Do i move to the phil, or is it easier to get my wife out to australia

vetretreat, Today 14:29:30.

" and verbally correct(far better than most educated Filipinos) with a flair of being written by possibly an American "

I noticed the writing as well, and as I was reading this and another post, something was ringing in my head, "wait a minute something's wrong here, lord have mercy this key won't unlock the door", Red House!  but interestingly enough, I hadn't quite decided what exactly was "wrong here".

So an explanation is in order --- *Standing, arms folded, foot tapping away*... Yep, the mental picture is right!

I like you...Where are u from???

OZ

rod iddles wrote:

OZ

No rod ...I am talkin about ramblingroads..where is he from...LOL

ok

Thatawesomeguy, Today 11:18:30. Said!

" the question the OP asked is  can i live on the philippines on my old age pension    which the answer is yes       can u live like a king   the answer is no...  will your life style be somewhat better than oz   yes yes yes    with a wife and 4 kids   no no no.... "

" Should he come over here with no additional money and just reply on his pension    A big bloody no.... "

" Fact food budget for foriegners will be higher then filipino..."

"  western staple foods expensive here. It is a hell of a lot more humid here  so u will find most Expats use a hell of a lot more electricity here then  u would for running aircon. "

Though I may not agree with every single word here, there is a very high amout of relavence, and "truth" is everywhere....

Not to get between you and the Filipina, or any other posters here, but it's HIGH TIME, people here on this forum, start speaking some truths to this man. Realizing that when I say some truths that all of our experiences are (somewhat) different, but there are commonalities a-plenty... Coming to the Phil's. for 3 weeks as a vacationer (usually) with a pocket full of money, and as all is (new), even exotic slums... seems interesting enough, especially as one views them from an air-conditioned taxi, or rental van. A 3-week visit is no time... everything about it is an illusion... (Everything!)...

I've been a-coming-and-a-going in the Philippines, for 8 years now, I've traveled within the country, more than most Expats I've met here, and almost all filipino's, because the filipinos usually don't travel much, we all know that. My longest stay at any one time in country was 16 months, with a couple of short trips to Thailand to break it up a bit..

To live in this country with a semblance of Western Life Style, is (not) cheap!  Food is not cheap. Electricity is not cheap. Rentals are not cheap. Motor bikes, vehicles-small cars/multicabs/vans are somewhat cheap, but petro is not cheap! There is nothing cheap about this place, and a man of 72 years who has lived his life in the West, is going to have to make tremendous adjustments--- Along with, that's a lot mouths to feed, bodies to clothe, and general human maintenance, to be responsible for. And there should be no mistake, being a land of milk and honey, rich foreigner, there will be pressure on all fronts to provide, for new immediate family; and then there's the never ending  other(s) family; who see the brand new ATM machine that has just arrived as a gift from God... "They" will prevail... they too, (will) get peso, how much, is how well one can withstand/manage the onslaught of the needs, that are as consistent as sunrise and sunset. A small pension is not enough, or too much, or relative...

I've lived in other third world countries, it's always the same thing, with regard to living expenses, if (One) wants to keep the Western Life Style, I'm talking (minimum) here -- you damn well  better  believe its not going to be cheap. If one owns i.e. has infrastructure, and owns an apartment, or a condo, or a house on land, that he has (leased) for 30 years, and one uses said pension only for eating, drinking, just the basics of living, then, maybe... There's a whole lot of maybes' baby --- but I guess in the end, one has to step off into the deep water and start swimming!! Time will tell pretty dammed quick... whether ones a sinker or a floater.

I got to tell you Mate, you're one tough guy, I admire your grit, with the way you have chosen to live, it ain't easy... I'm as tough as nails, my own skinny self, except I'm not!! 

(But nobody, and I do mean nobody is tougher than the Pilipino).

A piece of this conversation that is blatantly missing is the Wife's resources. Does she own --- apartments, or houses, a house --- or some land with a deed, not squatting like a huge portion of the population does. If she doesn't own; then it's clear what his role is. If she does own, have resources, then it becomes a head scratcher, and a horse of another color entirely.

