Places to visit at the weekend

Hello Members,

Its really nice to be a part of this community. I am living in Riyadh. I would like to know what are the good places to visit at the weekend with family.

Thanks,
Naaz

Hi Naaz and welcome to the forum. i hope others can help you out in deciding a place. what are ur interests so that it'll be easier for others to let u know...

i heard about a race track, u can go there... heard of paintball, u can go even there...

Hello Shahab,

Please guide me, I didn't visit any of them.

Regarding my Interest any good place where i can enjoy with my family and kids.

Thanks,
Naaz

Places to visit with family

There are a number of amusement parks in Riyadh - Fantasy Land (thumammah) Star City (East Ring Road), Alhokhair Land (East Ring road) also most malls have a funfair (Faisaliyah, Granada, Sahara) etc..

For a public park with fields, lake etc..try Salaam Park (straight down King Fahd)

There is Riyadh Zoo (sorry have not been so cant say what its like, am sure others can give you some details)

For a weekend away in KSA, Khobar is about a 4 hour drive, lovely beaches etc..

Hope this helps

SaudiUK wrote:

There are a number of amusement parks in Riyadh - Fantasy Land (thumammah) Star City (East Ring Road), Alhokhair Land (East Ring road) also most malls have a funfair (Faisaliyah, Granada, Sahara) etc..

For a public park with fields, lake etc..try Salaam Park (straight down King Fahd)

There is Riyadh Zoo (sorry have not been so cant say what its like, am sure others can give you some details)

Hope this helps

Are these amusement/theme parks equally amusing for adults as well? :) (Like that of Disney land theme parks, Wild Wadi etc)

There is no disney land here.

Fantasy Land has a dolphin show

Salaam park is pleasant - something for all.

Other amusement parks are very children orientated.

SaudiUK wrote:

There is no disney land here.

Fantasy Land has a dolphin show

Salaam park is pleasant - something for all.

Other amusement parks are very children orientated.

thanks SaudiUk, Fantasy land is on top of list for the coming weekend :)

Are singles allowed ? what are the timings for fantasy land?
Else whats so special abt the Salaam park ? is it a theme park ?

Im not 100% sure on the timings of Fantasy Land and restrictions,
see the link below details:-

http://maps.google.com.sa/maps/place?hl … 5213229500

Salaam Park is not an amusement park - its Riyadh largest park with a lot of greenery  see link
http://www.ada.gov.sa/Eng/ADA/Left/DevP … oc_cvt.htm

enjoy

Thanks this is really a great piece of information for all of us. Please keep us update for more. Like Wadi Haneefa, I heard another place about 10 Km from hufof something call caves.. etc so we can enjoy

Many Thanks,
Naaz

SaudiUK wrote:

Im not 100% sure on the timings of Fantasy Land and restrictions,
see the link below details:-

http://maps.google.com.sa/maps/place?hl … 5213229500

Salaam Park is not an amusement park - its Riyadh largest park with a lot of greenery  see link
http://www.ada.gov.sa/Eng/ADA/Left/DevP … oc_cvt.htm

enjoy

thanks SaudiUk :) much appreciated

There is also Safari Resort near Riyadh...sorry have not been there yet hoping to go soon...but im sure a certain person on here will gratefully give us some directions and a description of how the place is. (Music Man am I right :))

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=52773185771

SAFARI SAUDIA RESORT
A private touristic entertainment area for families , 70 km from Riyadh Activities are:
1- sports
2- intellectual
3- fun.
phone number 056 969 7489

@mm: intellectual (?) care to elaborate?

ha, i believe its sports, games and pastimes that need some grey matter to participate in

Dear Friends

Wondering if driving to Bahrain be considered a weekend activity?

How long would the drive be?

ame

ame1117 wrote:

Dear Friends

Wondering if driving to Bahrain be considered a weekend activity?

How long would the drive be?

ame

Driving to Bahrain is just over a 4 hour drive from Riyadh. (It can take much longer depending on how busy the border crossing is...Wednesday Night & Thursday Morning are peak times)

Expats will need an exit & re-entry visa.

The views over the causeway are superb...blue water all around...a change from the desert around Riyadh.

4 hours to reach the causeway .. and another 2 hrs to cross the immigration if you are going on a weekend..

Dear Kamii

Well said

Hope that 2 hrs is an exageration:)

i hope so to.. the last time I went.. there was still only two counters operations.. and it took me more than an hour and a half to get thorough ..

I've heard they have opened up a total of 12 counters now.. so it shud be better now..

otherwise nas and air arabia flies cheap flights to dubai .. you can get a return ticket under 500 if you plan ahead

shahab.ali wrote:

Hi Naaz and welcome to the forum. i hope others can help you out in deciding a place. what are ur interests so that it'll be easier for others to let u know...

i heard about a race track, u can go there... heard of paintball, u can go even there...

