Travelling with Pet Dogs To Florida

Has anyone from the UK travelled too Florida with their dogs? I am emigrating in 6 months time with my american fiancee and want too take my two pet dogs with me.

Any advice on how we go about this would be appreciated.

Also do my dogs have too go into quaranteen once they arrive in Florida from the UK?

Thanks

Hello Welsh Angel.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hope you'll be advised by other members soon.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Good morning Aurelie,

I am not sure about dogs but my brother brought a horse from France and he had to be quaranteen. I would contact the US embassy and your flight company and they should tell you what is required.

Sincerely,

Rodolphe

@Rodolphe - i think your message was addressed to "Welsh Angel".

Virgin will fly the dogs  as live cargo you can call them around $500 each make sure you go by the crate size  guide lines.  Most important thing to do is contact DEFRA they wiil advise shots they need and bloods etc
WE have done this twice and we are shipping over a boxer puppy for our daughter as a service dog.
hope this helps

I'm probably too late but thought I'd weigh in- There is a terrific little resort hotel in St Pete Beach FL -Gulf of Mexico side outside of Tampa that actually caters to dogs ! the Lorelei- They are awesome-they have available slings for elderly and disabled dogs or dogs who are not great swimmers-you can lower your dog into the water for a safe soak with you-really lovely.

Lots of dog friendly parks in the Tampa area-if it says use a leash-use oone especially around fresh water ponds lakes rivers as alligators have been known to get the occasional small dog off leash wandering unsupervised- There are lists of off leash dog beaches as well-Honeymoon island is really lovely-it's a state park also-

Remember flea protection year round as it is always flea season there-

Happy trails to  all-homesick FL ex-pat

i would fly with thomson, they fly into sanford, and the crago handlers were very nice to my cats when they arrived a bit dazed and confused, cargo took me to customs to sign the paperwork, everything went really well, i think the officier was a bit confused because they came from spain and i was a brit

We flew our staffie over with ba 8 years ago with no problems, they do not have to go nto quarentene so dont worry about that. Just make sure all the paperwork is correct and injections have been done. Look on the DEFRA website all info is on there for rules and regs. Aslong as its not a snub nosed dog youll be ok

The only problem with ba is that they changed the rules 3 years ago and you now have to go through a carrier which is really expensive they saw a way to make money.  Virgin is the only carrier into Orlando that you can arrange it yourself and cheaply.  when we lived in Texas 10 years ago and flew our police dog out there were various airlines but they clamped down on it.