Is Car finance available in KSA

I will be looking to purchase a car when I move to Saudi and I would like to understand is Car finance available or do I need to bring cash with me to buy a car.

I have 2 young children and I have heard a lot about how bad the driving is, so I will be looking for something like an SUV to protect the kids :-)...

I know it would be best to buy a second hand car and I assume like the UK it would be cheaper to buy from a private seller but would prefer that little extra and buy from the dealer to get the assurance the vehicle has been checked thoroughly.... Is that a fair assumption in that dealers provide and check the cars similar to the dealers in the UK?

Any suggestions and guidance appreciated

Hi,

Dealers offer similar packages to the UK.

Car Finance is available.

There are a few steps to cover first before car purchase.

1. Iqama
2. Saudi Driving Licence

Your UK driving licence is valid for 3 months.

Saudi Driving licence is not a big issue..easy enough.

I suggest when you get here, you may wish to use taxi initially and you can get used to the roads and traffic. Then shop around for the car.

Your employers may be able to lease a car for you (its an option you should consider).

Take care.

And when you do get a chance to go car shopping, if finances permit get a 4 X 4, so that you can go dune bashing if thats your cup of tea! :D

@SaudiUk: Thanks again... it seems you are the Oracle :-)

@Redgoblin: I do intend to get a 4x4 / SUV but that is more to protect the kids from the local driving... I would want to try dune bashing, however would never try it in my own vehicle...

Safety = Volvo! :D

But yeah for kids, you have to be extra careful. the rule of the Saudi roads, you just dont have to be careful about how you drive, but how the guys in all the lanes drive.

haha.. I think gone are those days when Volvo's were built like tanks but I would want something big and lots of safety features

wen u talk of big, u remind of TOYOTA SEQUIOA (hope its spelled correct)... its HUGE being a TOYOTA... and i feel theres good amount of safety as well...
my suggestion: never go for VOLVO in Saudi Arabia...

Car Financing is available on all cars but not older than 3 years than current date,
for example if for today you can get a 2008 model car financed regardless of make and model. All you need is a paper from your sponsor regarding your status, a bank account and a valid KSA driving license.

Ok a short 4x4 advice from a former used car dealer (me ;)

American 4x4 -
Dont buy American 4x4s that are imported used . They have maintenance issues for eternity.
And its so HOT here, the American specs Air Conditioning is a JOKE!
if you really have to go for an American 4x4 buy the Saudi Arabia specs with low kilometers (not miles)
Some things that can help u spot An American Spec and a Saudi Spec American car.
Saudi Specs usually have Al-Jomaih , Jazeerah, dealership papers/ emblems. 
American specs have MILES as their primary Odometer scale, whereas Saudi Specs have Kilometers as primary.

Japanese 4x4 -
Awsome, in all ways.
King of 4x4s = Nissan Patrol, Toyota Land Cruiser

Recommended 4x4s keeping in view overall feasibility and Safety of passengers are:

Nissan Patrol
Toyota Landcruiser
Nissan Armada LE
GMC Acadia

Cheverolet Trialblazers are a complete no no!

Any advice on other make/models feel free to ask!

Volvo in Saudi is like having an elephant in the desert, there is nothing you can do with it and it will die sooner than normal.

But then on 4X4s, Japanese are the ones you should be looking at ain any way. the European ones cant compete with them in the harsh climate that this country can bring up.. and the American ones are..... well they are american. period! :D:D

Toyotas Land cruiser still dominates the playing field though, both in functionality and dependability. People have complained that they are a bit bare in features, But I find that if you can spend a little more, you can get the full featured one.

Any comments on the Toyota Fortuner?
..Seem quite reasonably priced new. I've driven them may times in Thailand and never had a problem.

Thanks

hamlay wrote:

Any comments on the Toyota Fortuner?
..Seem quite reasonably priced new. I've driven them may times in Thailand and never had a problem.

Thanks

The Fortuner!
Well, there are some obvious things i noted that there should be ABS(antilock braking system) which is only available on the top full option model for SR.119000.

The Fortuner is built on a Toyota Hilux Chasis, with some Hilux parts, engine, and interior.

Compared to the FJ cruiser is built on Toyota Prado Chasis and resembles Prado Parts.

Fortuner is a good 4x4 for prices in the range of 70k (used). City use is excellent, but i heard top speeds on highways (above 170 km/h) are a bit vulnerable.

