Panama City Fall of 2013

Really enjoyed all of the comments in the various posts.

We are planning to go to PC late October or early November.  We plan on staying for six months so that we can explore a variety of locations throughout Panama, and based upon our findings determine if we want to retire in Panama, and if so, what area.

During our search period we want to be based in or near PC.  We  want to rent a furnished apartment in a safe area.  We are budgeting $1,700 for all living expenses, not counting expenses related to travel to visit potential areas to live in. 

Any and all comments will be appreciated.  We can see that each of you have your own favorite areas based upon your needs and lifestyle. 

We especially wish to hear from people that are familiar with the rental market in and around PC, and can suggest ways or places for us to get the biggest bang for our buck.

Thank you in advance.......

I think that's a good budget for rent, food, internet, eating out, transportation, etc.

I like the El Cangrejo area (sometimes you'll hear "hotel district" which I always assumed included most of El Cangrejo and adjoining areas of Obarrio and Bella Vista perhaps.)  Regardless, El Cangrejo has around it restaurants, bars, and shopping in what I think is a very safe area. Renting there will place you in thick of things.  Balboa Avenue and other areas have great views, but not the feel IMO of a neighborhood.

Check out Chris @
thestayathomegringo.blogspot.com