How did I adjust, or how do I adjust, why do I keep coming here, like most everyone else who comes here, I adjust weeks, months, years at a time... There's lots of positives here, for someone like me, [ a hard-core-trial-by-fire-Expat ], as I go warily along my way...

Cheers.

Vetretreat,

I hail from Cebu, all the way to the top of the long dagger shaped island, once there, a ferry boat ride almost due West, about an hour one-way, to the Island of Bantayan.

Thanks for the like!

Cheers.

love bantayan  mate   my favorite island  lol  i was going to move to bogo for my love of that island   and the ease it would be to trip over every now and then...  but alas negros is calling me back

Plus  i used to live in duma   and i like to have a bit of internet 
I just saw the dude that owned moby dicks  the other day here in cebu    he sold up huh?

sorry last post was off topic    back to op original topic

take on board what Ramblingroads has posted here..
he is bang on the money...
and is only trying to help u

take care and whatever god u do or dont believe in   may he or may not bless u

Ramblingroads wrote:

Vetretreat,

I hail from Cebu, all the way to the top of the long dagger shaped island, once there, a ferry boat ride almost due West, about an hour one-way, to the Island of Bantayan.

Thanks for the like!

Cheers.

Other than the beautiful white sand beaches, suning on the beach and water sports; what else can you do on Bantayan to stave off boredom..Don't you get bored there mate over the long term??

What area do you recommend for a short vacation??...How much is the average rent there on a 2 bed bungalow??..How is the internet and TV reception?? How long have you lived there and what are your long term plans??

I may be going to Cebu in the very near future so your place looks like a great place to get away for awhile...

Just curious! Where are you from orginally??

Take Care

Thatawesomeguy wrote:

love bantayan  mate   my favorite island  lol  i was going to move to bogo for my love of that island   and the ease it would be to trip over every now and then...  but alas negros is calling me back

Plus  i used to live in duma   and i like to have a bit of internet 
I just saw the dude that owned moby dicks  the other day here in cebu    he sold up huh?

Greetings,

Yes, Bantayan is a pretty neat place, "far from the maddening crowd".

The Moby Dick bar-restaurant, has had a turbulent history. I don't know the present owner, I knew the original owner Mr. Barry, I say original, he was original to me, it was his in 2005, he and wife owned other properties, and he leased it out from time to time. Moby Dick stayed closed for long periods, then an American Chap, younger, said he was an Industrial Engineer, picked it up did some remolding and it was OK, but he drank pretty hard and soon "Moby" sank his ship... they went separate ways. The present owner, did quite a bit more remolding, I saw from the road when I drove by, I assume he leased it from Barry's wife, I did not know that "Moby" sank him too. But I'm not surprised... What part of Negros is calling? I've been to Bacolod and Dumaguete.

vetretreat wrote:
Ramblingroads wrote:

Vetretreat,

Thanks for the like!

Cheers.

Other than the beautiful white sand beaches, suning on the beach and water sports; what else can you do on Bantayan to stave off boredom..Don't you get bored there mate over the long term??

What area do you recommend for a short vacation??...How much is the average rent there on a 2 bed bungalow??..How is the internet and TV reception?? How long have you lived there and what are your long term plans??

I may be going to Cebu in the very near future so your place looks like a great place to get away for awhile...

Just curious! Where are you from orginally??

Take Care

Greetings,

I'm orginally from those United States, East and West coasts, and in the Heartland.

Ha, not much to do in Bantayan,[ St Fe ], other than to chill at beach side spots and the main street of St Fe, has a few bar-restaurants, the food is pretty good, and I don't say that lightly because the-food-sucks-big-time- in the Philippines, all is easily walked, or pedal tricycle, if one prefers. Bring your lady with you, it just makes things easier. Boredom is a (major) problem for me in the Phil's in general, doesn't' matter where I'm at, Angeles, Subic, Olongopo, Fuente Circle Cebu City, Cagayan de Oro, I need things to occupy my mind, other than pole dancers, and faithful trusty San Miguel(s), I like the Miguel's OK, but I can't drink like "real Expats" I ain't man enough to stand it... however like it or not the alcohol does take the edge off of things, and allows me to mentally slow down a bit.

