Western food shopping

We are coming from Australia to North Jakarta. Looking for best places for food shopping. Also imported steak/meat suppliers?? Been to Super Indo & Carrefour but wasn't that impressed...anywhere. Else that sells good fresh (imported preferably) fruit & veg???

Try hero, foodhall, ranch market, they all offer better quality meat and produce and stock a fair amount of western foods.

LindaGl wrote:

sells good fresh (imported preferably) fruit & veg???

This is Indonesia, they grow loads of top quality fruit and veg without any need to import any.

You're just going to the wrong places.

Local markets have everything you want and it'll cost you next to nothing.

Try lottemart use to buy australian lamb shank and sirloin/tenderloin (angus beef), they also have local/imported fruit. But I usually buy at palmerah in boxes :) or from a friend who live near by the importer :D , local fruit is also good esp mango, oranges, high fiber n vitamin C malang apples, snake skin fruit, kelengkeng, watermelon n etc2 :D

I admit for imported meat, the cut is decent n cones with the price. The different is only fresh n chilled with the local meat. For cooking local food usually use lokal meat, but steak n other foreign food cook with imported that what me n my mom usually do

Thanks all for your comments. I realize I am new in town and going to the wrong places hence this post  FOURWIILY, could u tell me where u go in Palmerahand also where the importer is (I.e the name of) near your friend?  Thank you all so much for your help!

If you want the central for imported fruits is Pasar Induk Keramat Jati (local market) and large option of fruit are there rather than Pasar Palmerah, but if I don't have time, i usually ask my friend to buy it for me near his house in grogol area. But you must buy these fruits in box/crate size and not in KG.

maybe you can try Total, its not located inside malls and there are 2 stores in Kelapa Gading

I strongly suggest any new visitor to Jakarta invest in a smart phone with mapping technology.
Easy to find anywhere and taxi drivers can't rip you off by taking thr tourist route.

The markets are usually less than clean but the fruit and veg are great.

Ranch Market and Kemchick have decent western stuff. And theh also do delivery. For sure Ranch Market does.

Hi, I'm Trinh we currently lived in Luanda Angola. We"ll be moving to Jakarta in February, we have a five years old Chihuahua that we brought with us from  Texas. I just wonder if anybody could help me on how and what I have to do to bring my dog to Jakarta. I appreciate for all the info and advice.

Peace,
Trinh

Lotte MALL Kelapa Gading is the best place

hi my name is Iyan and I stayed near pasar induk kramat jati if try to visit ranch market at kemang street or grand lucky at radio dalam street. for finding meat try PT.ADIB in kebagusan raya or PT.indoguna utama at woltermonginsidi st.

kramat jati is good to buy some fruits and vege also groceries. there are very cheap than other i'm sure.

LindaGl wrote:

Thanks all for your comments. I realize I am new in town and going to the wrong places hence this post  FOURWIILY, could u tell me where u go in Palmerahand also where the importer is (I.e the name of) near your friend?  Thank you all so much for your help!

Hi Linda,

The have a good supermarket in Senayan City, i think its foodhall.
Or maybe you can go to Permata Hijau, there's a foodhall there too..^^
i think kemang also have a few "fancy" meat store, i think its in Ampera raya.

mizzmagz wrote:

The have a good supermarket in Senayan City,

Oh, yes - the big mall at Senayan. Loads of western stuff at really crazy prices there.
There's even an ATM that spews out Dollars so you can really get ripped off.

There's another mall just over the road where you can by a top of the range Bentley or Jaguar.
That way you can get stuck in traffic jams but have real style whist you sit around watching the motorcycles scratch your paint job as they squeeze past.

mas fred wrote:
mizzmagz wrote:

Oh, yes - the big mall at Senayan. Loads of western stuff at really crazy prices there.

Lol, yes the price is crazy.
a regular meat can be bought in Giant or Carrefour,for half the price then the one in senayan.

mizzmagz wrote:
mas fred wrote:
mizzmagz wrote:

Lol, yes the price is crazy.
a regular meat can be bought in Giant or Carrefour,for half the price then the one in senayan.

I just can't see the reason anyone bothers going.
I took a look in marks and spencers last year. Their prices are more than in the UK. No way will I shop there.

Expats should realise, they're getting ripped off and they should wise up.

I live in North Jakarta. The best meat and deli store I've found there is Meat Me. They have some of the best meat in North Jakarta hands down. They also stock a range of goodies for the western palate. You can ask them to cook you a steak there and you eat it upstairs in their restaurant.

Meat Me

Just south of Pluit, drive past Emporium and after the bridge you'll see a sign to Bandengan to go left.

Now for Fresh fruit and vegetables, do yourself a favour and check out the market at Pantai Indah Kapuk. There is a huge amount of fresh good produce there and you will undoubtedly learn something about Asian food there. Some young vendors will also want to try there English on you so you'll be right to get some help if needed. Downstairs here is a meat and fish market. My advice, look, smell and try. The fish is live so you can't beat that. If you really feel game, you can venture to the Pasar Ikan, it's in Penjaringan near Museum Bahari (which is a hidden treasure itself). This is really the edge of most comfort zones for westerners. Your kids eyes will be wide eyed. My advice, give them the opportunity to experience this while they're young.

Hi anglo987 and welcome to Expat.com!

You could recommend it in the Jakarta business directory.

Thank you,
Christine
Expat.com team