OMGGGG ROBBERY

One of my friends got robbed in Olayah area. He was in a mosque praying and had left his Laptop bag and other stuff and when he comes back he sees the rear door glass shattered and the laptop missing. :(:(

What do you friends suggest to do next in this matter? Help me quick :'(

don't left your laptop or any bags you have and personal stuffs in the car seats ( showing )..  when you out try to put in the trunk .. its usually happen everywhere ..

Yeah, it happened to friends of mine.  Within ten minutes of parking at Tamini, their SUV window was smashed in and Kindle and other things GONE.

Alliecat wrote:

Yeah, it happened to friends of mine.  Within ten minutes of parking at Tamini, their SUV window was smashed in and Kindle and other things GONE.

Just to add few words of caution, do NOT

- Leave anything on the car seat, specially like a bag or something
- Walk late at night in deserted places with a bag held on your shoulder that is on the driving side of the street

An incident happened to one of my friend, his car window was broken and thieves took the laptop bag.

Another happened with my mom, she just came out of the car with her bag on the left shoulder, immediately one motorcycle appeared with two guys, one snatched the bag (thanks to the belt of bag that it was weak). The belt giving support on the shoulder broke and they ran away with it (they drove the motorcycle in opposite direction to the traffic, so no one could catch them). If the support belt was strong, it would have hurt the shoulder badly!

Ladies, be careful.

Gents, do not hold the laptop bag lying on the traffic side while you are walking not on the pavement but the road. One of my friend got his bag snatched from a guy sitting on the rear seat of a moving car!

Damn. Looks like it is pretty common here. What has happened to one of the safest places on earth? :(

Well, gotta be careful and alert from now on i guess.

thegameguru wrote:

Damn. Looks like it is pretty common here. What has happened to one of the safest places on earth? :(

Well, gotta be careful and alert from now on i guess.

Few places are famous for such incidents in every city. Overall, the crime rate is very less and you feel secure most of the time :)

pity ,ahhh

Just adding my own experience, got my iphone stolen in E-Max on king abdul aziz road. It happened last sunday and at the same time, there were 03 more females complaining for the mobile theft.
Caution: Please lock your device with a security lock and keep your personnal photos and videos in your system.

i thought this stuff was common sense?

worse my friend experience, while taking a nap inside his car, his wife suddenly appear and ask him why the front door is open. They found out that they have been robbed. He lost 2 cellphones, luckily his wallet was in his back pocket.

another one is my friend pick-up car they left it infront of the villa and on the following day the car was lost and after a few weeks it was found in the middle of the desert. it was reported that some teenager tripping.....:)

better to report to the police the situation the early the possible and more careful for we know that there is really no safe place.......:)

You've got to take common safety precautions no matter where you are, that's all.

one time , one man accused my mom in a gold shop that she is a thief . in Addition he was yelling and pointing at her .

I could not stand his attitude and I was willing to give him a lesson of his life .

When my Mom looked at me - Scary looks - saying stay out of it and claim down !!

she look at him and said Okay , What did I stole ? here is my bag !! if you did not find anything I will take off my shoes and beat you till I feel that I took my rights from you !!

I was amused that my mom can be that claim and that anger at someone else but me !!

He look cautiously and search carefully but no matter how hard he tried nothing were found !

the funny part my mom only took her bag and left she did not even say a word than all I know ppl started to beat that poor man !!

you have to remember this is a third world country with patches of first world money.  Crime is the same as anywhere

I once saw an older Filipino woman beating the crap out of a guy (I think he was pakistani based on his mode of dress) on the street in Batha, using her handbag.

His friends were trying to get her to calm down, but every time she did a bit, she'd remember what the guy did and start hitting him with renewed vigor.

I didn't see what provoked the incident but based on her fury, I think he reached out and touched her inappropriately as she walked by.

He SURE wasn't expecting her reaction and think she taught him a good lesson that day!  :one

It's nice that your mother behaved with dignity, maa shaa' Allah. Unfortunately, not too many people know how to do that.

I probably would have called the authorities, but I guess it's better just to walk away.

It happens in any crowded city. I can't tell you how many times my car was broken into, when I lived in Washington D.C.

I had my favorite Coach wristlet stolen from my purse once. It wasn't even a very attractive one, just plain and black, but it was very good quality and had lasted me many years, so I was upset about losing it.  What made it worse was that this happened right outside the ladies' prayer room! I was not happy. However, one has to remember that these things do happen in big cities regardless of where you are.

sorry to hear mate.  there is a lot of poverty in Riyadh that the government is trying to keep concealed and you simply can't take any chances these days.

Alliecat wrote:

You've got to take common safety precautions no matter where you are, that's all.

Yes, exactly.

Hitch wrote:

one time , one man accused my mom in a gold shop that she is a thief . in Addition he was yelling and pointing at her .

I could not stand his attitude and I was willing to give him a lesson of his life .

When my Mom looked at me - Scary looks - saying stay out of it and claim down !!

she look at him and said Okay , What did I stole ? here is my bag !! if you did not find anything I will take off my shoes and beat you till I feel that I took my rights from you !!

I was amused that my mom can be that claim and that anger at someone else but me !!

He look cautiously and search carefully but no matter how hard he tried nothing were found !

the funny part my mom only took her bag and left she did not even say a word than all I know ppl started to beat that poor man !!

Assalam aleykum,
Oh dear that is how the previous generation solved their matters: with full class!
we have so much to learn from them.
Masha Allah. May Allah protect your mother!

abouyounes wrote:

Assalam aleykum,
Oh dear that is how the previous generation solved their matters: with full class!
we have so much to learn from them.
Masha Allah. May Allah protect your mother!

:one

There was an incident that happened in one of the malls in Riyadh that a local woman dropped her bag. An expat helped her pick it up for her and was accused of stealing. I'm already afraid of helping out to strangers.

adnanhashmi wrote:

Just adding my own experience, got my iphone stolen in E-Max on king abdul aziz road. It happened last sunday and at the same time, there were 03 more females complaining for the mobile theft.
Caution: Please lock your device with a security lock and keep your personnal photos and videos in your system.

Hello Adnan,

Even though your post is old, it got my interest. I have landed yesterday. Are you still in Riyadh.

Reading about your incident, was your phone stolen or snatched (and by who/how). Just trying to know I guess it means walking with a laptop bag/mobile can be a cautious thing to do.

Is there any general advice for areas which have higher possibilty of such incidents in Riyadh. I mean the areas to avoid. .

I am at Imam Saud Rood near Olaya Street at the moment and a total stranger in town...

Thanks for your reply.