Where to get a teaching degree (CELTA, EFL, TEFL) in Riyadh?

Hi all,

I was wondering if you can help me out find a place where I can get an internationally accredited teaching degree like CELTA, EFL, TEFL..
I tried the British council at the DQ about the CELTA, they said for now they have the
course but in Jeddah! Can anyone help me out in this regard please?

Thanks.

Alisan

Your choices are few and far between in the Kingdom.

You would actually be better off doing it in another country.  They only take a month...

Look at Thailand and VietNam for cost-effective programs.  I am a teacher trainer and will happily advise you about programs if you do a little research.

Incidentally, don't let anyone fool you, there is no such thing as international accreditation because there isn't an internationally recognized standard.

There are internationally recognized certificates, but by and large they aren't any more "income producing" than a good program that is at least 100+ hours with at least 6 hours of OTP (observed teaching practice).

hello friend,

I came to know from your post that you are a teacher trainer. Iam rekha from India, a Bachelor of computer science Engineering degree holder. I would like to work in saudi as a teacher but i dont have any experience in teaching. please guide me to get a job.

hey ALison,

you might want to ask New Horizon,
they have a branch for english called (Direct English)

and their contact details is as follows
Direct English Riyadh Rawda Ladies        012251000    012252054

Im a salesman who is interested in obtaining certification in teaching english.{celta,tefl,delta}.

Contact the British Council in the DQ to find out when their next training takes place.

Hello all,

As for the Cambridge CELTA which was formerly known as CTEFLA (the Certificate in Teaching English as a Foreign Language to Adults); jointly administered by the Royal Society of Arts (RSA) and UCLES (University of Cambridge Language Examination Syndicate) is ONLY run by the British C school in KSA and I don't think there is any other training provider in the whole country approved to conduct that aforementioned course in Particular.

For male teachers, the Brit C school in Riyadh runs only one course (a 4-week intensive course) during the year and the proposed coming date is June,8th.2013. The course costs 12000 SAR which is comparatively expensive for it costs only around 1250 GBP = 7080 SAR if you decide to do the course in the UK.

The BC school has also the CELTA online option which lasts for almost 4 months and you are required to be present at their premises at leat 2 days a week.

I would suggest you try doing your TKT (Teaching Knowledge Test) that costs 600SAR for 3 accredited modules. Actually it consists of 6 modules, but they offer only 3 in the kingdom; alas.

At all events, a myriad of ONLINE choices spread over the internet and you can simply choose yours after reviewing the provider's accrediations and affiliations. I can help you with that if you set your mind on doing any..

Hope that helped a bit...... God Speed.

Rowa Douglas

Forget this TKT business.  CELTA or the Trinity TESOL is what is always mentioned in job specs.

Also, don't waste your time and money with an online certificate.  Most places won't accept them, esp. here in Saudi Arabia.

So the TKT is a waste of time?

An online certificate can be harder than doing a CELTA or Trinity CertTESOL..

Four assingments are required to complete the CELTA ,whereas twenty ones are compulsory to achieve a passing grade in some of the online courses.

I dare say that you are diametrically RIGHT when saying 'unaccepted by employers', but you might be given a chance if you have certain years of full-time teaching jobs.

Unfortunately, we Arabs like papers and do not even wrap our minds around the idea of having something online; which is very considerable in the west!!!!!

roa_douglass wrote:

Unfortunately, we Arabs like papers and do not even wrap our minds around the idea of having something online; which is very considerable in the west!!!!!

Yep, exactly my point.  Saudi's are in love with rubber stamps, too :lol:

thanks to all.

Rubber stamps :D

GOOD news for all ESL teachers in Saudi Arabia. The University of Cambridge CELTA is now offered here for natives & non-natives. IF your level of English is C1 of the CEFR and would like to do the CELTA course in Riyadh, CONTACT me .

Rowa Douglas

@roa  Male or female?

For MALES only at our institute premises in Riyadh.

@roa better add that important piece of information to your posts (and good luck!).

The fact is that I need at least 12 successful candidates , then I can confirm the dates and any other germane info....If you know MALE ESL teachers who are striving to do the CELTA, just refer them to me ..

Thanks for your encouragement .

need help to get some info

Hello sjairal---> Some information about what?

Thanks

Karen :)

I want to know how important is for a person who is Bachelors in English to do Celta for teaching ESL.

And what's are the benefits of this teaching course?

sjairal wrote:

I want to know how important is for a person who is Bachelors in English to do Celta for teaching ESL.

And what's are the benefits of this teaching course?

Your BA in English didn't entail hands-on training on how to teach; therefore, the degree by itself is insufficient in terms of delivering effective English language instruction. 

