Missionary moving to Nairobi

Hi

I will be moving to Nairobi to take up a full time Missionary post in July 13. Can anyone please advise me on how much a family of 3 would need per month to live - utilities, rent, groceries, internet etc.

Thank you

approx 2000$ for everything...

Living in Nairobi, Kenya

Currency is Kenyan Shillings (Kshs) and today's rate are about
1 USD = 85.9 Kshs today

> accommodation prices
2/3 bedrooms flat in Nairobi - 40 to 120,000 Kshs/month and stil more expensive also available. 

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)
Here you can get all kinds of vegetables, so do not worry about it, if you are cooking by yourself, then may be 10,000 for vegetables and 10000 for groceries.
It also depends on how many people and how much food you consume and what kind of food you consume.

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)
Plenty of health insurance in Nairobi..

> energy prices (oil, electricity)
Today petrol is about 124 Kshs/liter

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

Electricity - about 4 to 7000 Kshs

Internet - Per month internet from 2000-4000, if you take zuku, then you get dstv and internet for 4000,
Local mobile calls per minute 2-3 Ksh

> price of the cinema
Cinema - 400-450 for normal to 550 for 3D Kshs per seat
IMAX 800Ksh

I am born and raised in Kenya,for a not very luxurious lifestyle but comfortable you can do with between $500-$800 i can help you get around and help you on the best deals and places. [email protected]

When will you be coming ,snd which side do you want to be?

Hi Rjfenner, the cost of living in Nairobi largely depends on which part of Nairobi it is that you intend to live. Since most expats tend to stay in the affluent parts of the city, I tend to agree with Suribhai's estimation. Just a factor to consider,the cost of housing is dependent on whether you want furnished apartments, which are more expensive, or empty ones that you can furnish, yourself.

The cost of groceries and vegetables should be less that KES 10,000 each, per month, considering that you are only 3 of you. I would suggest that you link up with other missioneries living in Nairobi since you are more likely to have a similar kind of experience, and I know that they will be of much help. Otherwise, welcome to Kenya.

[moderated: off topic]