The Old Quarter

Been walking around the old quarter today.  I hope the rest of Hanoi is better.  It seems everyone is out to take advantage of the tourist.  Maybe HCMC spoiled me.  Stopped to buy an ice coffee on the street, they wanted 30000 dong, pineapple 200000 dong, cheap t-shirt 500000 dong, donut 50000 dong.  Went to KFC instead for my breakfast and Shop and Go for drinks. Hanoi will not be seeing much of my money if this continues.

Hi dear,

Really feel a bit shy to hear about that. Im really not sure Hanoi is better ( that is my opinion ).Better you buy food in Restaurant or stuff in market, it will have fix price. Sorry again for the trouble you got.

Yuli

Thanks for the response.  I am going on a tour of the city tomorrow.  There is a lot to see here.  I just do not like people trying to scam me.

Ask, bargain before buy.  It'll happen everywhere because they know you're not local.  I once bought a wallet.  They told me 380,000vnd.. I bargained and it was sold at 80,000vnd.  Yup, 300,000vnd less then the asking price.  Good luck next time.

They prefer tea here, so coffee is more expensive.  The cost is between 15 to 20k vnd.

Ho Chi Minh does spoil a person, but you can live a simiar lifestyle in Hanoi for about the same amount.

Personally I feel less harassed and ripped off in Hanoi than in Saigon. Despite staying almost six years here, it's a cruel, going somewhere out of walking distance from home.

Hi Mark,

I do not think so. I just came back from Hanoi. Have to say that things are more exp there. Pho cost abt 20, 000 in hcmc but the cheapest pho in hanoi cost 35, 000..:rolleyes:

Really Hanoi is more exp than HCM. I m living in Saigon now if i travel Hanoi, some places will charge me more exp bcz im not local there.

even for hotel they will charge you more expensive then vietnamese with the same kind of room

I have lived in Hanoi's Old Quarter for years (I guess I enjoy the insanity) Hanoi is really at least 3 separate cities in nearly concentric rings.  The Old Quarter has almost nothing in common with the 'Average' Hanoi or the New, ultra modern city being created at hyper-speed on the Western edges. 

The 'Average' Hanoi is quite reasonable - I venture to these areas to buy everything.  The ultra modern city tries to charge Western Prices x2 for everything.  The Old Quarter just charges whatever they want, thinking - rightly so, that tourists won't venture outside its boundaries.   The Average Hanoi is a much better experience than the Old Quarter, if you know where to go.

Hi Noah!  FYI, They use cats in Saigon.  Dogs are more expensive.

Cats, dogs or rat... Its all good.  And only chicken taste like chicken...

Hi,

Hanoi is like that, coming with a local friend will help you a lot. For example, beer here is so popular and cheap; fruits you need to find right place to buy. Restaurants also need experience.

You can come to backpacker hotel to have some advices. I will be there at weekends.

Good luck,

Khoi,
+84 985 282 915

hi there,

I think, the average rate in Hanoi now is generally higher than previously, not only foreigner but also local people also suffer from inflation. The cost for everything is higher , but as someone mentioned , somethings popular like beer, fruit is not really exp. You also need to bargain before buying anything. This becomes necessary skill of any people here esp in Old Quarter.

Have a good holiday in Hanoi

Jane - Sunway Hotel Hanoi