Vietnamese Driver License needed to RENT a motorcycle in Nha Trang?

Can I rent a motorcycle in Nha Trang without a Vietnamese Driver License? I rented a motorcycle in Phu Quoc (island) and there seems to be NO problem whatsoever. 

If NO Vietnamese driver license needed, then does anyone know where is the CHEAPEST place to rent a motorcycle?

If a Vietnamese driver license is needed, then how do you take the test?  What is the best form for traveling in Nha Trang (taxi or buses)??

THANKS
Tien Tran

tien.tran wrote:

Can I rent a motorcycle in Nha Trang without a Vietnamese Driver License?

Yes

When I was there for my vacation last year, I just rented from the hotel where I was staying. That's the easiest way to go. May not be the cheapest, but is very competitive, and you don't have to worry about taking the motorbike back to where you rented and then take a taxi back to the hotel before you check out and leave.

Thanks Saigonmonkey....We are trying to find a rental house/apartment for 1 week in November. There was one site where the realtor lady can help find the location for us but she said that the LAW in Nha Trang requires a driver license. I think she is doing this to make money!! I would think that there are hundreds of visitors daily who rents motorcycles to drive around. How would they know where / how to take the driver's test?

do you like the hotel you stayed? Was it quiet?  We would like to be far away from the noise and clubs.  Any suggestions?  I looked in the HOUSING section but they are TOO expensive.

THANKS AGAIN!!

^I'm sure it is the law that everyone has to have a liscense to operate motorbikes here. It's just a matter of the police choosing to enforce it or not. (They don't.) But keep in mind that if you have an accident, and have no liscense, it WILL be your fault, regardless of whether it's really your fault or not.

I use this website whenever I making travel plans. I've already searched for hotels in Nha Trang:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/HACSearch?ge … 0421,o:-30

We stayed at the Yasaka Saigon Nha Trang Hotel. It's right on the main beachfront street, Tran Phu Street. It's up the street, a little away from all the clubs and noise. It's NOT that great of a hotel, but was perfectly fine for us. It had everything we wanted - decent room, good wi-fi in the room, good location with beach access, and motorbike rentals.

Use the Tripadvisor website and make your own decision on accomodations. I think it's a good site, but am sure there are others as well.

Yes , when you rent a motorbike . You just ask at the hotel where you will stay . If you want to rent where is quite . Let's try to find a hotel in the Tran Phu street or you can rent a aprtment . There are some a partment for Expat. you can rent for week, month

tien.tran wrote:

Thanks Saigonmonkey....We are trying to find a rental house/apartment for 1 week in November. There was one site where the realtor lady can help find the location for us but she said that the LAW in Nha Trang requires a driver license. I think she is doing this to make money!! I would think that there are hundreds of visitors daily who rents motorcycles to drive around. How would they know where / how to take the driver's test?

do you like the hotel you stayed? Was it quiet?  We would like to be far away from the noise and clubs.  Any suggestions?  I looked in the HOUSING section but they are TOO expensive.

THANKS AGAIN!!

Micheelle.ngo wrote:

Yes , when you rent a motorbike . You just ask at the hotel where you will stay . If you want to rent where is quite . Let's try to find a hotel in the Tran Phu street or you can rent a aprtment . There are some a partment for Expat. you can rent for week, month

THANKS Micheelle.ngo,  I have been trying to find using "Nha Trang Services Apartment" but they don't have anything for 1 week. They only rent by the month and they are expensive ($700 - $1,000US) per month. I'll try to call Jennie's Apartment to see if she will rent by the month.  Do you know of any quiet place that will rent by the week?

You might want to try the Binh An hotel. I stayed there for 2 months. They charge $15 a night. Ver Very clean and just the nicest people you would ever want to meet. I never had any problem w/ noise, but was on the 3rd floor. I rented a scooter there for $100 a month. They wanted  3m VND a month, but I offered 2.1M and they jumped at it. If you need more info Ph# etc. PM me and I can get it all to you

http://www.nhatrangsaver.com/ritchies-motorbikes.html

he's a good friend of mine; an expat who has lived here for 8 years. He has well maintained Honda Waves and Yamaha Nouvos. His weekly and monthly prices are the best in town (I pay 1.5 million per month for a bike from him)

For apartments, check out Nha Trang City Aparments, also operated by a Westerner...

Best of luck