There is atmosphere in St Fe, that's difficult to describe, it has character and it feels nice, the water is pretty and clean, very safe. I don't know exactly what St Fe has, but it's got something... Rentals, can be tough, not a lot of them about but they are here, small 2-beds, kitchen, living room, bathroom with real shower, 4,5,6,Kphp/month, the low end stuff, still plenty nice enough. But for the most part they want leases and deposits, the general stuff renters want. Hotels a decent room for about 1K / day.

[ Boredom ], I'm still working for a living, and I'm not interested in absolute retirement, other than retirement from certain types of occupations, I'd like to work for myself, or more correctly said, manage businesses that I own. Don't own any yet, but I am working on it, I've taken things slow, and my vision has cleared considerably, about investments and expectations in the Philippines. Expectations, Ha! The great killer of Expats,  I don't have many...

I should be in Cebu, later part of July, early August, send me an email... they have my address here, on this site, I can tell you more about things (I think I know...) there.

Be safe,

Always keep the faith.

Hi Rambling,

I thought u was from the US of A..I to have lived on both the East and West coast and hail out of the St. Louis area...

I have been in the P.I. for goin on two years now and was fortunate enough to find me a young educated woman from a small town in northern Luzon...We just had our 1st child not long ago and what a blessing that is...Boredom; no time for it...The kid keeps me busy half of the day...However when she is out of my hair I do tend to get quite bored just as yourself...

Have you ever been to Puerto Galera on Mindoro??...Probably not as nice as your area but just the same very beautiful here with the surrounding mountains and breezy weather..Not much need for Air...How hot does it get there in Ste Fe??? How long have you been here???

I like it here cause it is only 3 hours from Manila so every month or so I have to go there which makes living here more bearable cause after putting up with that cesspool for 2 or 3 days it makes returning here another welcomed adventure...One thing I like about here is the natives are very friendly and there is almost no theft...Most everyone leaves the doors unlocked, but I haven't brought myself to do that quite yet...Since the arrival of the baby haven't done much drinking other than my Remy Brandy before bedtime..LOL..

I will take you up on the offer to meet you in either Cebu or your area in the next 2 or 3 months...I have a POV..Can I ferry in to Ste. Fe???

Thanks

Ron

vetretreat wrote:
Anaheim wrote:
Thatawesomeguy wrote:

Cost of living cheap?   4% increase every year of all basic needs...
5 years ago  rice was 18 peso a kilo   now  its 40 peso a kilo.

Crime on the rise do to a larger and larger gap in the haves and the have nots.

Come and stay here for 6 months,  a year   try it out first before deciding to move here... please.
Do not put all your eggs into one basket.
and remember  her line  "cheap and bearable"
compared to what>?

i love this country and i love my partner   but  it is what it is mate   dont think it is something that it is not.

Bearable   lol   dont u think that is an interesting statement...

alright let me elaborate my previous message..

But before that no one is interetsed to know if you love your partner or not..no need to mention that. lol

Am talking about the cost of living here in The Philipines..which is really cheaper or maybe better to use the word "affordable" compare to other countries like Australia. but ofcourse it varies to your lifestyle. If you're the kind of a person who wanted to live the life that he/she can't afford then it's a different story. Food an dclothings are cheap. A regular individual spends around 7k php or maybe less than that every month for food alone.Food and groceries are not expensive to purchase in the Philippines.If you are prepared to eat local foods then your food and groceries will be quite cheap. Even if you allow for a fixture of western style foods the cost will not be enormous compared with what you would pay back home.Clothes can be considerably cheap as well it depends upon the person. so let's say 25,000php a month budget is enough for you to survive and live here in The Philippines.

Not really trying to be silly but you have to understand that foreigner's money can go far in The Philippines since his dollars will be multiplied...

