Starting a teaching job at the French school of Jakarta in Sept 2010

Hi!
My name is Caroline and I currently live in Portland OR. I am a 23 year old French, active, young teacher and cannot wait to discover Indonesia.

I have been to south east Asia once.. and that was for 2 weeks as a tourist in Thailande. I know NOTHING about Jakarta and would love to hear about you guys' experiences, thoughts and opinions.

My school is located at Jl. Cipete Dalam N°32. Where would be the best area/neighborhood to look for an apartment? Is it easy to find roomates? What websites should I look into?

How do people get around? I hear traffic is really bad; Is it possible to not use a car?

Can't wait to be there,

cheers,
Caroline

Hi Caroline,

My name is Jenny and I am new in Jakarta as well, about two weeks now here. I am working in the south and I am not sure where your school is located. I could look it up though.

I am actually looking for a place to stay as well and looking for a flatmate. I am currently staying at an apartment but would love to move out there when I will find a place to stay. If it is convenient for the both of us, would you like to be flatmates?

When are you coming to Jakarta?

The traffic here is quite chaotic and most people get around here through cabs which are fairly cheap.

Cheers!

Hi carol, when you want to visit Jakarta? yes I know a lot about Indonesia, especially Jakarta and regional roads in Cipete you mean .. if you're in jakarta I'll accompany you to search for an apartment or a cheap but good roomates .. traffic was a little bad, but you do not worry because it can be overcome and many alternative roads .. btw if you already jakarta do not forget to contact me via email at [email protected] or call me on 0813 111 931 55 .. ok? good luck to u

Hi Caroline,

As an Indonesian who have lived in Jakarta most of my ages, I definitely know about Jakarta.
The people in Indonesia are nice and friendly although a few still do not have capability on English. And as Jenny has said, things are cheaper in Indonesia though it mostly applies for exapatriates.

I assume that the school that you'll be worked with is the Lycee International Francais [the French International School]. I have no idea about the school, I've just searched the place on the web. Thus, in related with your question on accommodation, I suggest that you should be in Jakarta first beforehand. I believe that your colleagues will help you.

As per short-period time, you might stay in Hotel Kristal [Cyrstal Hotel]. This is the website hotelkristal.com
I have no relation with any officers in that hotel. I've searched that it might be one of good places to stay for a while. As it is near your workplace. Herewith, the link of the distance between the school and the hotel.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= … 01929&z=16

Last, do enjoy   :D

salut Caroline!
ca va bien?

I hope u'll enjoy your new journey here in Jakarta.
Forget about having a car here in Jakarta bcoz the traffic will be like a pain in the butt :D
dont give urself a hard time just call a cab or... if u're brave and tough kind of girl you can use OJEK. Ojek = Motorcycle cab. its faster and cheaper...

Take Care
a bientot!

FiNo

hi there Caroline,
i have 1 unit apartment in Kemang area, which is where the expat live in south jakarta, and it's not too far from Cipete

Regards,

Puput.

Puput, you are off topic (and you should post in the classifieds)

Hi.

I'm not in Jakarta but I have been there. It has the downside that most cities share but it's still an interesting place.
You are in for a serious culture shock but an open mind will sort out any problems quickly. In general Indonesians tend to be a friendly bunch who will help you out as much as they can.