Areas best for a family in Babados

I will be living in Barbados with my two sons starting in late December for 5 months (will be on Fulbright at UWI) and am having a difficult time finding affordable housing close to the beach.  I would like to rent a 2 bedroom for around $1500-$1700.  Are my expectations unreasonable?  What areas are best for a family and for safe running?  Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Oh, and I am also struggling with finding an appropriate public primary school that doesn't use corporal punishment.  The online information on public schools is next to nothing and the private schools are financially out of reach for us.

Thank you!
Tasha

Hello Tasha.

Welcome to the forum! :)

For more interaction, a new thread has been created from your message on the Barbados forum.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Tasha:

I have been looking myself, and I keep finding good rentals on CaribList.com .

Take a look and see what you can find.

Jack

Tasha,

I can only speak to some of your questions. For living around stores and events, the west and south coasts are it. The public transportation is very good in these areas. The West coast has housing above the coastal road and up towards the ABC highway. Even if you are a few KM from the beach that is still close. The Parish of St. Phillip is where many Bajans live, and is more of a residential area. The south coast has a boardwalk that starts after the Accra Hotel/Resort, runs west. The boardwalk is part of the coastal management zone program aimed at protecting the beaches from erosion. It is located in Hastings and runs for about 1.5km. It is not long, but it is a beautiful run along the sea. The best way to find a place is to actually be there and look, although, I know that is difficult. Also, if you do not have a representative helping you, you can negotiate the price of an apartment. I can not answer the question about schools. Corporal punishment is allowed in the schools. In summary, the south coast from St. Phillip to Bridgetown, and the west coast from Bridgetown to Speightstown are areas where most people live. Getting to the east coast is difficult, well not really, but that is the perception. The east coast has some of the most beautiful places on earth. Good Luck.