And to sum up everything ,
The cost of living in the Philippines is considerably cheaper than in western countries. How frugally you want to live is entirely up to you, as the options are many.

Hi Anaheim..

I like your answer to Thats.........., but I have a question for you...Judging from your profile photo you seem to be a very lovely young lady, but your message to Thats is so precise and verbally correct(far better than most educated Filipinos) with a flair of being written by possibly an American...I don't want to appear to be stereo-typing but how is it your message doesn't fit the photo...Are you truly one in the same person or are you using the photo of someone else???...

My message doesn't fit to my photo? how come? that's really confusing my friend... I am the woman in the photo and I am a pure Filipina! I do speak tagalog and english as my second language. Thanks..

Anaheim wrote:
vetretreat wrote:
Anaheim wrote:

alright let me elaborate my previous message..

But before that no one is interetsed to know if you love your partner or not..no need to mention that. lol

Am talking about the cost of living here in The Philipines..which is really cheaper or maybe better to use the word "affordable" compare to other countries like Australia. but ofcourse it varies to your lifestyle. If you're the kind of a person who wanted to live the life that he/she can't afford then it's a different story. Food an dclothings are cheap. A regular individual spends around 7k php or maybe less than that every month for food alone.Food and groceries are not expensive to purchase in the Philippines.If you are prepared to eat local foods then your food and groceries will be quite cheap. Even if you allow for a fixture of western style foods the cost will not be enormous compared with what you would pay back home.Clothes can be considerably cheap as well it depends upon the person. so let's say 25,000php a month budget is enough for you to survive and live here in The Philippines.

Not really trying to be silly but you have to understand that foreigner's money can go far in The Philippines since his dollars will be multiplied...

And to sum up everything ,
The cost of living in the Philippines is considerably cheaper than in western countries. How frugally you want to live is entirely up to you, as the options are many.

Hi Anaheim..

I like your answer to Thats.........., but I have a question for you...Judging from your profile photo you seem to be a very lovely young lady, but your message to Thats is so precise and verbally correct(far better than most educated Filipinos) with a flair of being written by possibly an American...I don't want to appear to be stereo-typing but how is it your message doesn't fit the photo...Are you truly one in the same person or are you using the photo of someone else???...

My message doesn't fit to my photo? how come? that's really confusing my friend... I am the woman in the photo and I am a pure Filipina! I do speak tagalog and english as my second language. Thanks..

All I can say from my experiences of speaking to many educated Filipinos with masters degrees in English, such as an English professor I know...Your English is better than hers...More power to you...Did you spend time in the USA???

vetretreat wrote:
Anaheim wrote:
vetretreat wrote:

Hi Anaheim..

All I can say from my experiences of speaking to many educated Filipinos with masters degrees in English, such as an English professor I know...Your English is better than hers...More power to you...Did you spend time in the USA???

I am working in a call center!!!

Anaheim wrote:
vetretreat wrote:
Anaheim wrote:

Just 3 weeks ago I was in La Union and spent the night in San Fernando...Will be up there again in a month or two...would love to have lunch...Are you free...

vetretreat wrote:
Anaheim wrote:
vetretreat wrote:

Just 3 weeks ago I was in La Union and spent the night in San Fernando...Will be up there again in a month or two...would love to have lunch...Are you free...

San Fernando, Pampanga....

vetretreat wrote:

Hi Rambling,

I thought u was from the US of A..I to have lived on both the East and West coast and hail out of the St. Louis area...

I have been in the P.I. for goin on two years now and was fortunate enough to find me a young educated woman from a small town in northern Luzon...We just had our 1st child not long ago and what a blessing that is...Boredom; no time for it...The kid keeps me busy half of the day...However when she is out of my hair I do tend to get quite bored just as yourself...

Have you ever been to Puerto Galera on Mindoro??...Probably not as nice as your area but just the same very beautiful here with the surrounding mountains and breezy weather..Not much need for Air...How hot does it get there in Ste Fe??? How long have you been here???

