Driving license in Malaysia

Hi all,

Can a foreigner take the driving test in Malaysia?

What are the formalities to get a driver's licence in Malaysia?

Do you need special or extra documents being an expatriate?

How much does it cost?

Thank you for participating ;).

Armand

You need to take the test and have 150-200 RM ready ;) for the final "payment" so local friends inform me

But to buy/drive a MyVi a licence is optional :lol:

Ok you do have to be able to understand the Malay theory course in Malay.....why not convert your home licence? easy no test!

It is possible to convert your driving license which the complication of the process just depends on the country you are from.Category A countries takes easier process unlike Category B countries.You may drop by any MPSJ offices for further information and the fee will be around RM80.The process could take you roughly 1-2 months.

Thank you both for your contribution! ;)

Aurélie

How much is insurance for 6 months..Honda Phantom TA150cc 1999, reg Thailand...thank you  a bike lic in Thailand is $5  U S....

Getting a Malaysian driving license is relatively easy.

Firstly, you can drive on a foreign license for up to three months. If you plan to stay longer term, you will need to transfer your foreign license to a Malaysian one. Some countries have "automatic conversion" and other require approval from JPJ Putrajaya. For more info, you can check this: convert your driving license to a Malaysian one.

If you don't have a license yet, it is a good idea to take the test in Malaysia. It is a lot easier than in most countries I've been to. The process is explained here: Getting a Malaysian driving license

Lastly, unlike some countries, you don't get a license valid forever. It costs 30RM per year and the maximum you can renew in one go is 5 years.

Thank you for your help Expatypus! :)

Aurélie

thanks for such a gd info

International Driving License – Using Foreign Driving License In Malaysia
You can check this blog. It is also informative. I hope it can help too.

Thank you azumi25188 for helping! :)

Aurélie

i also want to know how to get license in kl... plz

You  can check this:
http://driving-school.com.my/driving-license/how-to-obtain-a-malaysian-driving-license/

Thank you azumi25188! :)

Aurélie

Most expats never bother however..... who cares? who will ever check? IDP not needed if in English. Actually can be useful "me tourist" useful line in a polis check :lol:

I got a local licence just for ID purposes as has my address on it. And saves me worrying if my British one has expired. I never went to JPJ Putrajaya did mine in KL. If you get some "jobs worth" saying you need to just go back in another q' as often next person will do it. No need to surrender home licence. May be harder for some countries like India however, although I was told no problem if drive on left in home country. I also find that best to smile and make sure you are seated opposite a female staff member. They seem less likely to make issues for expats. That trick works for all government offices! And wear something smart. Look professional! Use same for immigration, paying parking fines etc

Expatypus wrote:

Getting a Malaysian driving license is relatively easy.

Firstly, you can drive on a foreign license for up to three months. If you plan to stay longer term, you will need to transfer your foreign license to a Malaysian one. Some countries have "automatic conversion" and other require approval from JPJ Putrajaya. For more info, you can check this: convert your driving license to a Malaysian one.

If you don't have a license yet, it is a good idea to take the test in Malaysia. It is a lot easier than in most countries I've been to. The process is explained here: Getting a Malaysian driving license

Lastly, unlike some countries, you don't get a license valid forever. It costs 30RM per year and the maximum you can renew in one go is 5 years.

where can get Malaysia Driving License without any test and training. I can drive well and I am driving car without license since two years ago. that's mean I want pass packaged driving license and how much the cost. if anybody know, just tell me and send me information if u have, pls.
very indeed
Thanks
ZAWIN KHAN
[email protected]

Hello Zawin Khan and Welcome to Expat.com :)

This discussion seems to be little bit old.

Feel free to start a new one on the Malaysia forum.

Thanks

Karen

where i'm going to giving my test???? please tell me the place or location......

mh1673802 wrote:

where i'm going to giving my test???? please tell me the place or location......

Go to a JPJ office!

http://www.jpj.my/

There are not many foreigners coming to Malaysia anymore who fall under the International Driving Permit but if there are any, such people dont need a local licence. Ive been using mine for almost 18 years with no issues.

mh1673802 - if you want or need a Malaysian licence then contact any Driving School and make arrangements through them to take the theory test (available in Bahasa Malayu and English) and once you are successful with that, you can take the practical test. The Driving School will be able to tell you about their classes and charges for tuition of both types.

JPJ which is the government department responsible for everything to do with vehicles and driving has a list of Driving Schools on its website, divided by State - http://www.jpj.my/Malaysia_Driving_Schools.htm

Hi, both my husband and I have UK driving licence.  We're debating whether we should convert our UK license to the Malaysian one or apply for a Malaysian licence and take the test there.  We are expected to arrive in KL hopefully by mid August.
Any opinions/feedback??

amboqq -  All that happens is you authenticate your UK licence and then you apply for your Malaysian one. It's not like the process in the EU where you can only hold one licence.  They return your British Licence. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-m … d-vehicles

The above process negates the necessity to take a Malaysian Driving Test. The local licence is issued automatically. Not speaking the local language (Bahasa Malayu) in which all the road signs are presented can make passing the theory part of the test rather difficult. The road tactics in Malaysia are very different to those in the UK and it takes a while to get used to what are safe manoeuvres. Unlike in the UK, you wont be able to rely on the majority of motorists adhering strictly to the rules. Even getting driving lessons or a local licence wont prepare you for that.

