Thinking of buying a car in Libya and exporting it (to Italy)...

I just took a hire 2010 Tucson for my stay in Tripoli (about a year), and I  reckon it would make a great 2nd car for us when we move to Milan at the end of the year.

Ordinarily I probably wouldnt look at one but I can't help but be attracted to the price. Apparantly they are sold here for about LYD15k which is half the price in Europe.

Has anyone any experience of doing this? Is it easy for a foreigner to buy a car in Libya or do I need residency (in which case could I get a friend to register it for me)? Could I just dirve it to Tunis and jump on the ferry?

Any advice would be appreciated before I get carried away with a dealership visit.

Cheers

Kev.

Yes , get to Tunisia , Djerbha , and from djerbha to italy , finish ,

I would think again before you commit to buying here.

- The specs of vehicles sold here are much lower than standard European spec

- Your warrantly is unlikely to be valid outside Libya

- Have you considered the tax and VAT which you'll have to pay in Europe?

- The resale or trade value will be bugger all

- You want to buy a Hyundai? :o:lol::lol:

Sandman6 wrote:

Add to this a good chance of getting improper papers from Libya that will make it hard to sell in the future...

I've seen a few 2008 vehicles being sold as 2010 models.  The papers were doctored, but it was clearly a 2008 model. 

Also, getting a friend to buy it and then taking it to Europe sounds like a recipe for headaches.  Transfer of title, proof of ownership, etc...

As Sandman hinted, driving is the easy part.

where did you see this price? our company bought Tucson with lowest options for LYD24K.

Sandman6 wrote:

...Mr.Sandman, you know them all !!!
you must have chilled here for a looong time :thanks::)

Thanks for all the good advice.

Looks like I should give this a swerve. The car was for the missus, but without parking sensors it's got a big thumbs down - even if it is White :rolleyes:

The resale on a cheap car like this not such a big deal (you'd already be 50% up on the deal in theory), but warranty on a cheapo car is a must so if that doesnt travel with the car its a no no too.

The price was mentioned to me by many sources ranging from our driver, to a friend at the embassy that just bought one, but I havent gone into the dealer yet to see what the OTR price is.

I'd hear that for LDY24k you can get a Santa Fe (yuk). That came straight from the horses mouth.

Anyway, it's enough to put me off the idea and back to looking around Romania or Bulgaria for our plan a)car - a 2008/2009 X5 3.0D. Seems there are a few bargains to be had there and the warranties are honoured....

Nite nite and thanks again.

Kev.