Relocate to Slovakia

I am doing some research on behalf of my ex-husband.  He is about to retire in July 2013 and currently lives in Carlisle.  He is of British origin.  His wish is to relocate to Slovakia and live out his retirement there, so he can be close to his son, Slovakian daughter in law and their three children (his grandchildren).

He will be selling his house in the UK and be hoping to purchase a house in the region where his son lives (Smokovec/Pod Lesom - Tatry).

What steps must he take to relocate and what paperwork etc., will he need?

When buying a property in Slovakia, what are the legal requirements?  i.e. deposit/tax etc.

His income will consist of a UK State Pension plus his company's pension.  How much income must he prove to have to be deemed eligible for residency?  His savings and proceeds of UK sale of house will be invested in a Slovak property.

Must he show separate medical insurance or will his EU insurance be applicable?

How do utility costs for running a house compare to those here in the UK?

What might be the basic amount of finance he would need to support himself?

There are many other questions I cannot think of at the moment, but answers to any of the above would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Hi jenniebugs,

Welcome to expat-blog!

Please note that a new topic was created on the Slovakia forum for better visibility.

Best of luck :)

David.

Hi,
I don't know much of being a pensioner in SK, but everyboda who is coming to SK and intend to stay longer, or forever, have to get an stay-permit. To do this this person has to first find a place to register as permanent address (not necesserily address of living but do not mention it in the forreign office). He can for example register at his sons place, it costs almost nothing if anything. Then with a sort of of a "contract" he would need to show up at foreign police office, there is only one in bigger cities, must be one in Kosice. By doing so he will get sort of a Slovak ID and get rights as Slovak citizen with exceptions to vouting for government.
Once with the ID card he can purchase a house for cash, in my opinion with money for a house in UK he would be easily able to get a house in SK. And with UK pension he can have a ok life with no worries.
As to legal stuff regarding medical treatment and all that I can't help you, sorry. Getting morgage is also out of my knowledge.
I hope I helped ar least a bit.
All the best!