Cost of Living in Malaysia

Hi,

I have been offerred a job in Malaysia (Cyberjaya) as Manager in Back Office Operations.

I have 14 years Experience in Capital Markets and am currently based out of India. I am a post graduate in MBA with lots of additional qualifications and international work experience
I have a wife and a kid and aspire to educate myŽdaughter in an International School in Malaysia.

Plus we would like to live a decent life - Fully Furnished rented house ( 1000 sft to 1500 sft ) and a good car , in Malaysia

We would also like to eat out on the weekends and visit the neighbouring contries .

Please could you guide / advise what CTC ( Gross and Net ) is  aceptable as compensation to live a good enough decent and above average life in Cyberjaya / Bangsar looking at my aspirations, experience and qualifications.

I have been made aware that I will have to contribute 11% to PF and 26% as tax .

Please advise urgently

Hi Sneh_k,

According to few other thread, for such experience you have your salary should be above 5000MYR it depends to the company you're working with.

- a 3 rooms apartment/condo at RM1000-1200 since Cyberjaya/Bangsar are quite mostly high income people living in but not all, only in certain areas

- It's better to find place to live near Cyberjaya, the place it quite peace in compare with the city of Kuala Lumpur, plus u can save fuel cost and avoid toll

- Filling hawker food about RM20 daily (3 meals)= RM600,

- RM100 monthly for water & electricity (no air-cond),

- RM68 monthly for Yes 4G internet broadband

- about RM200 income tax monthly for salary of RM4,000 (this rate is for local, not sure if expat has different rate). PLEASE CHECK ON THIS, IT MAY BE QUITE SUBSTANTIAL! Go to hasil.gov.my

- Telephone (call rate is competitive here, it depends very much on how u use), try to visit maxis.com.my, digi.com.my or celcom.com.my for more info.

- basic sundries = RM200 mth

- U said that you wanted to visit neighbouring countries, here the tips, you can also get a Flexiroam if you going out to Malaysia and wanted to make or receive call to Malaysia. It cost RM10 per day for unlimited call. Avoid expensive roaming charge. Since it's very expensive to roam with Malaysia number while overseas..

I suggest you to visit here:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=94781

and here:
flexiroam.com

Sorry, blondeyes, but I would say way higher than that.

Rentals in Bangsar for that size condo start at RM6500.
Eating out can cost anything from RM30 if you eat at a hawker stall, to RM400 if you eat at international standard restaurants (price for family of 3).
Cars are expensive...if you want to buy a non-Malaysian car then prices start at RM100,000. If you want to rent a car allow RM1500 a month.
International schools vary quite a lot in price...the likes of AISM, German school, Nexus, GIS, Alice smith are about 30,000 a year for a child age 5 and get more expensive each year. They also have a deposit of about 27,000 when you join.

j0amelie wrote:

Sorry, blondeyes, but I would say way higher than that.

Rentals in Bangsar for that size condo start at RM6500.
Eating out can cost anything from RM30 if you eat at a hawker stall, to RM400 if you eat at international standard restaurants (price for family of 3).
Cars are expensive...if you want to buy a non-Malaysian car then prices start at RM100,000. If you want to rent a car allow RM1500 a month.
International schools vary quite a lot in price...the likes of AISM, German school, Nexus, GIS, Alice smith are about 30,000 a year for a child age 5 and get more expensive each year. They also have a deposit of about 27,000 when you join.

I'm sorry? Rental for RM6500 monthly? Are you sure?? I've never heard such rental prices.. Standard living people salary even 2x lower than that..

Let me rephrase, rental for such might exist for first class condo, but again, it's very rare.. normal apartment even in Damasara Damai duplex condo, rental is 1200 montly..

average salary in selangor is over 7k its a myth that salaries are low. looking at how people spend 7k is a poor salary!

In Kota Damansara/Kelan Jaya a decent condo is 2,500 RM. Nothing for less than that! Prices are shooting up as we speak

In Bangsar 6,500 RM is normal

I am from Indian and i got offer from Malaysia Bangsar salary as 4500MYR.
I want to know, how much monthly i can save if i live very simple life.

nileshingle wrote:

I am from Indian and i got offer from Malaysia Bangsar salary as 4500MYR.
I want to know, how much monthly i can save if i live very simple life.

Hi nileshingle,

I've sent you a message. Check your inbox :)

Hi blondeyes,
I have send you mail plz check it..

That's true rental prices are rising with fast pace.
It's rare to find anything under RM3000 in KL/PJ area, even basic Istara in PJ section 14 is RM4500-5500/per month.

Housing bubble is expanding with very fast rate, hopefully it will explode soon :D

Please anyone can tell me how much i can save monthly in Malaysia if i get 4500 MYR per month.

Hello,

Please help me with the cost of living in Kuala Lumpur.

