Obtaining a visa while in Malta

Hello,
I have tried looking through each post to find out the answers to my questions but I still feel a little confused (I apologize if this has been answered previously).

I am an American traveling to Malta to do research for college. I will not be a student at the University. I will be observing teaching at one of the secondary schools in Malta, so I figure that is not considered work. Would I still be required to get a work permit for that? Do I to tell them that is what I plan to do?

Secondly, I plan to be in Malta for 5 months and want to arrive in August. I understand this is very short notice, but the trip hasn't been made final until now. I am very new to the whole traveling scene, but I understand it takes quite some time to obtain a visa. Since I plan to leave sooner than I will probably receive a proper visa (for a 5 month stay), should I buy a roundtrip ticket that returns within 90 days and then get a visa within the 3 months and change my flight date? Will I get in trouble for that/ is that even possible?

I hoping there is a possible way for me to get to Malta sometime in August. This is beginning to become very stressful, as I feel very alone in planning this trip. I have no help from my school, so any feedback given would be much appreciated. Thank you!
-Courtney

Why Malta?

I needed a place that was fairly inexpensive (i know it is by no means cheap), and I need an english speaking country with english speaking schools.

Then with all the hassle you are having why not the UK?
(After all we have a 'special relationship' :) )
Also, in Malta, lessons are not always taught in English.
It seems that happens only when there are English speaking students (only) in the class.

Have you applied for a student visa?

Also read through these posts as more information may be there

https://www.expat.com/forum/341-6-study-in-malta.html

Perhaps someone better placed than I can help?

Hi courtney,

welcome to the forum.

You can only stay in Malta (or the Schengen area of the EU) for a total of 3 months. This visa is normally not extendable. When you arrive as a US citizen in the Schengen area your passport is date stamped and you are allowed to stay up to 3 months.
So you will not be able to get a visa while you here and applying for temporary residency is rather difficult at the moment.

You should ask the Maltese embassy in the US about a long-stay visa or even a student visa before you arrive.

I hope you realize that the schools here are closed until the end of September for the summer holidays so there is no real reason to arrive in August (except sun and water).

You must be in contact with one of the schools or the Ministry of education so you should ask about the work permit situation for un-paid work or observing teaching.

For any longer stay than 3 months you will need to show the resources you will be living off and health insurance coverage.

As Redmik said , the UK might be a better option with less hassle as you can stay there for up to 6 months as a US citizen.

If you focus on Malta try looking at some ot the private schools as they tend to teach more in English than public schools.

Cheers
Ricky

Thank you for your replies. I already have a specific school I am going to observe. I was planning to arrive in August for a chance to explore the island before the school started. I have health insurance coverage. But, thank for your help, I will definitely get in contact with the Maltese embassy in the States. I appreciate the advice!

Hi Courtney,

ok, I'm glad you have most of the stuff arranged. Make sure the health insurance is not a travel insurance if you intend on staying longer than 3 months. Malta will not accept that for a student visa or residency.

Make sure that you deal with the visa/residency issue before you arrive as the rules have been changed recently and you will find it very difficult to solve it here in Malta. There is a 6 month backlog on applications ....

If you need help with the observation let me know as several of my Maltese friends are teachers and maybe they can help you in your assignment.

Cheers
Ricky

Ricky,
I just contacted the Maltese embassy in the U.S. and he told me I would have to go to Malta and then figure it out over there. He didn't say anything about a long term/ student visa. Do you think I should try contacting the U.S. embassy in Malta?
I really appreciate the advice and help! I will surely let you know about the teaching assignment!
Best,
Courtney

Hi Courtney,

my girlfriend is American so I know about the visa/residency problems.

Forget contacting the US Embassy , they only care about their own problems and jobs. They will refer you back to the Maltese departments.

The 'figuring it out over here' could be a problem  ! unless you are one of the lucky. I would be happy if I could go to the US and 'figure' out my residency there! But that does not work -))) That is why we are both here in Malta.

You need to be aware that you have 3 months as a tourist and after that you have to apply for residency under one of the listed reasons:

http://mhas.gov.mt/en/MHAS-Information/ … dence.aspx

Whoever is responsible for your observation should also tell you and deal with your residency here in Malta. You will need a permit for walking into a school here ! So get the backing and a confirmation letter from a school or the Ministry of Education.

Cheers
Ricky

PS Sadly , due to the new regulations, our own residency documents have been revoked and expired as of 1st. July 2013. We applied for the new ones 6 months ago and they have not been processed yet !

Ricky,
You have been so helpful with this process! I'm trying many different things before I leave so I hope that I will be able to figure something out. Otherwise I will just have to make a 3 month stay work. I'm really sorry to hear about the problems with your residency and wish you the best in figuring that out.
Best,
Courtney

Hi Courtney,

no problem,, we figured out the only way for Ilene to stay longer than 3 months was for her to become my ' family member' and that worked ! -)))

If you want to observe at a state school you need to be 'cleared' by the Ministry of Education , To do the same at a private school here in Malta you have to be cleared by the school board which is a lot easier. This info was given to me by a Maltese teacher at a private school.

Let me know if you need more information !

Cheers
Ricky