Housing, Social life & Arts Info needed

Hello,

We will be moving to Tallinn within the next few months. I have a few questions about what area is best to live for parents with two small kids (2 & 31/2) that need room but also like to have a social life on their own at night. I just don't want to be stuck out in the sticks with nothing to do.

I'm a 42 year old female who formally worked in the Art Service Industry and who is now following my husband around the world for the US Govt. I was a metalsmith/jewelry design major in college and would like to find out more about Tallinn's art scene. 

Any suggestions for online blogs, magazines, etc.

Thanks,
Allie

Hi Allie!

Welcome to Expat.com!
Hope the forum will be able to help you out.

Regards
Armand

Hello Allie,

I can't say I know Tallinn's art scene since I am much more the Tartu resident. I can tell you that the KUMU (National Art Museum) in Tallinn or perhaps Tartu Korgem Kunstikool (Tartu's collegiate art school) could provide a hint on where to look as far as getting networked is concerned.

You've got a few little ones, I see whom aren't quite school age yet, but I can suggest a few options (depending on your budget area).

But as I would likely assume US gov't job, it shouldn't be an issue, unless I am mistaken. And in this case if we're talking AT LEAST GS-6 scale (you know what I am talking about), this is equivalent to 3x what I make, and I make 20% above average Estonian.

So for a decent living arrangement, and locale in Tallinn, I would highly encourage Viimsi or Pirita area for a place to consider living. If you wish to live closer to Downtown, Kadriorg is a very good choice as well. I myself would consider the above choices if I had some kids to raise and wanted to live in Tallinn. In my personal opinion, having grown up in a city with less than 100,000 people, Tallinn is rather congested, but pretty.

Downtown is a lot of hustle and bustle, and you would have no problem with finding a social life in the old town, and everything is nonetheless accessible by bus, so you should be a-ok.

Here are some options.
I pre-selected some choices in Pirita (which includes kadriorg) worth checking out in the link below. (these are homes for rent)
If you need a decent size for a family of 4, I would select at least "4 room". In Estonia, they don't say 3 bed/2 bath. Instead its just "rooms" so a "3 room" apartment is usually 2 bedroom, 1 living room, and unmentioned is toilet or bathrooms. Just FYI.

All the best in your search, hope this helps.

-Houses
http://www.kv.ee/?act=search.simple&com … rch=Search

-Apartments
http://www.kv.ee/?act=search.simple&com … round_max=

Hi cjacobs86,

Thank you for your contribution :)

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team