If you have issues renewing your UK licence in the future, then it may be a time to consider taking a local test (easier with practice). I seem to recall taking the test would also mean having a P plate for 2 years and the limitations placed on P drivers.

Appreciate your quick response. Thanks for making it so clear.  Now need to find a notary and so on.

Notary?  DVLA authenticate your UK licence for £5. Read the link. They issue you with a standard letter/fax - that is all you need.

Right now a friend of mine has had his attempt to convert his US license rejected about 3 times for different reasons (last time they gave no reason and a invalid phone number to find out why). It appears the current director has changed the procedure to make the process almost impossible to acquire a Malaysian license. When I did mine it was very straight forward, now you can be reject for reasons such as your passport number is different from your marriage certificate (30 years ago, of course you renew your passport). We spent an hour at JPJ in Putrajaya going over his application and finally the officer said proceed with the application. But five weeks later it was rejected again, this time without a reason the Friday before Hari Raya and can't get answer as to why this time.

Iskandarhack - marriage certificate not required to exchange driving licence. Its good to use the main JPJ offices, such as the one at Maju Junction. They are experienced. Also any reputable MM2H agent can help you exchange if you are prepared to pay their fee.

This may be helpful - http://www.mm2h.gov.my/pdf/mm2h11.pdf

I'm afraid it has to be signed and verified by a notary/solicitor..  We got an email from the legalisation office stating this.  Once that's sorted it has to be taken to the Malaysian Embassy in London for them to attest it.  We are overwhelmed with all the paperwork being done right now but I guess it comes with any move.

mboqq - sounds fishy this legalisation office!!  If you read the .gov entry it says you can also opt to drive on an international licence if you already hold  UK licence. If you are talking about a Pakistan driving licence, then it would have different authentication method.

Gravitas wrote:

Iskandarhack - marriage certificate not required to exchange driving licence. Its good to use the main JPJ offices, such as the one at Maju Junction. They are experienced. Also any reputable MM2H agent can help you exchange if you are prepared to pay their fee.

I didn't need one, but they wanted his marriage certificate, his wife's IC, his passport, US DL, letter authenticating it from the embassy (the JPJ in Shah Alam rejected it because the letter wasn't right, but Putra Jaya didn't say anything about letter - it was the passport number not matching that time).

But he's not in Malaysia on MM2H, but on a spousal visa (as am I), but it's immigration's job to verify marriage and legal status in Malaysia.

Actually the last time time the officer asked if we had a copy of his driving record or his ORIGINAL DL from when he was 16 years old (now he's 58, so 42 years ago). It's almost like they're making up reasons to reject the application.

Can I suggest joining this FB group - Foreign Spouses Support Group https://www.facebook.com/FSSGMY/

amboqq - those instructions are old ones. The DVLA letter is now required. The link I provided earlier gives the phone number to ring to arrange this.

Originally we are from Pakistan but are British nationals living in the UK. We obtained our driving license here in the UK.  Will double check what you have just stated.  It's an official email from Legalisation Office, Corporate Services Centre, Foreign and Commonwealth Office, Milton Keynes.

Thanks.  Actually it's the Malaysian Embassy in London asking for legalisation of DVLA documents. They will not attest it otherwise.

If you read the MM2H doc link I posted, it contains general information about how to exchange licences. It is the process for expatriates in general - it's just being presented by a group involved in MM2H - the rules are the same.

You had better ask for an original to be mailed to you rather than fax then :-)) and then you can show the envelope as well :-))

I'd be curious if anyone is successful in converting a license if category 'B' in very recent history, we've made 3 trips to local JPJ and 2 trips to PutraJaya and no luck. All we're being told it is the new director is very strict and had changed the procedure. It appears that he wants everyone to take the driving course, at least that's what one of the staff told us.

Iskandarnack - I can see the logic in spouses of Malaysians being required to take the local driving test. Join the FB group suggested. Ask the question there.

I agree regarding the driving test, but the course for someone with 40 or more driving experience? Even in the US my wife had to take the written and driving test. Actually my ex-wife was required to take the written test to convert her Indiana license in California.

As per my experience, as fresh.

1. Enroll to driving school nearby.

2. Join the theory class ( in Bahasa Melayu)  as prefer date suggested by driving school.
( Book Provided, do not forget to ask English version). [ you cannot skip this class, skipped consider disqualify]

3. Attend Computer test. Easy one. ( you can download software and try at your laptop).  Digital Photo will be taken before test, and If i m not mistaken it cost RM20-25

4. After pass the computer test. You have to attend next theory class ( in Bahasa Melayu).
Do not skip to be qualified.

5. You will get L license. Which is valid for 3 month, if u cross 3 month then Renew by                      paying RM25).

6. Attend 10 hours practical training. ( exact as what you have to do on practical test)

7. Fix appointment for driving practical test with driving school.
                      Upon pass : wait your P License ( 10 days, Driving school will call u to collect)
                      Fail then repeat from #5 with payment.

To get Full license you have to wait 2 years. After your P license expired, during renew you will get Full license without P.

Hope this infos help u.

You can find details about Malaysia on gov.uk  https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-m … d-vehicles (but the bit about being able to exchange may be old info).

The latest info seems to be that with the DVLA letter you can drive on your UK licence (as long as it is valid). If you are a tourist, none of this is necessary as you are not resident and therefore can drive on your UK licence.