Thinking about moving to Lima

At present I live in Switzerland and am thinking about moving to Lima.

Some questions:
- Roughly how large is the English-speaking community in and around Lima? i.e. only a few, hundreds, thousands.
- Is there a social organization in Lima where English speakers can meet up?
- How well could someone manage, who does not speak Spanish very well? Luckily as a pensioner I have no need to work :).

Hi dear,

There are many expat organizations where you will be able to speak english like South American explorers, Internations, ACAP, Lions Club, Rotary, Amcham and many other.

I'm French and live in Lima since 7 years. French are about 7000 people. I don't have exact figure for American Canadian or English but they are much more than French people.

If you don't speak good spanish but have good contacts you will not face any issue especially if you live in residential areas of Lima like : Surco, San Borja, Miraflores, Barranco San Isidro or La Molina where most foreigners are living.

Take care
Delphine

delphineshouse.com

Thanks a lot Delphine, the details you gave give me a good idea of the English-speaking community in Lima.
I have also noted the link to Delphine's House, which could be a useful starting point.

Beware of Immigration. (moderated: no defamatory post). Ask your Embassy to recommend an Immigration lawyer and don' t ship anything over. You wouldn't believe the hassle.

Hello   
I was in LIMA  in January and February   

Many expats   seem to meet in a Bar near  Park Kennedy.   called the OLDE PUB

It is quite a nice area, SAFE

Well better get back to paper work, I am off to Ehypt in 1 week  Working 

Regards

Graham

Good morning
Nice to hear U did enjoy urself tho and yes OLDE PUB is nice join to hang out so as english PUB as well close by Park kenedy :) Be safe when U take a trip to Egypt and as We all Know it is an Hectic moments in Egypt at this stage tho .
Arnold.R

Hi Graham,

If you sum up English American Canadian Australian Asian and European speaking English you have over 50 000 people.

Take a look at [Moderated]

Over 3000 members in Lima. 60% expatriates and 40% Peruvian who have lived overseas for a Master degree and first work experience so they speak good english.

Each monthly social networking Internations' event there are between 150 and 250 people.

So don't worry, you won't be lost in Lima which is more and more cosmopolitan city due to economical boom and still cheap housing compared to other capitals.

Take care
Delphine

Hi El_Jost Since 1 Year I'm living with my husband in Lima. He is also retired and before we lived in Switzerland (Allschwil) my Spanish is not as well after one year. Also my English is gone;-) I would like to write more en German to your E-Mail about the life in Lima.

HI my name is Finet Martinez, my husband is American, there are thousands of foreigners here in LIma, they meet in Miraflores, in churches where they speak English, for example Union church, you can see their wep page if they have one i dont know, the weather is nice and the people friendly, my phone number is 999835538 and 4626449 you have to put the code of peru i think is 0511 not sure, well anyways we will be glad if you come to peru, my husband has many english speaking friends in lima and you can find thousands of friends in union church
take care, i am on facebook under the name finet martinez
Bye bye

Senor El Jost......

ok,, I live in Trujillo.....very few English speaking people here.. those that do,, practice their English with me - Thus - I have learned little or no Spanish....

Really... all the folks here are quite friendly,, and you will get by without Spanish except you won't be able to discuss anything in too much depth.... but,, you can make yourself understood and I get by just peachy !

What I do not understand is that your coming to Latin America,, but your seeking ex pats and English speaking communities / ?then what is the point? of coming here...

If you didn't like Igloos,, why would you go to the North Pole!

so,, I suggest,, stop obsessing,,,, get you and your beard here [ LoL ! ], dive in and smile - Really, it is all gonna work out!

pistachio

no im going to lima to get marride and stay there !!

Hello snuske59 -> To whom are you talking to? I think you posted on the wrong thread! :)

Thank you,
Aurélie