Working in Bali

Hi,
I would like a bit of advise on working in Bali.
Is it possible to get a working visa for 3 months?
I have been offered a job but I have a probation period of 3 months and then my KITAS will be supplied for my contract.
I dont want to do anything illegal so I looking for someone who has any advise.

Cheers

"I have been offered a job but I have a probation period of 3 months and then my KITAS will be supplied for my contract."

It doesn't work like that, not under the law anyway.  You cannot begin work until AFTER your KITAS and work permit has been issued, and your KITAS has to be sponsored by your employer.   

I'm very curious what company or business offered you employment on that basis...i.e. 3 months probationary, no KITAS, no work permit.

Ubudian wrote:

"I have been offered a job but I have a probation period of 3 months and then my KITAS will be supplied for my contract."

It doesn't work like that, not under the law anyway.  You cannot begin work until AFTER your KITAS and work permit has been issued, and your KITAS has to be sponsored by your employer.   

I'm very curious what company or business offered you employment on that basis...i.e. 3 months probationary, no KITAS, no work permit.

Correct.
You can't work legally without a work permit.
Working illegal, probation period or not, can land you a big fine and a few years on the nick.

Name and shame the company, please.
Scans of the letter/copy of email (with your details removed) would be nice.

If we would like to work in Bali it's probably to be a guides for foreign tourist because the chance is very big and absolutely needed on this island

Hello Kate,
I work in bali for 2 years.
I had two different position in two different company.

Each time, companies asked me to make a try period of 3 months, before support for work permit(kitas).

You have to understand that it's difficult for a company to spend 2000.00 Us dollars to obtain Kitas if you are not a valuable employee.
They have to try you first.

Just be carefull when you are on try period to stay discret.Immigration officer are everywhere and listen to everything.Don t give business card when  you are on try period...

I ve been catch when working by immigration office. they ask me to follow them in the main office in Denpasar.
I was stuck in jail.
they were able to catch me coz my employer made an article on Bali Advertiser about me.
My employer gave immigrastion a 25 millions rupiahs envelop and 30 minutes later I was free again.

Welcome to Bali.

Cheers.

“Just be carefull when you are on try period to stay discret.Immigration officer are everywhere and listen to everything.Don t give business card when you are on try period...”

So, Jeremie, here you are on a pubic forum and advising someone to break the law.

Given your past problems with the police and your jail time at the immigration lock down, do you think that's wise?  Don't you think the internet police monitor the internet  or, someone reading this forum could advise them of your activity here?

The current penalties for working illegally in Indonesia is up to 5 years in prison, a $50K fine and generally culminating with deportation.

From where I sit you should consider yourself lucky that you weren't deported. 

You further wrote:

“You have to understand that it's difficult for a company to spend 2000.00 Us dollars to obtain Kitas if you are not a valuable employee.  They have to try you first.”

NO!  What YOU need to understand is that companies operating in Indonesia need to first attempt to find qualified Indonesians to fill available positions BEFORE they hire foreigners!

Is it better to blame and shame companies??

All countries willing to open the global market are under corruption.

All of you knows Indonesian laws are not clear and give opportunities to regardless authorities.

JEREMIE, I think the point Ubudian is making is that we should not be suggesting or recommending people to come to Bali or Indonesia to work illegally as this can create trouble for all involved and regardless of the corruption Indonesia has, the problem becomes the individuals not anyone else's.
I also think that is unwise for forum members to write that it is OK to work here illegally and just be careful as it sends the wrong message to people who are genuinely asking for help and guidance.

I see nothing positive in anything you have written to support anyone wanting to come here and work or any advice worth following.

Precisely Luke!

Jobs in Indonesia are for Indonesians first and no foreigner should have a problem with that.  Any foreigner who does have a problem with that might be better off living and working somewhere else.

Indonesia, and in particular Bali, is currently suffering an alarmingly high unemployment rate.  Foreigners caught working here illegally will be punished under the law, and that's just the way it should be from where I sit. 

Incidentally, the DPRD Bali is kicking around the idea of offering a reward program to those who report illegal foreign workers to immigration police.   

And yes, I agree that it is somewhat unfair that the companies who illegally employ foreign workers often get away with it…the prosecutorial emphasis currently being on the illegal employee.  And that is PRECISELY why foreigners seeking employment in Indonesia had better be very careful!

Ubudian is bang on the nail.
No way can anyone suggest working illegally as the risk is so great; more so in Bali where local unemployment is a problem and the authorities are keen on the subject.