Language immersion

dear all,

i really need help now,,

i am goin to take the summer program, like a short course for the summer, to learn spanish..

so i got 2 offers,

one is to stay for few months in granada,, i have a good friend of mine from granada,, they said its a very nice town, and people are so friendly, also a student city..

2nd is to stay in vitoria. i also have a friend, he used to be my spanish mentor here in jakarta. he would let me stay with his parents as they dont speak english at all..so that way i could immerse with the language and culture as well..plus vitoria is also very beautiful..

ok so i am now pretty confuse as i never been in spain before.
so my questions would be,,

which you think better?
if i wanna learn the language also to immerse with the culture,,
should i stay longer in vitoria or granada?

i am concerned as well about the accent,, which is easier to understand, and it might effect me as well, as i will learn first from them,, i might end up having the same accent as they have,,

so i really really need opinion,, plus,, if you guys have any other alternatives of where i should learn it..

i am looking forward to receiving any answers here..

thanks alot!

Granada is much better :) Don't worry about the accent.

Hello :)

I currently live in Madrid, with a family that speak very little English, and although I maybe learn more vocabulary, it's very difficult to learn how to use it correctly in that environment. I'd recommend Granada so you don't feel overwhelmed! .. Talking from experience! Whatever you decide Spain is great and once the bases are covered Spanish is wonderful :)

Have fun, Laura .

Granada is a great city but it is full of tourists so you are much more likely to find yourself speaking to foreigners rather than Spaniards. Vitoria is a pretty ordinary sort of city to be honest, nice enough but nothing special. On the other hand I've always found the Basques very welcoming.

For language learning the school is pretty unimportant. Everyone there will be foreigners anyway. Spaniards don't go to Spanish classes because they already speak Spanish so it's the mixing with real Spaniards that matters and it looks to me as though you'll get more of that in Vitoria.

As someone else said though Spain is usually good fun so wherever you pitch up you should be OK.

gracias a todos!! thx :)

Hi laura,
I Moved to madrid last week and am looking for some english speaking people to meet up with! I am 24 from glasgow, my facebook is /lucy.turnbull.7 if you would be interested in meeting up please let me know- i would love to talk to some english speaking ppl!!
Thanks,
Lucy