Advice on nicaragua

Hello,

My husband and I are interested in visiting Nicaragua and possibly retiring there. Can anyone give us advice as to where to visit and stay? We are "low maintenance" travelers so we don't need a high end hotel.

We are interested in Leon and other areas you could suggest. We were thinking of visit in October. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

If you can recommend a relator to show us properties that would be great. Looking forward to meeting new people.

Thanks so much.

October is the rainiest month of the year in Central America. November or December would be much better time to visit.

Thank you for that advice. Any other tips would truly be appreciated.

Hello,
I would recomend you to stay in Hotel Austria which is in the heart of Leon City and its about $45 to $60 per night with breakfast included A/C and nice beds and super clean.You can stay for 2 nights in Leon is more thatn enough.Things to do in Leon,
Geleria Ortiz Gurdian which is the best colletion of painting from the 1580 up to the actual time and is only $1 to visit per pax,Must visit the Largest Cathedral of Cental America Asuncion build in 1747 and you should go the the roof to see an overview of the city and while you are there visit the food Market which is behind the Cathedral.The best place to have a nice dinner is call Meson Real by the Mediterraneo Terrace Rest.Cheap but good Local food Asodos Pelibuey close to Meson Real.
If you are very active visit Cerro Negro Volcanoe if not Visit Isla Juan Venedo which a Mangrove in the pacific just 20mni drive from the center of Leon and you could spot caiman and many birds and have a meal in Suyapa Beach and Restaurant.
Visit Granada Hotel las Islitas has a top rank by trip advisor,nice place.Places to visit in Granada Museum San Francisco $2 per pax ,main square,isletas in a boat ride $20 pero 1 hour and the tower of Merced $1 per pax.Places to Eat the best rest Zavuan grill steak uummm.Light meal Garden Cafe ,best pizza TelePizza.

Ometepe Island is my favorite place in the country super relax and the place to stay in playa santo domingo Villa Paraiso Hotel,great Foood.

Finish in San Juan del Sur in the pacific Ocean at Posada azul.
Having Frash seafood at el Timon Rest. and try the national coctail call MACUA,a mis of Guaba juice,lemon juice,orange and the best rum of Latin America Folr De CAña Rum

have fun

anything Im here

Gerald Duran

Gerald,

Thank you for all the information. You are very kind to share recommendations. I truly appreciate the response.

Thanks again.

eileen

We retired in Managua 4 years ago and it really suits us. We have lots of Nicaraguan friends as well as expat friends. It's easy to meet people here and everyone is very friendly.
I agree that visiting in October can be "iffy". If you can come in November you will be assured of really nice weather.

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

We live 13 miles west of Leon on the Pacific Ocean, own the unique little hotel on the ocean called the Playa Roca Beach Hotel. No chocolates on the pillow, but 1st world setting, the best there is.  We have rooms from 20-$45 for ocean front, so cheap, but that's Nicaragua.
My wife and another retiree also rent/sale homes in the area for people looking for longer term stays, but starting off at the hotel lets you get the feeling and ask questions before any long term commitments.
We are from USA and Calif/Hawaii and Denver, CO and have been here for 8 years now, planned on retiring but found that people loved our "location" that we turned out opening a small hotel. I'm looking at selling because of at nearly 63, 24/7 hospitality is too much for me and my wife, we want to relax this time for sure.
We would not move any place else, this is paradise, working or not, it's that good.  You can look at our homemade website for some pictures of immediate area:  playaroca dot com.
From my point of view living "on the beach" is 100% better than inland, the year round average temp. is 84-88 F, whereas inland it can rain and get get too hot during certain times of the year.
We actually live on under $1000 a month and deny ourselves very little, what we do make after years of not even breaking even we plow back into the hotel, it's kind of a hobby as well, little by little making it better.  We really don't need much as our entertainment is free, the perfect weather and ocean and beach take care of most of that.[Moderated]
If you want the golfing country club atmosphere, southern Nicaragua is getting into that stuff, up here we are still more or less the pioneers, less crowded/touristy but also less amenities.  Leon is close and is the 2nd largest city next to Managua, but Northern Nicaragua is far behind the promotional aspects so get very little promo than it deserves.
You can even write me a personal email for more detailed info and if you need more real estate questions answered I'll pass it on to my wife and her associates.  [email protected]

Great post Gerrald and Dave! Very informative and now I can add some more stops along the way. I keep hearing/reading awful things about Managua but NicaSpouses seems very happy with it.

Besides the standard, "don't travel alone at night" advice, what do you suggest for the solo F traveller?

Looking forward to meeting some of you:)
~Kitty