New member saying hello - looking for new business oppotunities

Hi everyone,

Around 12 months ago I completed my Bachelors Degree in Public Relations & Marketing. Since then I've been in full time employment in an uninspiring role which has been invaluable for the experience that I have gained since graduating.

I have been a Marketing & Design Co-Ordinator for a import/export textile manufacturer, my contract is about to end, although I have been offered a further 12 months I am hesitant to accept as it's not what I really want to do.

Moving to Bali & using my skills either through running my own business or investing in someone else's is what I've always imagined doing. I plan on visiting in the coming weeks one last time to inspect a few opportunities that have so far been presented to me & explore what other possibilities there maybe that are not advertised on the internet currently.

I have a considerable amount of finances at my disposal which I had been intending to use on buying a property in Australia yet so far have not been able to find anything suitable, my 2nd option was to use the funds on a business, which had led me to joining this site.

I encourage anyone who wants to say hi to do so, I look forward to anyone's advice &/or suggestions that they may have.

Welcome to Expat.com locky84!

Wish you Good luck in your research,
Harmonie.;)

Hey, locky84. Sorry I can't give such advice:)

locky84 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Around 12 months ago I completed my Bachelors Degree in Public Relations & Marketing. Since then I've been in full time employment in an uninspiring role which has been invaluable for the experience that I have gained since graduating.

I have been a Marketing & Design Co-Ordinator for a import/export textile manufacturer, my contract is about to end, although I have been offered a further 12 months I am hesitant to accept as it's not what I really want to do.

Moving to Bali & using my skills either through running my own business or investing in someone else's is what I've always imagined doing. I plan on visiting in the coming weeks one last time to inspect a few opportunities that have so far been presented to me & explore what other possibilities there maybe that are not advertised on the internet currently.

I have a considerable amount of finances at my disposal which I had been intending to use on buying a property in Australia yet so far have not been able to find anything suitable, my 2nd option was to use the funds on a business, which had led me to joining this site.

I encourage anyone who wants to say hi to do so, I look forward to anyone's advice &/or suggestions that they may have.

why don't you try in indonesian furniture or handicraft business trading? I'l be glad to help you

Ehm...welcome to bali mate...
My husband from Perth and we stay in seminyak. Maybe you want to sharing and ask information from us, just contact us in here.

Renny

Hi Locky84

Welcome to indonesia , I was Indonesian and now i am Australian citizen. I love to do some business too in Indonesia . But I do be careful to start I guess until u know the situation and other things.in Bali or where ever u going to do. I am in the USA at the moment having my holiday. But I'll be in Jakarta on the 8th dec to 10th dec. Perhaps we can catch up to share and chit chat first .

Regard

Maretina

hi thor's brother!
looking at my expat friend doing their enterpreneurship, some opened a pet fashion shop, some doing web design, some doing wedding organizer, some open a restaurant, some open yoga retreat, some doing villas. I would say that the most successful one is the one who's doing restaurant, villas, organic food, and wedding organizer.
But if you re looking forward to open a business, make sure that you learn and acknowledge the legal process, make sure that you find a trusted local partner that's willing to invest and to start the business with you.
And with the business itself, make sure that it's something that people need, something that you enjoy doing, something unique that never been done before, something original!

I used to engage with this kind of conversation with my expat colleagues who's still doing labour job like me :p
the most crazy idea that we were talking about is to invent cocktails with liquor in the jelly bubbles haha but other idea was pretty promising
wow, now I have hundreds of ideas popping out in my head, I need to write it down!

Had better build business in Indonesia because Indonesia is the land of opportunity

Hi Locky,

Give me a shout if you are still interested in moving to Bali.

Tim

Hi Locky84!

wow such an interested plan for opening business in indonesia.
i think there are many opportunity to have own business in indonesia, since you know many things "can be" negotiation in here..ahaha.. well.. i didnt say for the bad way, but we can use that things for success

myself, i have my own family business in IT segment, is an internet service provider, a private company, and yes i really like business. also i have my own online shop. :) and i just graduate for master degree of business.

i think it is good to invest your money in property way.
but if you dare to open/run the business will be much better in return than property way :D

i agree with vina.varadilla, most successful and easier is open the cafe or restaurant or resort? i dont know. but the most important is you have to be love what will u do in your business!

actually, i am interested to know the export import business, i think it is quite profitable, but yet i havent try it. my brother now running import business china-indo, but i think the opposite, i'd love to try the export business.

i dont know, is there any things that your country like most and can get that things in indonesia with cheaper price :D heheh..

well, feel free to contact me.
i am very open to ppl who love the business! :)

A bien tot!
Chintya

hi

welcome to Bali...
i am working with a big property co.
i guided so many to success their investment, i ll be happy to advice and to chair ..

Welcome to bali bro!

I hope you like Indonesia

Shalom Locky84!

Wow, awesome stuff mate.. Imma, graduate in PR myself and have been working on Marketing, strategic partnership and International Relations stuff in the recent years.. Originally come from Jakarta, and only have been in Bali for a year & a half.

Apart from business ideas, have ever thought about establishing a Nonprofit/Foundation/Institute that goes along with your passion?

