Paying for things in other currencies

I will be arriving in Nairobi next week. 
In checking various websites and with some emails sent back and forth, it seems that many Kenyan businesses have no problem discussing prices in US dollars (I am from the US). And those businesses also seem to accept US dollars, especially the hotels I have emailed.   I will assume they probably accept other common currencies as well.  How deep does that go with Kenyan retail businesses?  Can I expect that in the average (not fancy) restaurant also? How about grocery stores, pharmacies, convenient stores and laundry services?  But even if they do, shouldn't I expect to get better pricing if I pay in Kenyan shillings?
Jerry

Hi Jerry,

i pay always with KenianShiling.All my Visits i pay with this never with US-Dollars.I pay my Visa even with Euro.
Also the Guesthouse in Mombasa i pay always in KenianShilling.
But i dont know how is it in the Hotels.

Greatings Gerald

Touristic companies such as hotels and safari tours are more likely to accept currencies from the West; however, stores and local restaurants prefer to work with the kenyan currency. Also, please note that you are more likely to get higher exchange rates at a forex bureau as opposed to a bank in kenya. Also note that you can bargain for a higher exchange rate if you are exchanging a note with a higher bill.However, you can negotiate for a better rate with a bank if you are transferring money from your foreign account into your kenyan account; this negotiation must take place before the money hits the kenyan account.

It's best to change ur dollars to Kenyan money for ease coz most pple will give u different rates for dollar.welcome to kenya en stay safe

Thanks for the info.  Is there a forex bureau or other money changer at the airport when I arrive?

Yes, there are a few within the exit area outside of the luggage pick-up section.

I would only recommend the Forex Bureaux at the airport for changing a small amount of money (to pay for taxis etc), as they don't offer the best rates.  Its worth knowing the headline rate (CBK) as you are about to travel, as this will give you a baseline for comparison.  This rate is published on the Central Bank of Kenya website and daily, in the newspapers (Tues to Sat, I think).

At Jomo Kenyatta, there is one bureau in the duty free shopping area (near one of the ramps leading to immigration).  There are two more in the baggage hall, to the right of customs and the exit door (I usually use one of these).  The alternative would be one of several ATM's, which are located both in the Duty Free shopping area and at 'Arrivals'.  Avoid Forex services offered by Hotels - the exchange rate is very poor indeed. 

I would recommend that you do not pay for goods and services in Dollars, as you will inevitably be offered a very poor exchange rate.

If you are uncomfortable with carrying a lot of cash, debit cards (particularly visa) work widely and can also be used to pay at larger shops and supermarkets.  Also consider a pre-pay card.

If you will be in Kenya for some time, then registering with M-Pesa is worth considering.  This is a mobile money service operated by Safaricom.  It is secure and cashless.  M-Pesa can be used to pay for almost anything, in Kenya.