Retiring to costa rica

From what I have read, both the cost of living and the levels of crime have gone up dramatically in the past two years.  As beautiful as Costa Rica is;  why would anybody consider retiring there?  I am not talking about people in there 20's or 30's, but someone my age (63), that is looking for a nice, peoeful place to retire.  Besides the beautiful country and not so friendly people (I've been there twice), why would anybody consider moving there at my age.

Hola Palmtree,

Yes, crimes have increased in Costa Rica; however, if you compare the statistics, it is "much" less violent here than in the U.S.  When comparing the statistic per 1,000 residents, CR has less violent crimes than Florida. Personally, I feel much safer here then I did living in the States.

The vast majority of crimes here are committed in Limon, Puntarenas and San Jose.  In 2012 there were 170 murders committed in Costa Rica.  Of those, 128 were committed in the three cities noted above.  Between the years 2007 and 2012, 11 U.S. citizens were sexually assaulted and there were 14 murders.  The majority of these crimes were reported to have been drug and/or alcohol related and most occurred in tourist locations.

Property crimes are high here.  Many "Gringo style" homes are broken into.  If you're the type that breaks into houses, you're not going to choose the little Tico house.  Your going to go for the large Gringo house with all the toys.

Point being, anyone contemplating becoming an expat needs and should do a lot of research and compare it to where they currently live.  There are of course advantages and disadvantages to any location.  Just depends on what "you" are looking for.

Hi Palmtree, I see by your profile that you are considering retiring in Mexico. My wife is Mexican and we are retiring in Costa Rica so I'll give you my view as to why Costa Rica is the better option.

As I'm sure you know Mexico's crime has increased dramatically in the past few years. I'm not an alarmist, am a brave traveler, yet I will tell you that Mexico is no longer on my short list of places to travel and when my wife goes there to visit her family I worry about her now. Mexico's crime is more of a violent type whereas Costa Rica's crime is more against property (breaking and entering to steal stuff).

If you're a nature lover Costa Rica has a lot more of that, and that's high on my list of things I like to do: hang out in forests, see wild animals, see rainforests and cloud forests, and of course beaches.

To me Costa Rica (except for San Jose') is much more peaceful and tranquilo than Mexico.

Yes prices have gone up the past few years but it's still cheaper than living in the U.S. Is Mexico cheaper? Yes. But Costa Rica is still very affordable if you look around.

My best advice to you - if you can afford it - is to spend a month or more traveling around Costa Rica and see for yourself. Compare it to Mexico. I see from your profile that you - like any single straight male - are interested in women. Well Costa Rica's Ticas are beautiful and warm and can be very friendly.

Is Costa Rica for you? You need to spend some time there, and read up about it on the net to find out, but to me it's a better choice than Mexico and we will retire there despite not having a huge monthly income in retirement.