Jeddah vs. Riyadh

If I were offered a job in Jeddah, would it really be so much better living there than in Riyadh?

Pros and cons, si vous plait??

Jeddah: ocean, less conservative, ocean, less conservative, ocean, less conservative

Riyadh: Nothing

Agree with your Jeddah but Riyadh is one big shopping mall for women.

Jeddah: ocean, less conservative, ocean, less conservative, ocean, less conservative

Riyadh: Nothing

I swear to God that he said the truth, all the truth, nothing but the truth... well except the ocean part it's actually a sea... but who cares about that now!! :P

Of course I know about the sea :P 

But being a woman, there would still be many limitations placed upon me (meaning, I wouldn't get to enjoy the sea like you would) so, boys, you need to consider this from a woman's point of view!

BTW, good to see you, Max ;)  lol

Jeddah: Less conservative

Allie, Riyadh is one of the most fundamental cities in the KSA.  Here on my side of the country, women are able to go out alone (though not drive) so enjoying the sea or a restaurant or a coffee isn't an issue.

I see women of all shapes, sizes and nationalities out on their own and with friends; along the Corniche, enjoying dinner or shopping in the bazaar.

I actually was thinking about it from your point of view.

Jeddah is even a bit more free than things in Khobar/Dammam.

But being a woman, there would still be many limitations placed upon me (meaning, I wouldn't get to enjoy the sea like you would)

Obviously you don't know much Alliecat so let me tell this:

In Jeddah, and only Jeddah, they have many resorts who own their private share of the beach & water and they'll let you enjoy the sea just like any of us guys would do... enjoy the sun!

MadMaz wrote:

In Jeddah, and only Jeddah, they have many resorts who own their private share of the beach & water and they'll let you enjoy the sea just like any of us guys would do... enjoy the sun!

Sorry to correct you MadMaz, there are also such resorts in Al Khobar, i.e. BAE Beach and I think some others but I don't remember their name; we only went to BAE Beach.

Sorry to correct you MadMaz

Don't be sorry, that is some good news I didn't know about, blame it on MisterStretch for not telling me :P

hey Stretch,

I go out by myself all the time in Riyadh, not only to malls but out to eat if I feel like it--or to the souks--or a book store or wherever.  I haven't alllowed KSA to limit my freedom in that respect (ie. the mindset that if I can't find a companion, I can't do what I want).

What I was referring to, Mr. Maz, was being able to go swimming or diving or fishing--on a daily basis--anywhere anybody else can--without the forethought or expense of checking into a resort.  So, albeit I don't know much, I stand by my statement that I wouldn't be able make use of the sea like you can.  (Oh, and I know that's just the way it is here, I'm not making an issue of it--but let's not pretend that women are suddenly free just because they're in Jeddah).

Alliecat,

I give :up:

Please stay here in Riyadh... :thanks:

oh come on.. don't quit!  we were just getting a good dialog going!!   :lol:

You might be able to go in the sea, but you might also be groped and your person assaulted by rude, ignorant, misogynistic local men.

I was amazed at how often that happened when living in the UAE.  Here, I understand it's even worse.

What a corner of the world we live in.

I still think you would be freer in Jeddah than in Riyadh.

MadMaz wrote:

Sorry to correct you MadMaz

Don't be sorry, that is some good news I didn't know about, blame it on MisterStretch for not telling me :P

Actually even on this side there are a couple of hotels that have "beaches", like Holiday Inn (not far from the BAE beach in Half Moon Bay).

of course jeddah is much better

Sorry people, BAe do not have Half Moon Bay available to us any more. It's now being developed.

jillndave wrote:

Sorry people, BAe do not have Half Moon Bay available to us any more. It's now being developed.

Oups! Sorry to hear about that (mainly for the people living on the East coast; I'm not concerned anymore :lol: ).
Are there any other alternative for westerners on the East coast?

Are there any good schools for my British children in Jaddah or Riyadh? I am looking for a teaching job either in Riyadh or in Jeddah

I will be teaching at the American International School of Jeddah. I start in August andI don't know about anyhting first hand yet, but I can tell you that I have been very ipressed with my interactions with the administration including the Princiap of the Elementary School and the Superintendent. I am from US and will be a learning support teacher (special education) at the school.

OK thank you

Alliecat wrote:

If I were offered a job in Jeddah, would it really be so much better living there than in Riyadh?

Pros and cons, si vous plait??

Jeddah has a very different atmosphere as compared to Riyadh/Dammam/Khobar. Considering women, it is positively different!

You can find women more confident and active while working outside or participating in outdoor activities.

The Red Sea touching the city adds beauty and life in it further, as apposed to Riyadh surrounded by desert.

The weather is strangely different, with humidity at its peak during summers and even in few months of winter. The rainfall causes big disturbance in the flow of traffic.

Other attractions like shopping Malls, restaurants, beauty saloons etc are more or less the same as in Riyadh (with the only exception of the great 'Al Baik' Restaurant that is exclusively available in Jeedah and few other western cities of K.S.A). If you get addicted to Al Baik food items, you will never wish to come back to Riyadh :)

My suggestion, if you don't want to miss your circle of friends, do not move to Jeddah, as after all, it is not the shops, malls and beaches that are going to make you feel alive, it is your social circle!
But if you don't care or if it will not make much difference, do proceed to Jeddah and experience the new kind of life in K.S.A

dEAR fRIENDS

bOTH CITIES HAVE THEIR OWN TRADITIONS.
jEDDAH IS WONDERFUL AND rIYADH IS ALSO BID CITY

This is my 5th day in Saudi. Im staying in a compound here in Riyadh and the culture shock is quite intense here. As is the heat.

I cannot say much about Jeddah as I have never been there - but I do hope I get to see it as it sounds like a place I would relate more with (even a little). I will be here for a year and I must be honest that right now a year is looking mighty long. But there is a lot at stake for me being here, therefore I will see it though. I hope it will be easier as soon as I officially start working tomorrow. Looking forward to that.

Good luck.Saudi is not a bad place.All I can tell you is take it day to day and stay positive whatever comes your way.

svmkhize wrote:

.But there is a lot at stake for me being here, therefore I will see it though. I hope it will be easier as soon

This place is definitely not that bad, but surely it would test your patience levels. Just take it easy. I have always said its the initial 4-6 months which are the toughest for any individual coming here !!

Good luck :)