Looking for work

Hi,

I'm Kenneth from Malaysia. Graduated from University of South Australia and recently moved to Melbourne (therefore, my network consists of a number of my relatives). I'm currently looking for graduate/entry level/junior job in the finance industry.

I had uploaded my resume in career portals such as seek, mycareer, careerone and etc and also joined linkedin but no avail.

I've been posting out numerous resumes to companies for the past 2 months but only managed to land 2 interviews each month. Should I continue to do the same till I land a job because I read somewhere that someone takes nearly half a year to get a job whereas some takes a much shorter time. Hope that someone here provide me advice on this...

P/S: I am authorized to work in Australia

Thanks

ck89 wrote:

Hi,

I'm Kenneth from Malaysia. Graduated from University of South Australia and recently moved to Melbourne (therefore, my network consists of a number of my relatives). I'm currently looking for graduate/entry level/junior job in the finance industry.

I had uploaded my resume in career portals such as seek, mycareer, careerone and etc and also joined linkedin but no avail.

I've been posting out numerous resumes to companies for the past 2 months but only managed to land 2 interviews each month. Should I continue to do the same till I land a job because I read somewhere that someone takes nearly half a year to get a job whereas some takes a much shorter time. Hope that someone here provide me advice on this...

P/S: I am authorized to work in Australia

Thanks

At least you are getting interviews every month compared to people not getting any calls. It seems that there might not be a lot of jobs to the number of applicants. So it might be a very competitive market at the moment. I think you will just need to continue what you are doing. However, have you ever considered maybe doing some other type of networking? Do a google search to find the meet up.com for Australia. Then search under the Melbourne area. There is a group called "Network of Accounting & Finance Professionals in Melbourne". Sometimes people get jobs through networking rather than applying for jobs online.

You could try 'LinkedIn' which a lot of employment agencies use to search for staff.

Don't get disappointed. Keep sending out your CV for each and every job you think may suit you.

I agree with jb09 that you should be looking at networking to give you more exposure.

Thanks jb09 for the recommendation in meetup.com. I've just joined a couple of meet up groups, hoping to meet them soon. Probably one of the best way to start networking especially for like minded people and hopefully will able to get a job over there.

Thanks stumpy for the encouragement. Yea, I've registered over at LinkedIn and will further send out my applications. I'll probably ring each of the companies up to confirm my status of applications after a week or so if there's no news from them.

I was just curious, did companies come to your university to recruit before you graduated? I was going to recommend that you should also use your alma mater if they have career placement for alumni too.

Here in the US, companies usually start recruiting for students that are graduating within the semester or the next semester before the student graduates. The student will start after graduation.

Yes, we did have career fair from time to time.

In my case, I was still an international student when I was studying in university. Upon graduating, I went back to Malaysia and worked in a finance company for almost 2 years.

My family and I have recently migrated to Australia, on the 12th of May to be exact. I had a couple of calls for interviews in a few days time and next week. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Sounds like you are somewhat consistently getting calls for interviews. At least you will get practice in doing interviews! If you've only returned back in May, it might just be a little longer to get that job offer. 

Best of luck!