Safety in Nairobi and Mombasa

I will arrive in Nairobi in June and 2 weeks later go to Mombassa.  It will my introduction to Africa and if it goes as hoped, I will move to Kenya. 

I have been reading many of the forum posts.  As to general safety, the biggest problems I have read about so far are avoiding nighttime transportation - mainly because of traffic accidents.  And dual pricing for foreignero - mainly in tourist areas. 

Are there general personal safety concerns I should have, other than the concerns any of us would have in any new city?  Any problems that you think happen more often or on a larger scale in either city?

And these questions - should I feel okay about walking down the street in most areas of Nairobi and Mombasa between 6pm and 10pm?  How about after 10pm?

Thank you  all.  I am excited about coming.

Jerry

Hy Jerry,

i visit 2 or 3 times in the Year my Fiancee in Nairobi and i am still always a little scared when we go on the streets.On the Daytime it was ok for me to go but in the Evening i am always with my Fiancee on the way.And about the Prices thats rite so foreigners pay mostly the double price,so many things i let buy my Fiancee.
In Mombasa its ok because there are many white peoples so i have no problems to walk alone in the streets or go to supermarket.

I hope you became enough Information from me and in June i am again in Nairobi and Mombasa.

Greatings Gerald

Gerald, thank you for your reply.  I have 2 questions for you......

How scared is, as you say, a little scared in the evening?  Let me define that.  You say you are always with your finance in the evening. If you needed to go out on your own in the evening, would you?

And the other question is - why are you scared? What makes you concerned?

I ask these questions because I will be traveling alone. Which I do a lot internationally, and sometimes in areas others would say are unsafe for foreigners.   And with no problems to date (knock on wood), to a certain extent because of forethought like this.

And Gerald reiterated about foreigners being charged double. Does anyone have ideas about what I can do about that?  Again I am traveling alone and I am  new to Kenya. And Africa for that matter.

Hy Jerry,

i think i dont go out alone.When u stay in a good area you can go out in the evening too.
Ok some places i think are safe for foreigners too but some places are dangerous for my fiancee too.
I said i am sometimes scared because last year we were attack in the nite when we was going home from a club with my fiancee and her friends.
But in all the clubs were we go all Kenyans are friendly!

Greatings Gerald

And please tell me this.  What time were you going home from the club?  I know it is just one example Gerald, but at least it will give me something to go on. 

Thanks again,
Jerry

Hy Jerry,

it was 3 in the Night but there were not many People on the Streets.

Greatings Gerald

Hi Jerry,
As with any large city, you should be vigilant when walking around Nairobi.  Central Nairobi and upmarket areas such as Lavington are fine to walk around during daylight hours, but you can be approached by people asking for money, so avoid wearing an expensive watch, having your mobile phone out........things like that.  When we lived in Westlands, I happily walked alone through the estate, to the shops in Westlands (about 20 mins each way) and the same when we lived in Lavington.. 

I certainly wouldnt recommend using an ipod (or similar), while walking as you should be very aware of what is going on around you.  As with any large cities, there are areas of Nairobi where I would not advise walking, especially alone.  Globe Cinema Roundabout (see other post) is one of those areas - its a well known hideout for criminals.  I wouldn't advise wandering anywhere in 'Eastlands', either.

After dark (about 7pm), it is unsafe to walk anywhere in Nairobi.  Out of the city centre, street lighting is poor, or absent, for example. 

There are plenty of bars and clubs. If going to these is your thing, then inside the club, be aware of the possibility of having someone spike your drink (dont leave it unattended).  Ensure that you have reliable transport both to and from  the club, and/or between clubs/bars.  Your transport should drop you immediately outside and collect you in the same manner.  I would avoid getting drunk as this will turn you into an instant victim. 

Having said all that, there are plenty of Expats and visitors who enjoy Nairobi nightlife, free of incident.  Its about being sensible and careful.

I really cant comment on Mombasa, as I have only visited the coast and never gone into the town (apart from driving through it).

You mentioned night time transportation:  Driving standards are generally poor, in Kenya.  However it is generally OK to travel at night within the city, although don't be surprised if your driver ignores red traffic lights - it is best to keep moving.  Outside the city, the majority of serious accidents occur at night - the accident and death rate on Kenyan roads is very high.  Personally, I avoid travelling at night for this reason.

With regard to charges; Kenya tends to have a dual charging policy for hotels, game parks, and various other attractions.  Residents pay a fraction of the charge that foreigners do.  Unless you can evidence that you are a resident, there is nothing you can do except pay, or avoid going.  I think that the idea behind this is to boost local tourism.  There are many Kenyans who have never been to game parks, for example. 