I like it here cause it is only 3 hours from Manila so every month or so I have to go there which makes living here more bearable cause after putting up with that cesspool for 2 or 3 days it makes returning here another welcomed adventure...One thing I like about here is the natives are very friendly and there is almost no theft...Most everyone leaves the doors unlocked, but I haven't brought myself to do that quite yet...Since the arrival of the baby haven't done much drinking other than my Remy Brandy before bedtime..LOL..

I will take you up on the offer to meet you in either Cebu or your area in the next 2 or 3 months...I have a POV..Can I ferry in to Ste. Fe???

Thanks

Ron

Vetretreat,

Great Post->Great Story, congratulations on the baby and family. No, I've not been to the area you are talking about there, Galera, Mindoro. I've heard about it as a nice place to go. I'd like to see / visit there. I'm still "looking" for that something / place... I do intend to retire in the Phil's, but I'm approaching it (delicately).... slowly...

I have about 25k US, invested in Bantayan, the approach was and is the same as I've said, with the "slow and steady as she goes", mindset. I have plans of other investments within the Phil's but by no means does that mean only Bantayan, I'd like to keep things broken up not all concentrated in one place so I can still move around a bit, and not spend all my time in the same location. Like I said I'm not really the retiring kind...

I'd love to come "up" and take a look around there. Bantayan weather is typical Phil's weather, hot and humid, with some breeze.

I've been as far North as Baguio, I was there a couple of times but I didn't see much, my fault. But it is cooler there, especially as the evening approaches. When I was there, June / July, a few years back; it was still plenty hot, but a (little) cooler. I don't know what "winter  time" is in the Phil's other than the rainy season.

Ferrying to St Fe? Best to ask at your local port. There are places somewhat close by. But mostly the boats come from Hagnaya port, due West of Bogo city, at the top of Cebu Island.

I'm working a contract now, I'll be in Cebu / Bantayan late July... I'll be happy to show you, wife, and baby, (all)... around the area. Bantayan / St Fe, is a good place for you and family to relax, I guess that's the fame of St Fe, relaxation.

I'm not sure what day I fly into Manila, yet, I love airports in the Philippines, and I love Cebu Pacific airlines, or any kind of airlines... in the Phil's that can land in a local airport, close to where I'm going. I prefer to keep actual travel time down, along with the minimum wear and tear on me, thus the airport thing...

Always keep the faith,

Cheers.

Hello Expatiriates,
I enjoyed reading the forum here :)
There's nothing to suggest more though about retiring in Philippines.
However, please lets not destoy the perception of the people. We are in Expat.com, lets just focus on what we specifically know. My point is-One geographical area of Philippines which is the Mindanao is not a grave place. Its my province that's why I wanted to straighten it up-I would admit that kidnapping and killing exist, BUT only in the jungle which means in the very remote area. Very far and complicated transportation. Perhaps you heard the news before where foreigners  were beheaded. They went to that remote area where even I a Filipino can't dare to visit the place. Also, those foreigners are missionaries. NPA and Abussayaff are against the government and perhaps to the preachers too. Nobody likes those cruel people, but we can't deal about it.
The village where I grown up, we had foreign neighbors. My small city is quite organize and I actually like it compared to any other cities and provinces I've visited.

Our house is surrounded by mountains which can be viewed from the second floor-stunning view anddddd fog visits you in the evening and early morning.

The main issue is-not entire Mindanao is dangerous. You actually missing the best part of Philippines if you don't visit Mindanao. My cousin's partner is a coward of Abusayaff (muslims) hearing this news about Mindanao-duhh. Guess what, he don't want to leave Mindanao now. Built a huge house in Luzon, but ignored it. He fell in-love to the nature that he only seen in Mindanao.

Goodluck Fellows
KJ

i think you have a fair point of view,im very sure i can live there with $750 usd,it really depends on your why of life,i also adopt to the native style of life,and can pay all the monthly bills,my next trip,is to travel to a few cities to explore where it would be more suitable,to settle down,im considering mindanao and visayas.Ive seen lots of expat living very good on all finiancial levels,for me the most important thing is being happy and being able to maintain responsably,yourself and your love one.In any country some things willbe cheaper and some more expensive,si its up to you to balance things out to your particular case.I plan to meet up with selected misionary style people to help the poor,when ever i can.But if your a bar person for sure you will spend more,just be happy with what you have and always give thanks to God.Mabuhay and Wepa!!!