I'm also (trying to run & start up) a business that might be of your interest which involves a lil bit in Import-export stuff.

Anyways it'll be cool if we can share ideas mate, feel free to send me a message :)

Peaceful Greetings

When considering a new business enterprise on Bali the first rule of thumb is to exclude certain businesses (presented in no particular order):

-Furniture export
-Jewelry making and export
-Handicraft making, a shop or export
-A bar
-A restaurant
-A modest resort/villa for rent
-A real estate brokerage company
-An NGO or Yayasan (not for profit)

Why exclude those businesses?  Simply because there is already a huge proliferation of those sort of foreign investment companies on Bali, and the competition is fast and furious.

If one is going to venture into any of those areas listed above (and that list is not comprehensive) be sure that your idea and business plan is totally unique to what is already here.

The most successful foreign entrepreneurs I know on Bali went for business ideas that were either never previously thought of, or that had little, if any competition.

If you want to look at one such unique idea that took hold here in Bali by American expats Ben and his wife, Blair, have a look here:

http://bigtreefarms.com/index.php/page/content/4/2

I could opine endlessly about the brilliance of their foresight and their determination to make their ideas work here on Bali.

But they are not alone.

While it's an overused cliché, the fact remains…think outside the box.

Ubudian wrote:

The most successful foreign entrepreneurs I know on Bali went for business ideas that were either never previously thought of, or that had little, if any competition.

This is the key, be aware of what will get you in the right direction.

[Moderated: Please post in Bali classifieds]

Open a bar....or club....

Yea, too bad, the person who start this discussion never showed up again ahaha.... :P

Hi everyone thanks for your replies, although I havent replied to everyone personally I have been regularly checking back on this site and reading everyones thoughts and advice which I'm more than grateful for receiving.

I'm still working towards my objective but work commitments in Australia have gotten to the better of me over the last few months.

hotel, restaurant or clubs, consider your background education.

Hi,

I'm an australian architect moving to Bali to open a business with my associate. My husband is a flamenco guitariste. So we have afew options open. I'll be there in november to put everyhting into place. If you are still around then, we could meet.let's keep the contact.

Best regards,
Catherine

-A bar
-A modest resort/villa for rent

Oops.... we opened one of each of these, fingers crossed both are breaking even, not making a fortune but they are producing a better return on our investments than most banks are offering.

If you ever come to Jimbaran, check us out :)

Sean

[Moderated:Post out of subject]

[Moderated]

Sounds great Catherine, feel free to pm me anytime.  I look forward to hearing from you :)

Hi,

I am making natural soaps and other natural body products. Some of my products have been sent and sold in Australia.

I am looking for partner to expand my business. The main idea is to make the products here in Bali and to sell them overseas. Another project I have in mind is to open natural soap making and body products classes in Bali for tourist.

Let me know if you are interest with this idea and I am open for any questions and discussion.

Regards,

Ledu

Hi Ledu,

I suggest you to post an advert on the Bali Classifieds, Looking for, Business Partners section. This can be helpful.

Thank you,

David.

Hi buddy, welcome to the forum

Ledu…Flores…and what an incredibly beautiful island of Indonesia to call home.

Flores is a real gem of Indonesia, just waiting for the lapidary to cut a few more facets so it brilliantly shines as the truly awesome jewel that is Flores.   

If I wrote “selamat” it would be trivial, as surely one can never take credit for their origins.

My own long term investment strategy is on Flores because there is no doubt what the future holds for this God blessed island of Indonesia.  In my own lifetime I most surely will not see the fruits or harvest myself, but I have no doubts that my three sons will. 

In my humble opinion, (and you seem very capable and knowledgeable), I would start off here in Bali, but all the while with the idea to move your business back to Flores. 

Good luck Ledu.  You are among the few Indonesians I have “met” on forums who clearly have dreams and plans for business success which are both viable and very likely to be successful.

David wrote:

Hi Ledu,

I suggest you to post an advert on the Bali Classifieds, Looking for, Business Partners section. This can be helpful.

Thank you,

David.

Already done.

Thank you, David

Hi Ubudian,

You seem to know Flores quite well. Hope you enjoy Flores like I always do.

Thank you for the advice and wishes.

Like you said, Bali is a good starting point to open my own business. There are still a lot things to do and prepare about my business but I really hope I can learn a lot from opening a business here. Some experience and a trusty networking would be useful for the future.

Once again, thank you Ubudian!

Sama, sama Ledu.

Indonesia has many gems that make up this great country.  Bali is just one of them...and for certain, Flores (thankfully yet to be realized) is yet another.

Yes, I love Flores, and if the future finds all of Bali headed down the toilet (a future I find very unlikely), there is always our "Plan B" which would be to move to Flores.

As a native of Flores you are a very lucky man, but with that luck comes great responsibility and hopefully your commitment that the future development of Flores does not include the many mistakes already made here on Bali.

No more are there any questions about the opportunities and future of development in Flores.  The only question these days is how long, and, can Flores maintain its unique identity and cultural roots? 

Selamat lagi, and cheers!