Visiting Cuenca

Hey all,

Visiting Cuenca for a long weekend. Any suggestions of must-do's or roads less traveled? Open for any suggestions. Also, great places to eat and/or nice affordable clean hostels to stay in?

Thank you!

Not to sound like a tourist, but.....
If it's just a week end trip, you absolutely must take the city bus tour. Seriously.... you must. For 5 bucks you get a very nice tour lasting some 2 hours. You'll have a stop at Turi Hill, which would of itself be one of the other must see's, so you'll kill 2 birds with one stone. The buses take off from El Centro, right by the New Cathedral and Parque Calderon, 2 other " must see's"
There are also a ton of great restaurants right in that area, so, you'll be covered on all fronts.
Safe Travels,
Neil

I'm surprised the Cuenca folk haven't answered, and the weekend it almost here.  I don't live in Cuenca  but I've been there a couple times.  I agree with Neil.  It sounds lame riding on a tour bus, but it's totally worth it. 

Here are a few things I really enjoyed in Cuenca.

I like to try the food at the markets, you know, the ones with a ton of fruit/veg/meat vendors.  There's a nice indoor market on the corner of Mariscal Lamar and Hermano Migel.  On the top level of the market, there like 10 stalls all selling hornado (roasted pig).  It's the best I've had in Ecuador.  If you walk by them slow enough and look tentatively interested, they'll give you a piece to sample.  This market, next to the hornado, has the best juice I've had in Ecuador.  The coconut juice is amazing.  They blend it with ice, so it's like a milkshake.  Also, my favorite and cheapest breakfast in Ecuador is in the same place.  In one of the corners, behind the juice people, there's a lady that has a huge pot filled with rice, pork, pork skin, and some vegetables.  For a dollar, it's a bowl of this stuff with a hard-boiled egg, and for $.75 you get a smaller bowl without the egg.

If you haven't tried guinea pig yet, I had a good one across the plaza in front of the market.  On the corner of Mariano Cueva and Gaspar Sangurima, after around 5:30pm there's a few women roasting guinea pigs on sticks.  It's cooked well and way cheaper than anything I've found in Quito.  6 or 7 dollars for one.  It comes with potatoes and mote, but don't bother.  Just get the guinea pig.   

There's a microbrewery on Calle Larga and Presidente Borrero.  It's pretty good, for Ecuadorian microbrew standards.  A liter was 4 bucks a year ago.   

The Incan/Cañari ruins at the SE end of Calle Larga are pretty cool.  I'm not much of a museum guy, but walking around the ruins and by the river is nice.  They've got some toucans and llamas and other animals down there too. 

There's tons of hostels in Cuenca.  Many of them may be full because of the holiday.  I like to stay at Hotel Pichincha on Juan Montalvo between Marical Sucre and Simón Bolivar.  It's nothing fancy, but it's $7 per person per night.  The owner's nice.  There's a computer with internet to use and I think you can use her kitchen.  They just moved locations, so everything is new feeling.  Shared bathrooms, but each bathroom is shared with only 3 rooms and they're clean.     

Have fun.  I hope some other people can give you more ideas of stuff to do.

jm,
Thanks, what a great bunch of info. I know I'll have my notebook out to jot down some of your recommendations. Many of them I'm not aware of. You must have a near photographic memory if it's been a years since you've been there. Very informative, again thanks.
Neil

Jim

I concur with neil, you have a very accurate memory. The Mercado you are talking about is the best, good food and fruit shakes.

The bus tour sounds very touristy but it is well worth the time and $$.

I can't wait to get back down there and have a brew.

Rowdy

"I can't wait to get back down there and have a brew."

Okay Pardner, just knock on the door, and I'll answer it with a Grande Pilsner!
See you soon I hope.
Neil The Real Deal

Ps. is that your daughter with you in your pic???

Brother Neil

You are really working it,,,,

Actually it's a mail stripper she picked up,, but he looks so good I tell everyone it's me

Be careful, stripping the mail is a federal offense unless you are a postal worker, then its just business as usual.

Really???
You're saying that's the best that " Hottie " could do? Dang, there is hope for me yet!!
Mug's is correct, you don't want to mess with a male carrier, er, mail carrier, ahhh.. okay, as usual, I'm confused!
See you this Fall
Neil

mugtech wrote:

Be careful, stripping the mail is a federal offense unless you are a postal worker, then its just business as usual.

You're not going to believe this Mugs, but I had a mail carrier that was a stripper, but she was a female?!!?
Go figger.
Neil

Hi all,

Please can we get back to the topic title, this topic is getting out of subject.

Thank you,

David.

Hi everyone! Just wanted to thank you for the quick responses and good advice. Didn't get to everything, but had a really great time and will definitely will use it as a guide for the following trip. Much appreciated!