular dish here is called nazi goering.:D 

Good point Luke about swastikas.  In Bali they are seen everywhere but as the Hindu symbol of balance and harmony.  I've seen some first time tourists get a bit upset on their first encounter with one until it is explained to them. 

Anyway Maria, anyone as cute as you deserves a good boss! ;)

It's funny you should say that, Taher, but it is totally true here in this country. Good employees, as you put it, tend to know better when to leave a job for the sake of personal improvement rather than stick with it for many more years just of the sake of raking up the bonuses (which they would usually try to withdraw by deliberately getting themselves fired). I see that a lot in my staff nowadays.

lukereg has it bang on the nail.
A 'Hitler' is a nasty, pig headed, probably stupid, unpleasant person in charge of whatever.

Their testicle count is commonly thought to be less than average.

As for what you do with one, only one way.
Tell them to sod off.

(Make sure you have another job to go to before you pour the bucket of paint over his head)

Bad day at work, mas fred? Or just an overall personal experience?

There was a survey last year in us & uk about why good employees leave organization and surprisingly 40% came out cz of their manager's bad attitude, 30% cz of better opportunities, rest i dont remember. I dont know about indonesia cz i have been here just a year, but i did see few employees left cz they couldnt handle the pressure/wrkload and couldnt explain to,the manager. Sometimes i found several employees not driven by performance. In this competative market, when all running after target, thins do gets worst and gets out of hand. A good boss should be able to keep a balance environment but it also need a good collaboration with employees.

sorry for the off topic: thanks guys for the cultural explanation

oldfashionedjames wrote:

Bad day at work, mas fred? Or just an overall personal experience?

I once had a bad 'Hitler' boss but I followed my own advice (Not the paint).
Bullies tend to back down when confronted.

Overall, I've been pretty lucky with work related relationships.

Ubudian wrote:

I wish to remind you - this isn't a dating site and I saw her first.

mas fred wrote:
Ubudian wrote:

I wish to remind you - this isn't a dating site and I saw her first.

:lol:

I only hope she isn't embarrassed by our flattery! ;)

Anyway, up to now I kind of wondered about your taste when it came to women, Ibu Fred being an exception of course!   

Have a good weekend Fred!

I like blonde ladies with large, fluffy, white haircuts.
Trouble is, I always feel shy and sheepish when I see them.

Isn't one of Hitlers balls in the Albert Hall?

I think most of us have faced 'bullying' or difficult bosses. Standing up to them is the only way to deal with them as Mas Fred said.

Can't help you out about one of Hitler's balls, Luke, but Napolean's penis was sold at auction in 1969 for $38,000.00, reportedly to an American urologist.

My Balinese wife is particularly fond of dining on rooster nuts, but only those from roosters who lost in a cock fight.

Personally I tend to behave when around my wife.  :lol:

Roy, I think if I meet your wife, so will I!

My expat buddies refer to her as "the one who must be obeyed!"  :lol:

My best defense is my mother in law whom I gave three grandsons and therefore can do no wrong in her eyes. :D

As they say, life in Bali is all about maintaining balance.

If I had a boss who invaded half of Europe, tried to wipe entire segments of humanity off the face of the Earth and caused the deaths of millions upon millions of innocent men, women & children, I'm pretty sure I'd look for another job.

Unless there was a really good dental plan.

In Hong Kong, we have Buddhist symbols that look like swastikas.  It's pretty disturbing at first – until you think about it a little.  The Buddhists used it thousands of years before any of those nazi losers hatched from their swamp.

Asian cultures – not just in Indonesia – are generally ignorant of the absolute evil that was Hitler.  Even in the west, we use his name to describe the most benign people.  The meter maid gave me a ticket – she's worse than Hitler.  Some guy online disagrees with my political opinions – he's worse than Hitler.  In 100 years, Hitler will be more of a cartoon character than symbol of evil.

thanks for all comment and i appreciate it.  i am agree with  my friend luke.

HaileyinHongKong wrote:

In Hong Kong, we have Buddhist symbols that look like swastikas.  It's pretty disturbing at first – until you think about it a little.  The Buddhists used it thousands of years before any of those nazi losers hatched from their swamp.

Asian cultures – not just in Indonesia – are generally ignorant of the absolute evil that was Hitler.  Even in the west, we use his name to describe the most benign people.  The meter maid gave me a ticket – she's worse than Hitler.  Some guy online disagrees with my political opinions – he's worse than Hitler.  In 100 years, Hitler will be more of a cartoon character than symbol of evil.

Granted, although I must clarify that it's not necessarily the cultures that cause the ignorance. Asians/ some people in the west would display less sensitivity toward the subject simply because of the fact that it's not part of their national histories. Otherwise all of us in this conversation would've been more cautious even mentioning the name.