Teaching in West Mishref

I was just offered a job teaching in West Mishref. It requires many teaching hours (25 per week) and pays 1200 KD per month. I have some concerns, though.

I have some physical conditions that limit me. I get tired walking and can't walk for far. Is parking easy? Is driving really that dangerous?
Is it true that as a woman it is unsafe to take a taxi alone? What exactly am I risking?

Is West Mishref really crowded? I don't like busy places. I work in San Francisco, and sometimes the crowd just drives me insane.

Is there any nature anywhere? Are the beaches safe?

Also, I can't seem to find many pictures of the Mishref area! Does anyone have any?

Hello anony88.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hope you'll find the answers to your questions soon.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi anony88 and Welcome to Expat-blog.

I am not sure about the 25 h per week because I'm not a teacher but salary should be based on your experience and qualifications.
All schools have big parking area next to them. Maybe 1 to 3 minutes walking.

Not all taxies are unsafe but you have to be careful when you take a taxi at least in your first month. You can share taxi with other females and learn from them how they deal with the taxi driver or you can ask teachers in your school to give you mobile numbers for some taxis they deal with.

West Mishref doesn't considered to be very crowded. Only sometimes because there are two universities and Kuwait international exhibition Centre. But no worries because it not considered as crowded area in Kuwait..

Kuwait has beaches and public parks where you can walk and hang out with friends.

25 hours per week is many? that's a work week right? 5 days? so, 5 hours a day?

Is parking easy?
the early bird catches the worm - the early driver finds the parking spot.

Is driving really that dangerous?
no it is not.

Is it true that as a woman it is unsafe to take a taxi alone?
there have been cases of women being abducted - does not happen with western expats.

What exactly am I risking?
?

Is West Mishref really crowded?
depends on your definition of 'Crowded', to some people three is a crowd.

Is there any nature anywhere?
desert and sand.

Are the beaches safe?
from what? u wouldnt go to a public beach to tan coz u'll get gawked at, at least not the public beaches in the city, driving a bit farther will give u seclusion and privacy.

Sorry I meant "is it safe to swim in the beaches?". I really like nature and swimming.
Are there undeveloped areas where I can see desert?

Yes it is save to swim.
There are undeveloped areas in the desert where people go for camping.

legacy wrote:

25 hours per week is many? that's a work week right? 5 days? so, 5 hours a day

I assume the original poster will be TEACHING for 5 hours a day. Then you have to add in planning for 5 classes, correcting papers, etc. etc.

In the USA, 5-6 classes per day is standard, along with extra duties like lunchroom supervision, study halls, etc., but I'd guess teachers average 60 hours per week with all the rest of the work added in.

Tom

Moo wrote:

Yes it is save to swim.
There are undeveloped areas in the desert where people go for camping.

I'm never sure who to believe--I've heard others say there is raw sewage dumped directly into the ocean, so swimming is not safe.

Has anyone here actually gone swimming at a Kuwait beach? If so, what was the result?

Thanks,

Tom

thanks for the info Tom - i was thinking that 5 hours a day was a bit lax.

as for swimming in the sea; it depends on where you go. yes, as tjp pointed out, not all beaches are, how shall we say, environmentally friendly, in Kuwait. of course, given liquid diffusion, one would assume that the entire beach front is contaminated, but that is not the case. I hear the beaches near Khairan are pretty clean, with lagoons and everything. if all else fails, you always have failaka island, a short boat ride away from salmiya with pristine beaches in tow.

as for sandy landscapes, u need merely drive down the 6th ring road till u reach Mutlaq ridge.

Normal time Cuz im teacher in kuwait every day 7 hour work 1350Kd

Take your time :)