Hi Shahab,

Could you please guide us about the paint ball events, exact location, price and timings.

location: Thomama Road keep going straight on the first 2 roundabouts, the 3ed roundabout where the HERFY restaurant is you need to make a right. after about 500m it will be on your left.
Price: 160 SR/person for four games included:(jump suite+ mask + gun+ 200 balls. Additional balls will be needed if u r trigger happy at 100 SR for every additional 200 balls.
you need to book a group of at least 10 people and booking need to be in Advance.
1st paintball is the name of the place, and they have a page on FB for contacts etc.
enjoy it, its a blast

Lake kharara
Lake kharara is very nice and interesting place near makkah road.

GPS COORDINATES: 24° 24' 21.76" N  46° 14' 37.12" E
It is a seasonal water body which becomes a lake in rainy season. The water from the surroundings is trapped in Red sand dunes forming a big lake, more than 2 kms in length. During most of year the lake bed is dry with big acacia trees providing shade and forming wonderful picnic spots. The place is worth visiting for many points, great Red sand Dunes without gravel or stones, approachable by 2wheel drive……challenging for 4x4s, Safe because it is near to Highway and makes an ideal family outdoor one-day trip from Riyadh.The best season to visit is from October till March when the day temperatures allow day-time outings……….and off course ideal during rainy season.
Distance:- About 50 kms west of Riyadh.
Route:-
1-Take Riyadh-Makkah highway…..pass down through the cut escarpment.
2-Cross the old makkah road…go straight…..Now you are in Muzamiyah area.
3-Cross the 2nd over head bridge(exit-6). you'll see a petrol/gas station on your left, you have to reach there after making a U-turn.
4-Make a U-turn from the 3rd overhead bridge.
5-Now you face Makkah-Riyadh direction, look for a link road at your right sign-posted (Arabic-Lake Gharara) just before the petrol/gas station.
6-Take this link road, going zigzag for about 6-7 kms through resthouses surrounded by sand dunes.
7-At bout 6-7 kms look for a desert track at your left…..take the track.
8- After about 500meters you'll see what you were looking for…….if on 2wheel drive…..stick to the track.
If incase of any difficulty pls mail me
[email protected]

@ArmanKSA, thank for the info, good one...

Hello suribhai -> This thread is dated 2011. :rolleyes:

Aurélie

malisohail wrote:
SaudiUK wrote:

Hope this helps

Are these amusement/theme parks equally amusing for adults as well? :) (Like that of Disney land theme parks, Wild Wadi etc)

seriously don't make me laugh to death. the amusement park in "khorais mall" advertises its self as "THE FIRST SAFE AMUSEMENT PARK IN THE KINGDOM". I think we are way off from having one compared to disney.

the zoo is nice, but haven't been there in quite a while. I have very fond memories of it.

https://maps.google.com.sa/maps?q=24.64 … a=N&tab=wl

this park is next to the national museum, which are both nice last I remember, and also close to them is the Masmak fort.

kamiii wrote:

4 hours to reach the causeway .. and another 2 hrs to cross the immigration if you are going on a weekend..

I crossed last weekend. the best time is before or at noon, which are not peek hours. Wednesday we went to the causeway around 2-2:30 pm (beginning and it only took about 30 min. and at thur. we went around 3:30, which is in peek hours. first time we went back around 11-11:30 pm and it took 20 min. back, but thur. we went back around 12:30-1 am and it took quit a bit of time.

ARMANKSA wrote:

Lake kharara
Lake kharara is very nice and interesting place near makkah road.

GPS COORDINATES: 24° 24' 21.76" N  46° 14' 37.12" E
It is a seasonal water body which becomes a lake in rainy season. The water from the surroundings is trapped in Red sand dunes forming a big lake, more than 2 kms in length. During most of year the lake bed is dry with big acacia trees providing shade and forming wonderful picnic spots. The place is worth visiting for many points, great Red sand Dunes without gravel or stones, approachable by 2wheel drive……challenging for 4x4s, Safe because it is near to Highway and makes an ideal family outdoor one-day trip from Riyadh.The best season to visit is from October till March when the day temperatures allow day-time outings……….and off course ideal during rainy season.
Distance:- About 50 kms west of Riyadh.
Route:-
1-Take Riyadh-Makkah highway…..pass down through the cut escarpment.
2-Cross the old makkah road…go straight…..Now you are in Muzamiyah area.
3-Cross the 2nd over head bridge(exit-6). you'll see a petrol/gas station on your left, you have to reach there after making a U-turn.
4-Make a U-turn from the 3rd overhead bridge.
5-Now you face Makkah-Riyadh direction, look for a link road at your right sign-posted (Arabic-Lake Gharara) just before the petrol/gas station.
6-Take this link road, going zigzag for about 6-7 kms through resthouses surrounded by sand dunes.
7-At bout 6-7 kms look for a desert track at your left…..take the track.
8- After about 500meters you'll see what you were looking for…….if on 2wheel drive…..stick to the track.
If incase of any difficulty pls mail me
[email protected]

thanks for also adding the simple directions, because google maps can't find the location

The King Abdullah park is really interesting...I have been there..very clean.
I would like to go to Wadi Hanifa..I just cannot find it..can anyone tell me about how to get there
I saw the pics on You tube...the cascades etc.....

What are the timings for ladies in Starcity and Hokair Land