Repatriating but feel like an expat

Hello,
My name is Fatou 21 year old University student on sabbatical in Dakar, Senegal. Coming from Charlotte, NC. Coming here has definitly been soul awakening experience for me. I definitly plan on visiting every part of Senegal and every bordering country after that. Just wanted to say hello to everyone here and hopefully i'll be sharing my mini adventures on my blog.
Take Care
Much Love!!!

Welcome on Expat-blog Fatou! :)

I have moved the thread on the Senegal forum.

All the best.
Christine

Hi Fatou :)

So tell me, why do you feel like an expat?

Hi Fatou,

Please keep us posted on your mini adventures. Tell us how you are feeling like an expat.

I have visited Senegal 3 times, the last visit being about 8 years ago.  I am planning on visiting towards the end of June.  I hear that Senegal has experienced some exciting changes. 

Aissatou

beniamino wrote:

Hi Fatou :)

So tell me, why do you feel like an expat?

Hello Beniamino,

Well to start off when I'm being introduced to extended family members or friends of the family I'm always called Fatou the American or "white/european" even though my passport clearly has the Senegalese emblem on it.
Even though I speak enough wolof to carry a regular conversation, some words and phrases have to be explained and defined. And I feel like i'm constantly asking questions and want to be shown every inch of Dakar.
When I left Senegal I was young so the only memories I have are in my family's home. So when I'm always amazed and easily awwed when I go somewhere new, which my cousins have no problem picking on me about :rolleyes:
When I go out shopping I have to take my grandmother or aunt with so not to get scamed, and not end up paying 10 mil for something that cost 2 mil 500 like I did my first day. I dress in traditional clothes but I still get picked out as an outsider and talked about in wolof, but i make sure to respond in wolof " you do realise I understand what you're saying right?" to catch that stupid look on their face :lol:
Theres plenty of stuff I can list on and on about, but I hope the examples above are enough. Let me know

Take Care
Much Love

zoedijais wrote:

Hi Fatou,

Please keep us posted on your mini adventures. Tell us how you are feeling like an expat.

I have visited Senegal 3 times, the last visit being about 8 years ago.  I am planning on visiting towards the end of June.  I hear that Senegal has experienced some exciting changes. 

Aissatou

Bonjour Aissatou,

Thanks for reminding me of my promise, I completely forgot about the blog.
Yes Senegalese is quickly changing and growing. Many of the people who have emigrated are returning and starting their businesses and shops, european and american influence with Senegalese embellishments :D
How did you like Senegal? Did you only stay in Dakar?

Take Care
Much Love

Ca va Fatou!

Thank you for your response. I too forgot about the blog.:rolleyes: I'm sorry that I did not log on before visiting Senegal in June as I recently returned to the States Tuesday 7/13 after spending 3 weeks in Dakar.  I would love to have met you! Maybe in December as I am planning to return for the holiday. 

My family lives in Gueule-Tapee a small community near Fann and Medina. I was fortunate to have good friends to give me tours outside of Dakar and take me to several beaches but other than that you can find me somewhere around Medina. 

It has now been my fourth visit to Senegal and I am contemplating making a gradual move as Senegal is a comfort zone for me. I used much of my time there researching business opportunities i.e. teaching English, purchasing a taxi or 2, opening a cosmetics boutique. Feel free to add to the list.  Do they sound feasible to you?

One other question:  did you speak conversational wolof before moving to Senegal or after?

Thanks,
Aissatou

thats cool babe, keep me posted.

i would like to meeting with in your free time to communicate and have good relax