Toyota in general leads the market by 30 percent so Fortuner will be a good choice ! But no hardcore offroading though!

Many thanks for your reply SaQiB. I have never driven a FJ Cruiser but it looks awesome and with the 4-litre engine so by very fun to drive!
..I hope to be off-roading in a new(ish) 4x4 in the coming months!

Saqib: thanks for the response... I was thinking of buying an Audi Q7... any advice on that and how is that for parts and servicing... I would never consider buying an American 4x4... I do not think they are built to last

Is it best to buy from a dealer and off the forecourt... I have learned a lesson from the UK to never buy new because of the depreciation hit... I guess the same applies here

Leedslad wrote:

Saqib: thanks for the response... I was thinking of buying an Audi Q7... any advice on that and how is that for parts and servicing... I would never consider buying an American 4x4... I do not think they are built to last

Is it best to buy from a dealer and off the forecourt... I have learned a lesson from the UK to never buy new because of the depreciation hit... I guess the same applies here

Dont mention, sharing information is always a pleasure.

An Audi Q7! Aah ! now that is what i say "class"!!
Parts and Servicing costs more on an AUdi as compared to a Toyota. But i would also add that the frequency of servicing is lower on an Audi than a Toyota. Added the luxury experience Audi is a very good option in KSA if you can afford one.

If you need used Audis, do try to visit the Authorized Used Car Centre, they offer warranty on cars and such cars from there are very much "cleaner" than the one on private dealers showrooms.
Still there is a row of private dealer showrooms on khurais road, that have neat and clean luxury cars for sale.
I recommend doing a computerized test before you buy one. If you like any specific car , tell the dealer that u would like to do a computerized test and if he allows you can take the car with a representative of his to the test centre, there are many on khurais road, but if you have an Audi why not visit the Audi Service Centre on Khurais road and have the car tested.

But if you can afford a new one, go for it, these cars a built to last. Keeping in mind if you keep an eye on regular services.

P.S: Be alert nowadays on buying cars, due to the recent floods in Jeddah And Riyadh a lot of malfunctioned cars are overhauled and are being sold , which are not in any way the "cars" they should be.

hamlay wrote:

Many thanks for your reply SaQiB. I have never driven a FJ Cruiser but it looks awesome and with the 4-litre engine so by very fun to drive!
..I hope to be off-roading in a new(ish) 4x4 in the coming months!

FJ is my personal favourite. Its a RWD in normal mode and i love RWD cars ;) Acceleration is awesome. I drove some of these on rentals.
But keep in mind while buying such 4x4s do get them tested, as most of the used ones are heavily offroaded in sand dunes. Sand stuck in rear differentials, gears and axles can cause a huge malfunction . I had a friend he once brought a used Land Cruiser without a detailed test. a few weeks later the transmission broke down and when we got it opened there was sand in the transmission, rear differentials and axle joints.
He paid a hefty sum just to get his car up and running.

And i think we are going quite off topic! Can the moderators please move our posts to a new thread "Car Advice" ?
Thanks! :)

Thanks Saqib...I will take your advice into account when I go shopping

Hi,                 ........................................................................................................

Leedslad wrote:

I will be looking to purchase a car when I move to Saudi and I would like to understand is Car finance available or do I need to bring cash with me to buy a car.

I have 2 young children and I have heard a lot about how bad the driving is, so I will be looking for something like an SUV to protect the kids :-)...

I know it would be best to buy a second hand car and I assume like the UK it would be cheaper to buy from a private seller but would prefer that little extra and buy from the dealer to get the assurance the vehicle has been checked thoroughly.... Is that a fair assumption in that dealers provide and check the cars similar to the dealers in the UK?

Any suggestions and guidance appreciated

Your best option would be an X5, Q7, Toureg or ML class.

The service provided here for majority of the cars put the customer service idea to shame.

Servicing your car (European makes) at the dealership takes ages. Usually spare-parts are short and costly.

But your family will be safe.

I am also in the market for a car now, I have pretty much decided on the Hyundai - Grand Santa Fe.

I heard heard banks wont give you a loan unless you have 3 salaries paid, so they can see money coming regular.

Usually one salary must have been paid to your account with them.

SteveSmith wrote:

I am also in the market for a car now, I have pretty much decided on the Hyundai - Grand Santa Fe.

I heard heard banks wont give you a loan unless you have 3 salaries paid, so they can see money coming regular.

True.

I am spending my time on loan car just coz of that.