Hi there all   and gday.

I am a middle aged australian living in the philippines for 5 years now.
Lately I have realised that south east asia    while a beautiful place   is not really a great place to live due to the legal issues of being a foreigner in this country.

After a few months of research  I have decided to pack up and move  to ecuador for a few months with my filipino  partner and our dog  to see  if  life in south america can be a little different.

Just wanted to say hi  to u all  and  I am spending a little time reading thru your forums which has some excellent information

I am not there let but seriously considering ecuador .
I want to know where are the smericans living. I don't speak spanish yet and i want to form a friendship group in equador where are you living and what is the tempatures. I like it warm not the nineties or even the 80s high sixties or 70 s is fine.

Awesome: Hi -- glad to have you here in the forum. Where are you in the Phils? I'm currently in Cebu City (been here a year) and planning to move to Ecuador, after a visit home in the States, in the latter part of the year (Nov/Dec).

Helen: I'll let the more experienced answer you. Most Expats would probably be in Cuenca or Quito -- with Cuenca having the higher concentration (being a smaller city). The mountains might be a bit cooler than you want, though. On the coast, it seems like Manta has the most expats, and maybe somebody from there could give you better info on the weather (I'm interested in the mountains because I'm fed up with the heat/humidity here in Cebu).

Bob

hey thanks for the message  bobh....  im also living here in cebu    have lived all over the phils  as I am a bit of a traveler   

about to move back to negros   near dumaguete   just for now   and  work on my  spanish     i am quiet lucky as I pick up languages very  quickly   having lived here  in south east asia for awhile    my cebuano  is quiet  good         just  this country    while amazing  is just not geared for normal people to live and be normal.....        if u get a chance  and haven't  been    come down to duma  for a few days    its a lot cooler there  and the people are way more friendly    though  the expat community   has a lot to be desired but then again   I am quiet young to be retired and there really are not to many people my age  here in the pi      sure the locals  there are many  but  having been friends with many pinoy ug pinay       I have been left with a bad taste in my mouth  one to many times.

The advice in the Philippines is to live far away from your wife's family, and I would say Ecuador should be far enough away.  Good luck in your search for peace, I found that there are very few Filipinos and Filipinas in Ecuador outside of Quito.  This could be an issue for your significant other, hope she can pick up Spanish and enjoy the local culture.  If she is Catholic then Ecuador will be very good for her spiritually.

Dont forget to read the blogs on this site.  There are a few exceptional ones that really help getting some insight on life on the ground. Here is mine about the undiscovered Northern coast of Ecuador. Hope you enjoy.
http://www.atruetalltale.wordpress.com

hey thanks guys    ha   my  partner  is all worried about the crime there   but    we live in the philippines  and have for 5 years  im sure   it  is  just as  bad here  as anywhere  else that is also a third world country