The CELTA is a teaching qualification that doesn't just cover the basic tools on how to teach ESOL, its strength is the supervised teaching practice component (with real students) in which trainees are observed and given immediate feedback on their teaching skills. Additionally, the CELTA is widely known throughout much of the world as the standard in entry-level ESOL teaching qualifications. It consists of the same course content and delivery regardless of where the course is taken.

To an employer, the CELTA confirms the job applicant/employee has received assessed, supervised training --- that he/she has been properly trained.

thank you soo much for the great help sister. May Allah bless you Ameen

Hi there,
In my own humble point of view, CELTA as well as other teaching qualifications are just a business and nothing more than a business. What does CELTA add to an experienced teacher who's been teaching for 10 years?? DO the 6 observed hours in the TP phase of CELTA add value to your teaching techniques? BUSINESS is just the operative word here!!! Remember that the name Uni. of Cambridge is the only concern for the vast majority of employers, especially Arabs who are in love with papers and rubber stamps :D

roa_douglass wrote:

especially Arabs who are in love with papers and rubber stamps :D

Hey!  You're repeating what I said about rubber stamps! :top:

Alliecat,, You are right !!! Those were your words and I'm using them coz they are true !!!! :cool:

Hi Rowa,

I am interested in doing the CELTA course here in Riyadh. However, I am not sure about which level of the CFER I belong to.

Please let me know how we can take it from here.

Thanks.
Adil

HI
I HAVE SEEN TOYR RESPONSE REGARDING CALTA
I AM GRATUATE/LLB  FROM PAKISTAN.CAN YOU HELP ME.AS ABOVE U   MENTIONED CONTECT YOU....I HAVE SOME QUESTION ABOUT CELTA
IN RIYADH WHERE I CAN START...
CAN I DO IT ONLINE
WHAT ABOUT FEE
HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE TO COMPLETE
WILL IT BE HELPFULL FOR ME IN FUTURE THANKS

@aleena  Have you taken the IELTS yet?  You need a minimum score of band 8 in all areas to qualify to study for a CELTA.

Hi Aleena.

Could you please avoid posting in all caps on the forum?

Thanks
Armand
Expat.com Team

Thanks
so first i have to do ILTES then i can do CELTA...where i can get all informatin about ILTES....and i am female...which institute offering CELTA?

Alliecat wrote:

@aleena  Have you taken the IELTS yet?  You need a minimum score of band 8 in all areas to qualify to study for a CELTA.

Aleena,
Securing 8 in IELTS is not a child's play. You've to read Alliecat's reply between the lines.

Anyways, Rowa Doughlas has something to offer. You may PM him for more info: https://www.expat.com/forum/profile.php?id=525343

You're right about between the lines, TLL ;)  I was being gentle.

As for Rowa's course, it's for men only but it's of no matter unless someone makes high marks on the CELTA.

Hello all,

Sorry for my belated reply.

As for the CELTA (MALES ONLY) in Riyadh, I would organise a course in my institute premises if I can secure 10 successful candidates whose English language level is at least C1 of the CEFR. Our proposed CELTA will be run in cooperation with the IH(International House) London.

Regards,
Rowa Douglas

Dear Mr. Douglas, I suppose you haven't gathered enough female English graduates to complete a CELTA course program for 2014? I checked the British Council site and no courses are running - any hope at least?

rtarsousi:

The British Council can best answer that question for you.  Send them an email.

@rtarsousi

You are absolutely right!! Wasn't able to find those ten candidates who can meet the high demanding requirements for the CELTA course; thus, been cancelled. I would suggest that you contact the BC (British Council) in Riyadh and see if they have courses in 2014; I don't think they have tutors , though. Unfortunately, BC is the only provider for such a course and they increase the tuition fees the way they like !!! Try the IH (International House) in  Dubai , the closest to you if you are in Riyadh. IH is a very reliable CELTA/ EFL provider in the region and their managing director , Clair Hattle,  is an uber-helpful lady who is ready to deal with all your enquiries .. I hope I helped a bit ...

Cheers,
Rowa Douglas

What about the CELTA Course Online?  Is that an option for rtarsousi?

Thank you for the information Mr. Douglas and Smurfette.  Will definitely look into it - fingers crossed. Smurfette: an online course also runs through the British council in Riyadh.  Will look into that too. Thank you for your support.

Regards,
RRR

The CELTA Online is a bit misleading; it's not online at all !! I'd rather call it CELTA PART TIME owing to the fact that trainees do some theoretical work online (with deadlines)  and have to attend at least three days a week at the training centre. It would take around 3 months to be completed. It's better to go the 4-week intensive course ; then just there you go..  I think it might be useful for rtarsousi, but the decision is hers !! I guess CELTA online (females) is currently available at the BC school in Riyadh. Contact them and get to the nuts and bolts of the course before you put your mind to it.

Cheers,
Rowa Douglas

Thanks again Mr. Douglas for the advice.  Will do  ;)
RRR