Anaheim wrote:
vetretreat wrote:
Anaheim wrote:

Well that is right off the NLEX...I could stop along the way...

vetretreat wrote:
Anaheim wrote:
vetretreat wrote:

Why do you have to? for what reason?

Anaheim wrote:
vetretreat wrote:
Anaheim wrote:

Why do you have to? for what reason?

Like I said before..To have lunch and share info about your area and where are the nice places to visit...Nothing more..LOL..I go to La Union and Baguio every 3 or 4 months and have seen the San Fernando exit on the way up...Heard it is very nice around your area...Is is true??

Take Care

hi stumpy
               just to bring you up to date with the aussie pension as of 2015.
if you are on the disability pension you can only visit the phil from oz
once in every 12 mths, for a max period 6wks then you must return, if you dont return
they will stop your pension,
im on the age pension, which has not changed,  so no problem with my pension
A friend of mine come to davao to visit me,fell in love, and married a filipina
but since then he discovered he can not come back to phil to visit his wife for 12mth
the aust gov. brought this in this year............ cheers Rod

rod iddles wrote:

hi stumpy
once in every 12 mths, for a max period 6wks then you must return, if you dont return
but since then he discovered he can not come back to phil to visit his wife for 12mth

It sounds like you know the current situation re the aged pension.

If someone is just about to get the aged pension what is the situation, with the pension, if they then go to the Philippines, or any other country for a few months at a time, or even long term ?

ABCDiamond wrote:
rod iddles wrote:

hi stumpy

If someone is just about to get the aged pension what is the situation, with the pension, if they then go to the Philippines, or any other country for a few months at a time, or even long term ?

I would definitely ask about overseas pension payments for those new applicants.. I did and was told they would consider it but only after I had been on the pension for 2 years.

Come and live here in the Philippines, I did it 12 years ago, never regretted it, I built a house here, I am married to a filipina and I have two kids. This is a very cheap place to live,Aussie is very expensive and if you take your wife there she will never leave, after two years when she has her residency she doesn't need you any more and she will find another, sorry but this is a very familiar pattern. Good luck.

agree, i came to visit 5 yrs ago for 21 days, my 20/20 hindsight says I should of used my return ticket after the 21 days.

Hello, Are you Rodney Iddles ex RAASC Australian Army around 1965 and did time in Shoalwater Bay training area???

stumpy wrote:
ABCDiamond wrote:
rod iddles wrote:

hi stumpy

I would definitely ask about overseas pension payments for those new applicants.. I did and was told they would consider it but only after I had been on the pension for 2 years.

I was mistaken when I believed that australia would honour its veterans and pay the the service pension......How naive was I ? My lifes journey took me to the USA for 21 years, the Philippines for 18 months and then back to OZ to apply for that hard earned pension. 1 Year in hell, Vietnam) I was told by DVA with not a murmur of compassion, not to let the door hit me in the ass on the way out. I should also point out that I worked and paid taxes in australia for more than the 25 years specified in the requirements pertaining to the age pension. What in hell does it matter where we live. We earned it so by god they should pay it.

Munchie wrote:

I was mistaken when I believed that australia would honour its veterans and pay the the service pension......How naive was I ? My lifes journey took me to the USA for 21 years, the Philippines for 18 months and then back to OZ to apply for that hard earned pension. 1 Year in hell, Vietnam) I was told by DVA with not a murmur of compassion, not to let the door hit me in the ass on the way out. I should also point out that I worked and paid taxes in australia for more than the 25 years specified in the requirements pertaining to the age pension. What in hell does it matter where we live. We earned it so by god they should pay it.

The service pension and the aged pension are different.

Any service pension should be paid regardless, as it relates directly to services performed.

