Belgians in early 20th Century India?

Hi, I need some information!

I am told that Belgians began the mining of iron ore in Karnataka in the early 20th Century. Is this true? Can anyone out there please help me?

Hi Hartman, and welcome to Expat.com :)
Your topic is intriguing, what's your goal in finding this information? Are you writing a book?
I'll move your topic to Karnataka's forum for a better visibility.
Good luck
Arlette

Dear Arlette,

Thank you for getting back to me!

Yes, I am writing a book, a travelogue through Goa (where I am originally from) documenting the terrible degradation of the environment thanks to mining. Bellary in Karnataka, of course, is quite infamous as far as this goes, and I would like some information on how mining started there. I append a few links to some of my more recent writing on the subject.

Thanks again and very kind regards,

Hartman

flonnet.com/stories/20100716271401403.htm

hardnewsmedia.com/2010/04/3519

hardnewsmedia.com/2010/05/3536

himalmag.com/In-remembrance-of-water_nw4328.html

The Sandur Manganese and Iron Ores (SMIORE) Mining  is spread over Ramgad village in Sandur Taluk, Bellary District of Karnataka.

The present mining lease is part of a lease originally granted to a Belgian company (M/s General Sandur Mining Company). The mining was started by this company in 1907.

Hi Karthik.kumar23,

Please note that this thread is from 2010, please feel free to creat a new topic on the Karnataka forum, this might help.

Thank you,

David.