Moving to Malta in April 2013 - cost of living

Hi everybody!
I am moving to Malta in April. I got the job that is paying around EUR 32,000 per year (gross). I am single so will be moving on my own. I would really appreciate if somebody can help out in giving information on the following:

1. Rent a flat - I am looking to rent one or two bedroom fully furnished modern, good standard (new-ish) flat in Birkirkara (somewhere close to where the offices are and hopefully with a sea view). How much would the rent be?
2. Cost of living - how much would I spend on food and utilities for the above-mentioned apartment? I am planning to use bus for transport. I am not sure on how good and reliable the bus transport system is? In terms of food, I tend to spend probably above average as I buy lots of meat and better quality food in supermarkets. In terms of other expenses, moderate/average going out for drinks, cinema, coffee, twice or so per month going out for meal in a restaurant.

Thanks

What costs life at the start is a good question.

I heard that rent a flat is not very expensive (300 - 500 Euro ?) and to buy a ticket with validition of a month costs something around 25 Euro for Malta Residents. Food should be also very cheap.

Can somebody tell me more ?

Search here https://www.expat.com/forum/341-22-cost … malta.html

Hmm Malta is not THAT small..;)

Unfortunately there are no sea views in Birkirkara, it's quite a central city (buildings all around) and a rather polluted one at that, as there are 2 mains roads on both sides of it. I wouldn't really suggest it..although there is a great supermarket there called Smart. I think you'd have to see it and decide for yourself..

Will you be getting a car? I think not? as you are asking about buses...

I believe the monthly bus ticket is around 25-26 euro. I usually buy the weekly ticket for €6.50. Rent wise in Birkirkara - around €300-400 should be the standard, unless the place is super/nice big. It's not one of the more *poshy* areas ;)

Hi Myrkur,

Thanks a lof for info. Actually, the only reason why I was considering Birkirkara is because my office would be there (if I understand well, thats where most business are based). Therefore, I wanted to be close to the office rather than travel. As I am planning to use buses (at least for some time), I am not sure how well bus service runs(how often) especially if you are to travel from say Valleta or St Julians to Birkirkara?
How much would then a nice modern one bedroom (newer furnitute and flat) cost to rent in a nice area of Valleta or St Julians? Also how easy is it to get by bus from these places to Birkirkara?
Could you also help out in suggesting how much the running costs per month would be i.e. food (especially if I buy nicer food in supermarkets), utillities, gym etc.
I would be getting EUR 32,000 per year gross, which I understand should be around EUR 1.800-2.000 net pm so not sure if this is a good salary to cover all these.

Thanks

Hi Maltamove,

welcome to the forum.

You should find out where your office will be as most businesses are not in Birkirkara.

One bedroom appartments are actually unusual. For the same money you can probably get a two bedroom place with more room.

Your salary is very good for Maltese standards and even for Expat standards so you don't have to worry about money. The actual costs of living will depend more on your personal lifestyle.

In my opinion forget Valletta as a place to live for a single Expat but Birkirkara is quite central (if your company is actually based there?)

Cheers
Ricky

Maltamove wrote:

Could you also help out in suggesting how much the running costs per month would be i.e. food (especially if I buy nicer food in supermarkets), utillities, gym etc.
I would be getting EUR 32,000 per year gross, which I understand should be around EUR 1.800-2.000 net pm so not sure if this is a good salary to cover all these.

Thanks

Average salary in Malta is around 15k Euros. If you work for the IT, igaming or finance sectors you usually earn much more (like you will earn). According to your salary after taxes and social security you will have something closer to 2000€ (1980€ or so) per month.

Expats are many times charged more than locals. Even in utility bills: http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/vi … ats.418500

I found this website with cost of living info per each country http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/co … ntry=Malta

Monthly Basic (Electricity, Gas, Water, Garbage) for 85m2 Apartment     110.00 €
Fitness Club, Monthly Fee for 1 Adult     26.00 €

Apartment (1 bedroom) in City Centre     360.00 €    
Apartment (1 bedroom) Outside of Centre     275.00 €    

Median Monthly Disposable Salary (After Tax)     1,200.00 €    

Rice (1kg)     0.80 €    
Milk (regular), 1 liter     0.86 €    
Loaf of Fresh White Bread (500g)     0.75 €    
Eggs (12)     2.00 €    
Water (1.5 liter bottle)     0.55 €    

I do not know how accurate is that info, people already living in Malta may tell you

Hi Lusco,

who told you that the average salary in Malta is 20.000 € ?

After taxes and social security 2000E /month x 12 = 24.000 € net . I don't know many earning that much not even in Germany !

Maybe we are living in a different Malta world ! -)))

Cheers
Ricky

ricky wrote:

who told you that the average salary in Malta is 20.000 € ?

Sorry, I meant US dollars not Euros. The average in Euros in the 3rd quarter of 2012 was €15,513
http://nso.gov.mt/statdoc/document_file.aspx?id=3503

I do not know way this info from Eurostat talks about €21,446 "In the private sector?":
http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/vi … est.424567

32000 euro a year is plenty to live comfrotably in Malta.
Rent for a nice 2 bedroom you are talking 500 euro and that would be expensive.
Food and drink is cheap.
Bills like electric and water are high.
Going out is cheap enough.
You will be fine.