The Age pension however is supposed to be a welfare benefit based on income and assets aimed to assist those that need it.

I am divided on that last one as I have to ask if I deserve it on that basis or not.  Of course I would like it when the time comes, but I also have to ask if I would be happy for thousands of "new" Australians to return to their original nations, or other overseas destinations, with an Australian Pension being paid out of the Welfare funds budget to assist the needy of Australia.

Obviously the Compulsory Super, the one that we contribute to, is different again.  We get that no matter what and no matter where we live.

G'day, cobber!

I am taking the plunge and going to my lady in the Philippines. She does have her own house, so that is a bonus. My living expenses will be very low and we will be able to afford to travel and live a good life. I am planning for us to come back to Australia at least once each year to see my kids and grand kids.

On my Australian pension and a smallish online income, I will live to a standard of living far beyond what I could afford in Australia.

If things change, well I can always come back to Oz and bring my lady/wife.

Philippines is a fascinating country, with many beautiful places to see, and I will try to see as many as I can.

OzFreddie, what part of the Philippines does she live in ?

I am doing the opposite.  Moving back to Australia when we can, i've been here about 2 years now, and I miss "civilisation" a lot.

I spent a week in the good part of Manila a short time back, and it reminded me of what I like. Decent shops, decent restaurants etc.,   I can't afford a Makati/Manila lifestyle, but Australian maybe...

I will be in Malolos, Bulacan, north of Manila

I have spent some time there and it is within fairly easy reach of nice beaches and national parks in Bataan.

Shops don't interest me much, but there is a Robinson's mall close and several decent resorts. Some nice restaurants, which do interest me, and a group of Ozzie blokes who seem to love it there.

I am the sort of person who gets pleasure out of getting absorbed in local ways of life and "civilization" per se is that important to me. I think each to his.her own and we get it where we can find it. Luckily, being Australian, we have lifestyle choices, as our esteemed leader puts it!

As you say: "Luckily, being Australian, we have lifestyle choices" 

Yes, compared to many, especially in the Philippines, we are very lucky in that respect. However it is easier for us to become more discontent over time, as our previous experiences in life give us more to compare with.

Many Filipinos are so happy with what they have, even when it is so little, because they have nothing to compare to like we do.

But once they experience the western styles.....  Hmm... that reminds me, do I risk exposing another Filipina to Australian living ?  This is where my thinking goes round in circles.

I hear what you're saying.

I have witnessed it firsthand, and there are plenty of anecdotal stories of the Filipina wife in Oz skipping after 2 years.

It's about striking a balance I think. For very little money I have given enough that my lady now has items that we in Oz take for granted: a flushing toilet, hot water in the shower, insect screens, an electric rice cooker instead of using the kerosene burner, etc. Just small dollars there make so much difference.

I am happier making life there better for people than struggling here on the aged pension!

My situation was that I like a comfortable life but not over the top.  My first Filipina wife was OK at first, in Australia, happy with anything, but then, over time, wanted everything that all her new Australian friends had.
The big house, the Swimming pool, etc...  but then it all came tumbling down when I wanted a Hyundai i20 for myself, (she had a Toyota Camry)....  She wanted our second car to be a BMW !!  I didn't need that, nor the loan to pay for it.

Well.... her first boyfriend after we split up had a BMW !!!!

I am now with someone else who is happy with a mid range lifestyle.  But i've seen things change before.  Is it too much to hope I can get it right this time ?  It is safer staying in the Philippines, from that aspect, but there are some pulls back to Australia that make it difficult...

Many have given sound advice on this forum over the years and other forums, live there first for at leas 6 months, rent first for around 1 year dont buy, don't show you have lots , the extend family try and take advantage of your money, will Lie with all sorts of excuses to get money from you or your partner, keep your money in your own country and live in your own country, again medical is better here in Australia, both my wife and myself were in Cebu over Xmas I got sick 1 week in hospital you pay for everything very expensive, sure I did think living there at one stage but no way now, when you getting older like myself better staying in your own country trust me.