Minimum Need:

a) Accommodation - 2 BHK ( Bed, Hall, Kitchen)
b) Food  - Breakfast/Lunch outside and dinner (self cook)
c) Recreational Activity - 2/3 times(1 week) dinner outside in   
   decent place, 1 movie in 1 week , one time drink(Beer,
    Alcohol)in a week.
d) Transport -  Public transport.
e) Car price - Maker ( Honda/Hundai/Nissan/Toyota)

Currently my salary in India is 85000 indian rupees(5000 RM)so please let me know that how much salary a Technical Lead of Software company with 7/8 yr of experience can ask.

Hi anunayjha,

Accommodation fully furnished (three bedroom) will be from 2000 to 3000rm ,good one
Food -600 monthly if u eat outside(I'm talking abt only breakfast and lunch)
Recreational activities-maximum 600 to 900rm
Public transportation- if you use trains,then monthly it would be around 150rm,if u take taxi then it would be 400 to 600rm
Car price depends..foreign cars are expensive here..
Regarding your salary,it depends on your expertise and field,let me know your your platform..I'm a recruiter too..

Hello,

I am working as Technical Lead of Mainframe Application Developemnt ( COBOL, JCL, CICS, DB2, REXX) and domain(Insurance & Healthcare)and having 7+ Yrs of experiance with IT services MNC.

I am not sure how the life you can have with the salary of 85000 Indian Rupee in India. But with the salary of RM 4500.00 in Malaysia especially near KL area, it would be tough. Unless you plan to spent all the money you earn in Malaysia for your family every month. Else, it would be difficult to rent a condo, own a imported car, have a holiday trip once a month, eat outside for breakfast and lunch, recreation few times a week and so on.
Housing            - RM 1500.00 (Average condo)
Car (Own)          - RM  800.00 (Toyota)
Meal(Eat out)      - RM 1000.00 (RM 50 for 2 meals a day x 30 d)
Meal (Dinner home) - RM  900.00 (Home cook - may be less)
Recreation         - RM  600.00 (RM 150/week)
Electric/water bill- RM  200.00 (With air conditioning)
Internet           - RM   70.00 (Normal TM rate)
Mobile phone       - RM   80.00 (Tele-line for husband and wife)
Petrol             - RM  250.00 (Averagely RM 50/week)
Tol                - RM  100.00 (Lots of tols around KL)
Medical            - RM  300.00
Miscellaneous      - RM  300.00

All total is RM 6100.00

Of course you can omit some unnecessary item such as eat out during breakfast and lunch, holiday trip and so on.. You would be live nicely in KL.

I'm not try to depress you. So far as I know, this is the life would probably like in KL area. I am living in Penang, I earn more or less this figure, but I just live just nicely without any luxillary life in Penang Island.

Good luck in your decision making! (Try to search more blog or forum to get the exact and firm data before you make any decision)

Hello i am from India got a job offer for Malaysia 4500Rm can any one let me know whether is average salary for living . I am single NO dependency  but still need to save some money ... out of 4500RM how much i can save per month  .and how much is the TAX deduction for 4500RM please let me .. thanks

Hi,

It all depends on your life style in Malaysia. You need to ask yourself some question
1. What kind of life you are looking for if you come to Malaysia?
2. How much money do you want to save in a month when you come here to work.
3. Did you company provide you with the accommodation and transportation?
4. How frequent will you back to India?
5. Where is your working location? (Different location have different living expenses)
6. The government tax will be bared by your company?

Try to negotiate for the accommodation and transportation from your company. It would be save a lot!

Good luck!

whats the exact deal on taxes for expats?? is it really 20% plus??

how about apt shares? that would be about 1 to 1.2k for a 2 or a 3 bedroom in bangsar or around ??

thanks

I m very Thankfull to u .I Also need that's information .
Be Happy Always
Take Care . Bye

Hello,

Please help me with the cost of living in Cyberjava.

Minimum Need:

a) Accommodation - 2 BHK ( Bed, Hall, Kitchen)
b) Food  - Breakfast/Lunch outside and dinner (self cook)
c) Recreational Activity - 2/3 times(1 week) dinner outside in   
   decent place, 1 movie in 1 week ,
d) Transport -  Public transport.
e) Miscellenous general cost of mobile,internet and Utility per month too.

please let me know that how much salary a Technical Lead of Software company with 6 yr of experience can ask.

I have been made aware that I will have 26% as tax for 6 months.

Please advise urgently

hihihi
u start write somthing and u chane howww

Do some research on latest postings about COL.  The information is already available.  Cyberjaya is no different to KL, Selangor (inwhich it lies) and other major comparisons.  I dont understand that people post without researching. You have to understand the situation yourself - so your first and burning desire should be for knowledge.  Just googling will provide you with so much info. Independence is an essential part of being an expat.  Without it, the experience will not be a success.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/co … rrency=MYRhttp://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-livin … pur/mumbai

Tax = 26% for non residents. Google this to find out more.....