Working in Mauritius

Hi there,

I have been offered an interview for an offshore Sales role in Mauritius but I have not much information about the market and offshore companies in Mauritius.
Anyone has any information about these companies and the people who are running this companies?
anyone has any recommendation? Thanks a lot

Hi,

You mean you have been offered an expat contract to work in Mauritius?
It all depends in which field you will be working.
Most offshore companies in Mauritius are in the IT and financial sector (insurance, asset management, banks, etc). You have got offshore companies where the all the operations are geared toward foreign markets and others with a percentage of domestic assets like Barclays and HSBC.

Hi Kaviraj,

Thanks for your quick reply.
I haven't got the job yet but the interview. According to them I have to sell some financial products , properties and etc...The job description and offer is very attractive but the reality always is something else...I just need to know how valuable are those companies are in Mauritius or the all are based on big lies ? how is their market? is it really that good as they are describing it?

any information on that can help ?

Thanks,
K

The financial sector is strong in Mauritius and is fast developing with many international companies pitching their tents. It is among the five main pillars of the economy. Many foreign banks, insurance companies, management firms, etc are operating in the global business industry. However, even if most of the companies are legit and with sound reputation, there are also many fake ones or those not set up according to financial legislation of the country.

To avoid mishaps, I would advise you to research more about the company e.g if it has a permit to operate in the financial sector.
All financial companies, whether local, foreign, partly local/foreign, must be registered with the Financial Services Commission, The Bank of Mauritius, The Registrar of Companies, and the Mauritius Revenue Authority. These bodies act as regulators in the financial industry. If that is not the case, you must be on your guard.
Moreover, if it is a foreign company, it will have records at the Board of Investment (BOI) too.

If the company is operating for the local market and sounds too good to be true, then be cautious as Mauritius is a small developing market and generating billions takes time. You must also bear in mind that operating in the real estate sector in Mauritius is not very easy and if someone is selling dreams, like very high ROI in a very short time, then there is the possibility of a scam behind.

However, such things are very rare and I'm sure you will yourself working in Mauritius. :D

You can find additional information and you can also contact the regulators if you have doubts.

http://www.fscmauritius.org/https://www.bom.mu/

Hi Kaviraj,

Thanks again for your reply. I will do more research and share it with you.

Best regards,
K