Help with accommodation in Nairobi

Hi there,

I'm Gregory, and just accepted a job offer in Nairobi so I will relocate there sometime in the next six weeks. 

I was in Nairobi last week to get an idea of the city. Do I have to say that traffic was a nightmare?

I would like to have some opinions on where should I stay in Nairobi.  I'm opting for an apartment 2-3 bedrooms. I'm considering Lavington, Kilimani, Kileleswa, Upper hill, Riverside or Westlands.  My office will be in Westlands.

Which would be the best area for a European?  I'm 39, moving with my wife and ideally I would like to spend 60.000-70.000 KES.

Any comment or suggestion would be highly appreciated.

Cheers

Gregory

I would suggest Riverside or Westlands since both areas are nearer your office therefore your commute would cut down on traffic. Otherwise, if traffic is not an issue, Kilimani (Dennis Pritt Road vicinity) or Lavington are good choices; in my opinion, they are more secure than Kileleshwa and Upperhill.

P.S. When looking for an apartment, please make sure to avoid dealing with individuals posing as agents since many home-seekers have been conned. Connect with real-estate companies that have a website as well as a physical office that you can visit and talk to a manager.

Best of luck with your move!

I agree with Anne-Sharon regarding areas. 

In my opinion, Kes 60 000 - 70 000 is on the low side for those areas.  We were paying a similar amount, in Lavington in 2008 and I know that rents have risen a lot since then.  I have pasted some links to reputable companies, all of which we have used, in the past.  Hopefully you should get a good idea of what's available.

neptuneshelters.co.ke/load_categories.php?id=residentialLet

villacarekenya.com/web/index.php?option=com_iproperty&view=cat&id=1:properties&Itemid=193

hassconsult.co.ke/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=30&Itemid=38&intent=2

search.knightfrank.co.ke/property-to-let/kenya/nairobi?buyrent=rent&page=2

You need to bear in mind that it is quite common for rents to be charged quarterly, in advance, with a similar sized deposit, so budget for this.  Basically, rental agreements are the same as those found in the UK.

Thank you so much for your help guys.

Having seen a couple of real estate sites myself I thought my budget was on the low side however I was reassured by my company that it's doable.   Need to look into that more carefully.

I was under the impression that Westlands was more of an Indian/ South Asian community.  Nothing wrong with that but is it a fact?

Last, is Kileleswa not safe?  Can you actually walk around in any of the mentioned neighborhoods during the day, go to the market and so on, or will we have to drive anywhere?

I was told that it is better if we don't walk outside at all, what's your take on that?

Thanks

Gregory

You can definitely walk around all the mentioned areas during the day; it just gets risky when you choose to walk around at night.

Westlands is an area with culturally diverse residents; Parklands is more prone to have a higher rate of the Indian community.

Sharon

Hello Gregory,

I think Westlands is the best place for you, a lot of expats live here and you can walk around quite safely during the day, and everything is close by (shops,gyms, restaurant etc). You asked about Kileleshwa, I would not advise you to move there, in recent years it's had a bit of a crime problem.

Your budget is on the low side especially for westlands, for a furnished 2-3 room apartment you are looking at between 100,000-140,000ksh this would be in a secure apartment complex with 24hr security guard

I let out to expats and I have an apartment in Westlands one of my tenants has just left, if Interested send me a message and I will give you all the details.

As advised by other people on here you need to be careful, don't give cash to anyone until you feel comfortable and have seen the place etc. Just use common sense like you would anywhere else in the world ;-)

Goodluck

Parklands is alos a good area and you can get rents within that margin

[Moderated: Please post an ad in Housing section]

Hi Gregory.welcome to Kenya.traffic could get really crazy at times but my advise would be since ul b working in Westlands then better get a house in Westlands.i also live.in Westlands.n I can say its well secured.you could alternatively stay in loving ton koz it's near Westlands.

I am looking at moving to Nairobi and will be working near the airport where is a good area location for accommodation

Hello Gregory,

Hoping you and family are well.

I just  read your profile. I believe getting a house in Westlands would be a good idea since your office will be there. That way, you will avoid the traffic jams!!

Best wishes for you and family.

Be well.

Polly