Family of 8

Hello,
  My wife and I have six children and are looking to relocate.  We currently live comfortably in Idaho on just my income as an electrician. We do live very simply though.
  Can I get some feedback on what the cost of living for a couple with six kids might be in Ecuador?

Our children are 14, 12, 10, 9, 7, and 6.  We are looking to be outside of cities, potentially Cotacachi area or Yunguilla Valley.  I know, they're not even near each other.
  I look foreward to your responses and speculation, thank you.

Good luck with your decision, and if it comes to that, with your move.

I can't help with a guess on the expenses, but here's a blog that seems focused on living frugally in Quito -- it might give you some of the data you need to help guide you:
http://www.discoverquitoecuador.com/

Are you planning on working as an electrician in Ecuador?

Bob

Thanks for the link Bob.

Other than electrical, I wouldn't know what to do, it's all I've done for 15 years.

Does Ecuador have licensing requirements for skilled trades or national code requirements to be followed?

Clif

I don't know anything about Ecuador's laws, but most countries have some sort of restrictions to protect local workers.

Your best bet is to get in touch with their consulate -- they probably have one on the west coast, either LA or SF. They can tell you what the rules are, or there might be info on their website.

Bob

We are a family of 8 as well and are also planning on relocating to Ecuador.  Our oldest child is 14, the youngest one is 2.  I would love to get in touch with you, perhaps we can share some findings.  Have you found out a lot about cost of living?

$20,000 lets you live very well.

Cliff:

As you probably already understand, you will need a Visa to live here in permanent residency status. Ecuador has been very generous in granting Visas, especially to North Americans. The reason for this is that these immigrants bring money to Ecuador. One of the more popular and easy to get Visa is one for retiree's, which requires a continuous and permanent income equal to $800 a month for one person and $100 for each additional person. This is based on the premise that this is enough money to live on and the retiree would not need a job here. This income would be enough for the average Ecuadorian, but North Americans do tend to spend more. In any case, what few realize is that you are not allowed to work under many of the available Visas because the intention of granting a visa is not to take away a job from an Ecuadorian, but rather to provide outside income to the Ecuadorian economy. However, you can request and be given permission to work if it is job an Ecuadorian might not be able to fill: teaching English, for example. You will absolutely need this permission if you seek work here under most visas. So, the question for you is, what visa will you apply for? You may need to give this some thought.

Older threads discuss this in more detail and you can easily google information about specific visa requirements. Be certain you understand any work restrictions that apply to the visa you are interested in. I don't know, but I think that the only visa that would grant you work rights (if you don't have a retirement fund or annuity and need work) is a professional visa, and that is much harder to get. As with most other countries, Ecuador does not want to grant visas to someone who would fill a job that could be taken by an Ecuadorian.

As far as income you will need. The government's estimate, in your case $1,500, is doable, but would probably be very difficult for you. I would suggest that you will need at least $2,000 per month. Since the average income for Ecuadorians is less than $5,000 a year, you would be hard pressed to earn $2,000 per month. I am sorry to be so frank and maybe others have some good suggestions for achieving what you want. I never believe that something is impossible, but anything that seems impossible does take longer and requires perseverance. I hope you will find a way that meets your needs.

Clif,

It is always great to hear of new potential Expats to Ecuador.  With 8 kids you will need to stay in a place with room for running around outdoors.  Cotocachi and Yunguilla are pretty popular but this country has so much more to offer than that.

If you are planning your scouting trip feel free to contact me with any questions.  My name is Mike and I live in Quito. 

I will send you my contact information privately. 

Mike