Details on Zimbabwe

Hi,

Need to know some details about Zimbabwe.

Earlier we also stayed in Kenya.
Please could you help us with more knowledge about the country.

Working Hours and weekly holidays
Experience in working with the locals
General Work culture from an Indian point of view.
Education Facilities for Indian expat children and names of some good schools.
Availibility of International and Indian cusine and names of some good restaurants(price,quality)
Religious places for Indian Expats like Temples, Gurudwara, JainMandir etc. Celebration of festivals.
Availability of Indian Groceries/Utilities.
Infrastructure like phone/electricity/water –availability and cost.
Housing Facilities
Availability of transport for Expat Men /Children and ladies
Availability of Domestic help
Recreational Facilities and social life of Indian Expat Community
Work opportunities for Expat women.
Medical Facilities
Security Concerns/Precautions
Additional  Comments.

Thanks so much,
Kirti

This would be really helpful for myself too! Any answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated :D

Hi Nitnat
To answer to the above questions:

•    Working Hours – Depending on jobs, it is officially 37-40 hour work week. Although in reality, things work differently
•    Experience in working with the locals – Like everywhere else, one has to examine one's own biasness to answer this properly
•    General Work Culture – Refer above
•    Education Facilities – Quality is high and there are plenty of schools in Harare and the surrounding areas however – cost is also high
•    Availability of International and Indian cuisine – There are plenty of good restaurants here. Prices vary, as everywhere else in the world
•    Infrastructure – Electricity and water are in short supply but people get by with generators and having own boreholes. Cost wise, I think it's ridiculous but try to get pre-paid meters for electricity that seems to make things manageable. Phone networks and internet connectivity are getting better
•    Housing Facilities – This is a cost factor that one has to consider. I think the renting cost is high but not as high as Lusaka. Again, everything depends on location
•    Availability of transport – I would believe you would have your own car/s
•    Availability of Domestic help – Not a problem but quality is a concern
•    Recreational Facilities and social life – Depending on personal choice
•    Work opportunities – This can be a problem
•    Medical Facilities – Quality in certain private hospitals is good although major surgeries i,e, heart cannot be done in Zimbabwe. Many medical insurances have standing agreements with facilities in South Africa
•    Security Concerns/Precautions – Use common sense
•    Additional Comments – I moved to Zimbabwe with very little information about the country and I have no regrets. But then again, I knew I was not going to live here for a prolonged period of time

Regards
Karen