When buying goods and services (except for supermarkets) prices can be taken to be 'flexible'.  Kenyan traders will always quote an inflated price to visitors and even bargaining, may not bring the price down as low as a 'local' would pay.  Unfortunately, there is an assumption that westerners have money to burn - an assumption that is, to an extent, supported by tourists and highly paid expats.  In my case, my (Kenyan) wife does all the bargaining and payment and I pick up the goods.  Otherwise, just be prepared to walk away if you think you are being overcharged.

Lastly, just be aware that Nairobi is an expensive city in which to live.  For example; according to recent news, Kenyan property rentals are amongst the highest in the world, with Nairobi leading the way.  Luckily, the coast is a bit cheaper.

Hi Jerry,

I am of the same opinion as Longonot62.
He has all said and told you about Nairobi.
In Mombasa is not so the same as in Nairobi only when u go to the Clubs you must look about your drink because they can put spike in your drink (dont leave it unattended).
But in the Citys of Coast(Diani,Ukunda,Mtwapa,Malindi,Watamu,Kilifi)you can walk alone in the Streets(its my experience).

Greatings Gerald

I expect I could do my own research on this Longonot62. But i would really like your opinion on this Longonot62. Do you mean Kenyan property rentals are some of the highest even compared to industrialized countries?  If yes,do yuou have an opinion why that is?

And is this a trend throughout Africa? Will I find this to hold true in Dar es Salaam and in Kampala? I will be going to those cities also

A bit off topic, perhaps worthy of a new thread?

This was information from a recent article, which reported this.  There is no doubt that property rentals, particularly in Nairobi have increased dramatically in recent years, as have property prices.  Personally, I don't think Nairobi is on a par with London, for example in terms of rental prices, unless perhaps income is taken into consideration.  Its also quite difficult to make a direct comparision, as Kenyan properties (especially apartments in the 'better' areas) tend to be very spacious compared with the UK and Europe. 

I have no idea about the reason for this, or whether this is a trend across the continent.  I can only guess that perhaps it has something to do with Nairobi being an important regional hub.  I also understand that there is a housing shortage, which would drive up prices.  Property is an excellent investment, in Kenya, as the rental market is something like 80%.

I don't know what prices are like in Kampala, or Dar, but as Kenya has the largest economy, rental prices are likely to be lower in those cities.

I understand.  Thank you very much. You have been very helpful from a few differnt forums Longonot62.  It is appreciated.

is you want you can buy  ,.
a House in kenya and other house in tanzania ,.
so  u can live 6 month in Kenya, and 6 month in tanzania.

hello,

Am based in Nairobi and am a kenyan and a tour operator,
There are unsafe places to be in the night in Nairobi especcialy the lower part of nairobi which is mostly for the jua kali peolple.The upper nairobi is safe and ok.
You can hang out upto 10pm and if you prolong your hangout ,you can take a taxi to you place of stay as there are no many people past that time.
Otherwise Nairobi is a city like any other city in the world and am very sure you will love your stay in Nairobi.
If you have more queries ,why not email me on [email protected].
I will assist you to make your stay more comfortable.
thanks.
anna

Anna your post helps a lot.  Maybe you can add  a bit more insight about lower versus upper Nairobi.  I searched online and found nothing.  I am assuming it is a north south thing but not necessarily.  Either way,  I also assume upper and lower Nairobi  meet at a particular street, but I could even be dead wrong there.  So please help this newbie out  a bit.
Thanks
Jerry

Hello.
On the issue of lower Nairobi,its the south part of Nairobi which is that part from the Tom Mboya street,going to river road an d Kirinyaga road. That area mostly large Jua kali business enterprises and business close at 5.00pm.Though you can get business operating later than that, its depends on individuals.The upper Nairobi which is haile Selassie,Kenyatta avenue, etc is mostly professional business and service providers etc.This upper Nairobi is safe and very secure and most hotels are expensive.
Hang out joints are open till late and Taxis are easily available at their doorsteps.Though you need to take care of yourself at all times irrespective of the place you are in.
Do not worry that much. Nairobi is city like any other cities in a developing country,
Reg,
anna

Ah upper and lower Nairobi have nothing to do with north and south.  And they are both in the downtown area.  I have it now. Thank you again Anna.

Agree with you Anna. Downtown Nairobi  a place to avoid from 6pm. A fortnight ago while in traffic both my side mirrors were plucked as everyone watched at about 6.30pm. I was left speechless. Do I say the thugs leisurely walked away.

Paula

Anna you said you can hang out until 10pm.  Did you mean in both lower and upper Nairobi?  If not, what are your recommendations for lower Nairobi?

Hello jmagill,

Yes you can hang out until 10pm in the upper Nairobi.
The lower part, kindly have a Kenyan company if you have to be out to up to 10pm.
The lower part is deserted at night and you cant risk been alone on the streets at that time.

Downtown and yet deserted at night.  Never heard that one before.  I obviously have a lot to learn.  And can't wait.  Thank you Anna.