Moving to Bali

Hi guys my name is Shane I need advice I want to live in Bali and work in Australia where do I start and is it possible

Hi and welcome to the forum Shane !

Maybe you could tell a bit more about yourself and your experiences.
It could help!

Regards
Armand

Hi Shane,

Don't see why you cannot do what you want living in Bali & working in Australia !! I did it for many a long year. It would really help if you could add some more detail about your circumstances. you can Private Message me if you do not what these details on the regular Blog.

Hear from you soon so I can help further  Howard

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the reply
I am currently working in the mines in Perth as a paramedic and live in Brisbane the flights alone are 5 and a half hours and it is starting to do my head in. I have been doing some research on visas and i cant see which one i should apply for.Also i am planing a trip there within the month to find some where to live and/or sort out any of the finer details. If you guts have any advice i would be very great full

cheers

Shane

Hi Shane,
Thought it would be something like an Ambo or similar.
Mate what a great Lifestyle Go for it !!
Visas, you can get a Visa on Arrival for 30 days which can be renewed for a further 30 days giving 60 days at a time, is that enough?
I live at Jimbaran only minutes from the Airport which has great Surfing and beaches. What sort of accommodation are you considering?

Best Howard

Hi Howard,

I would like to get a town house in a gated community with other x pats just until l we find our feet then go out and get a villa some where. I have been to Jimbaran before that was one of the places I was considering I loved it there

Regards

Shane

Hi Shane
I have looked around the immediate problem seem to be short term rental most seem to want 1 year, with payment upfront any less they seem to want Hotel prices. So what you think ?

Howard

Hi Howard,

Thanks for letting me know i really do appreiacte it
that seems ok to me i new it would be alot different to Australia
Im planing on coming over there in a few weeks to have a look at whats available
if i pay for a year strait up what sort of price am i looking at

Shane

Hi Shane,
Expect to pay somewhere between 55 to 60 Million depending on your taste. and area ++ I will do some investigation next week for you & get Back to you Best Howard

Hey Howard,
Wow that is very cheep I was expecting it to be allot more that that.
Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out when i come over ill let you know i think i owe you a beer

Shane

Hi Shane,

Friends of mine in Kerabokan are selling their Freehold property If I had the cash I would buy today  its a steal.

Please send your email address by Private Message and I will sent photos
Best Howard

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

house for rent - round Denpasar

25mil/years - but has to be rent mininum 2 years :)

I rent a nice room overlooking the rice field with a private terrace and entrance, just 10 mn from Seminyak in Umalas. It has all you need, AC, bathroom, TV, internet, safety box, big bed and quietness. it s also a good way to start and look around. tell me if you want to know more I ll send you more info and pics.
Ejab

[Moderated: off topic]

Hi,

Im new to this forum but yes you can live over here and work in Australia easily. You will still pay taxes in Aus obviously as you work in the country, regardless of where you reside. I live over here with my Fiance. I do not work here at all and neither does he. He works offshore in Australia on rigs and therefore flies in and out every 28 days anyways. Me, I am in and out visiting home or travelling enough so i leave when my visa expires and come back in on another tourist visa.

This is a great way to do it, as long as you ARE NOT WORKING here. This is a beautiful country but a lot of people work illegally from western countries and I think it is wrong as you should pay taxes and help the country in which you live so if you do work, do it the right way and get a kitas. If you aren't working then enjoy being a tourist or as we are, on a tourist visa but pretty much an expat.

We have a lot of friends over here who do the same thing with rig work and we all live around the Jimbaran, Nusa Dua area.

:-) Have fun- this place is amazing.

Hi guys

First time user and wanting to bring my family to bali for years. We have holidayed many times but now are ready to try and find the possibility of getting work in australia or on a offshore rig on a even time roster so i can have a work life balance. I am
qualified in wall and floor tiling for 25 years and this makes it hard to try and find out how to do something different even as a TA. We love bali and would like to talk to like minded people who might have some ideas also my wife has banking and postal experience any help to get us on the track of our dream would be great. Our son is in grade 4 in australia and would love to hear what schools their children are going to over in bali

Chris and family

gday Howard,
have been thinking of moving up also. with Villas etc do you have to pay a year in advance???. Do they have monthly payments for long term rentals
thanks
John V

hi john

usually you need to pay upfront for 1 year but sometime monthly(very hard to find this kind of payment.

Hi John,

Yes Mate Full payment upfront is the normal plus a bond is required in most cases. Generally a little cheaper if you can get to the owner not an agent or broker.
Howard

Yes is more cheaper without agent but more risky because the job of the agent is to do verification and to make a good contract for both part.
It s for that you pay the agent.
I m agent with agency with website with license and i can ear everyday some people who have a problem with the owner because they use a freelance agent or not use agent.
A property agency need to guarantee your contract under the law.
IF you don t use agent .don t complain after.

A year in advance seems to be pretty normal all over Indonesia but two year contracts can be got down to one year as a rule.
As long as you work outside Indonesia, a 30 day tourist visa should be fine.
One problem MAY crop up. If you have a long string of tourist visas, immigration may start asking questions when you arrive.
An explanation will probably sort out problems on the spot but it may be an idea to carry something to prove you work in Australia.

As Fred implies, not all Indonesian immigration offices operate in the same manner, each having their own concerns.  In Bali there are three immigration offices and they all are very used to Australians coming in and out of Bali on a regular basis using 30 day VOA's (extendable here for an additional 30 days).  There is no “legal limit” to the number of 30 day VOA's that can be issued over the course of time, but again as Fred alludes, one can expect some inquires from immigration sooner or later, the reason being to ferret out those who are abusing the very strict Indonesian laws and regulations regarding foreign workers here in Indonesia. 

Fred's suggestion to carry a letter from your Australian employer which outlines your work schedule…so many weeks on the job, so many weeks off the job…is an excellent idea and this will alleviate any concerns by Bali immigration. 

Wayan is also correct in that month to month payments for rental housing is rare here in Bali.  The vast majority of leases for housing here in Bali are long term…20, 30 and even more years payable in advance and in full at the lease signing.  However, that being said, there are more and more properties each year which have been “purchased” by foreigners being leased out on shorter time commitments, so the gap between those arrangements and the typical long term arrangement is closing.  However, expect to pay more on a per month or per year basis than what the monthly (or yearly) amount of a long term lease would work out costing over the years.     

There is another issue to consider with short term lease arrangements and that is their legality under Indonesian law.  The government is cracking down on illegal villa rentals…those properties “purchased” by foreigners with the specific intent to lease out for profit.  While this can be legally done, (the villa registered and zoned commercially thus taxes being paid) a great many short term villas are rented here in violation of the law.  As a short term tenant you wouldn't have any legal problems…those would be between the villa “owner” and the government, but you could find yourself having to move out on short notice.  That happens here more often than many think.

Hi Wayan,
A lease for rental of a property is a legal document and should always be considered by a Notary. The cost is Much lower than 5-5.5% of most realty companies charges.

Iam sure your company is the exception, but most real estate agents should be treated with GREAT CAUTION
Howard

If indeed we are passionate to live and settle in Bali why not? :D