Would love to know where you are going to be working id love 32,000 euro a year.

Thanks guys,

lots of useful info. My company is based in Birkirkara. Therefore I was wondering what would be the best place to live from which I can easily come to Birkirkara? Im interested in a place which is popular with expats, has decent restaurants/pubs/night life. I understand that St Julians and Sliema are quite popular (though they seem to be tourist places) and they are also very close (some 4km). How easy is it to travel by bus from one of these places to Birkirkara - is there a regular and reliable bus service? Also, would it be possible to get a good modern flat there for around EUR 500? Can somebody suggest a good local real estate agency?

Thanks

it seems to me that there are two buses that go from St Julians to Birkirkara. The 202 and the 203. They do go through a few places and many bus stops on their route. You can find out more about the buses and their routes of you go to www.arriva.com.mt

My personal experiences on rentals:

In Sliema - Valetta area:
1 bedroom 350+
2 bedroom 500+
3 bedroom 600+

You have to be lucky as well, but it always good idea to bargain.

Other cost: I don't know at the moment. I'hve just arrived to Malta :)

With 32.000 gross / year as a single you will be very fine here!

To find a good deal in April can be a bit complicated, because the season will starts soon and the owners will prefer short term rentals with high profit.

Maltamove wrote:

My company is based in Birkirkara. Therefore I was wondering what would be the best place to live from which I can easily come to Birkirkara? [...] How easy is it to travel by bus from one of these places to Birkirkara - is there a regular and reliable bus service?

Depending on where in Birkirkara your company's offices are located, you could also take a bus to Mater Dei hospital, where lots of bus routes are going, giving you greater flexibility. Mater Dei is, in my opinion, within walking distance of Birkirkara (a couple of minutes to the northern part of Birkirkara, about 10 to 15 minutes to its centre).

Maybe have a look at NB Real Estate Facebook page. I havent dealt with the company personally, but I have noticed that there always seems to be quite a few one bedroom apartments.

Damsel wrote:

Maybe have a look at NB Real Estate Facebook page. I havent dealt with the company personally, but I have noticed that there always seems to be quite a few one bedroom apartments.

NB Real Estate is very active publishing offers in websites such as maltapark, facebook, etc. but their website is quite useless. So if you contact them they might find something for you. Remax Malta also has a lot of offers, they are probably the biggest real estate company in Malta and their website has a search engine so you can search by location, number of bedrooms, etc.

I am also looking for a modern flat well located (as well as a modern office), but currently I'm just searching the Internet. I can not tell you how good are any of the companies above-mentioned, since I have not contacted any real estate company yet.

Forget all of those websites. None of those rentals exists (maybe yes, but they are rented)...

If you want to find real available apartments, check maltapark (but avoid those who has 10+ adverts - they are agencies) and browse timesofmalta.com classifieds online.

Of course you can call the agencies, they can help but don't rely on their website.

Thanks guys for all the info :D

Can you also suggest which place would be best to live e.g. St Julians, Sliema, Valletta ... I am looking for a place which is popular with expats, has good/decent night life, bars, restaurants...also which is easily accessible by bus to travel to Birkirkara.

As Ricky said Valletta is not the place for you. The best known for nightlife is St. Julians, specifically Paceville. Expats are usually in the North East, in the Sliema surroundings area, St. Julians is also over there.

You can check where your country-folks are located:
Croatians: https://www.expat.com/en/nationalities/ … malta/#map

Also you might be interested on:
Serbians: https://www.expat.com/en/nationalities/ … malta/#map
Montenegrin: https://www.expat.com/en/nationalities/ … malta/#map

And if you want to see much more expats on the maps:
Spaniards: https://www.expat.com/en/nationalities/ … malta/#map

:? Not sure why English people are invisible in the map; https://www.expat.com/en/nationalities/ … malta/#map Maybe is it an error because there are too many persons in the map (+500)?

Hi,
I am offered a job in Pembroke. can somebody shed some views about the place, people (friendly?), cost of living, taxes etc. I am offered a salry of 30,000 euros per annum.
thanks in advance.
Azilaf

Hi Azilaf,

welcome to the forum.

All I can say is , great salary and Pembroke is a nice place too! Work there would be IT or language school or ...?

It is also nice to live there but Malta is small and there are many nice places nearby - even within walking distance.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi lizpafrank,

Pembroke is a nice place close to the sea and St. Juliens which is a centre of nightlife in Malta, and has a small sandy beach. Also it has a very good public transportation to Sliema / Valetta direction.
Maltese ppl are friendly and helpful.
From 30k u will live fine here, thats around 1900 net per month, it depends  which tax rate will u get (single, married, parent).
Rent depends on your needs (location and quality), 1 bedroom is 350+ 2 bedroom is 450+ 3 bedroom is 550+.

Regards,
Andras