Buy a motorbike or car without kitas

Hi Aussiehj & everyone

btw, how if foreigner want to buy a motorbike or car, without ktp ? is it possible ?

thx

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy

When a foreigner has a valid Kitas they can own a Car and or Motor Bike and have registered in their own name but not own freehold land.

Regards
Howard

Hi Howard

thx for the explanation. now i'm understand. really appreciate it.

Jimmy

Hello Jimmy.

To note that a new thread has been created from your message on the Bali forum as you were off topic on the other one. ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

I didn't have a KITAS when I bought my first bike and they didn't ask me for my KITAS when I bought the latest one.
However, you'll only get a driving licence up to the expiry date on your visa, whatever type it is.
Now, whist a driving licence is usually corruptly paid for, not earned by taking a test, if you have a serious bump and don't have one, it's extortion time.

Cars have different riles than motorbikes. You'll need a KITAS to register a car in your name and you can only register in the region the KITAS was issued.

Do you know whether it is legal to buy a motorbike with no Kitas? I have an international driving licence. Thanks

2nd hand no problem buy new. lots of problems. It depends on the dealer but you need a kitas, passport, maybe a tax card and proof of residence. Better you ask an Indonesian or Balinese person you know and trust to purchase it in their name and then change the STNK and blue book later to yours.

Do you have a SIM C as well? International licences are OK but the police wont bother you if you pull out a Sim C. Sadly, you do need a Kitas to get one. (In Jakarta you do thats for sure)

Thanks for your reply, I don't have a Kitas which makes it all more difficult. I am back and forth from Bali to UK and other places so can keep returning on new tourist visa. For now that is. I'm hoping to set up a business out here with a local partner so will then get a work visa. But until then I still need transport so hoped to get a bike. Cheers, Jae

Jae, one of my wife's family members has a dealership in Kuta and I've sent him non KITAS holders in the past to buy a new bike and there were never any problems about them not having a KITAS (or an Indonesian wife or husband).  As previously noted by others, a car is another matter regardless if the car is new or used.  Things in Bali are often not the same as in the Big Durian (Jakarta). 

I noted from your profile that your kids are in the Green School.  I'll bet they're enjoying it and never envisioned anything quite like it back in the UK.  If we ever meet up I have some hilarious stories about the first year of its operation and the “culture shock” some of the teachers who came from swanky upper east side Manhattan schools went through.

Cheers, and good luck with your business venture in Bali.

Cheers, Very helpful. Kids haven't started yet, term begins tomorrow. We've been to the campus and it looks amazing. I'm looking forward to them starting as much as they are! Would like to hear some of those stories. I met a woman who was a teacher for the first few years at the school's inception and she said it was difficult, and that few teachers lasted more tun a year. Cheers..

I'm going to be PC (politically correct) as I've known the school's founder for many years, but the first year or two at the Green School was indeed a huge challenge for their teachers.

The concept is great…I mean, who can argue against the environmental challenges that face the world today…but the execution, at least initially, was a bit much for these upper east side New Yorkers to handle, and understandably so.  To John's credit he aggressively sought out top level teachers…and who can argue that past teachers from The Chapin School or Rudolf Steiner aren't at the top of their profession? 

But, building an entire school campus out of bamboo even got the Balinese scratching their heads.  Unless they are dirt poor, the Balinese simply do not ever build anything out of bamboo aside from temporary structures to be utilized during temple ceremonies or perhaps as a temporary shelter for a brand new car.  And, I should mention that in the early days, the teachers at the Green School were expected to live on the campus, and in the bamboo houses John had built there.

Well known in the designer jewelry business, I think I got on John's bad side by egging him on about bamboo buildings and alang alang roofs.  Or, in other words, John's villa along the Ayung River near where I live ain't built of bamboo, I assure you.  You can fill in the blanks for yourself.  :D

But with all the chiding and making a bit of fun aside, the curriculum and quality of the teaching staff is the best on Bali…and no discussion about that, as it remains fact.  Of course some, especially those with kids at BIS in Sanur, would argue with me on that point, and BIS is indeed an excellent alternative to the Green School.  I'm not trying to promote either of them, or any other international/private school on Bali.   

As for the hilarious stories…I only share them face to face.  After all, Bali is a small island!   ;)

I'm very confident that your kids will love it, and they'll be getting a great education as well.  After all, did you go to a school built from bamboo and with grass roofs, monkeys, pythons and other assorted creatures of God about?  I sure didn't, so maybe in the end I feel a bit jealous about that.  :|   

Cheers!

All very interesting. I will report back after a month or two! Best wishes...

just buy a second hand one, you can search for it at tokobagus.com, when u need to extend the tax ask a 'biro jasa' to do it for you, it doesnt worth the hassle to do all the admin by yourself, it would be more than usd100 in service fee for car, and less than usd 50 for bike

get a second hand bike with decent miles, they cant cost more than usd 1000. as for the hassle with registring to your name, I dont see any sense in registring vehicle into your name, they are part of production cost of ur life, u get rid of them after a few years, why go through all the trouble :)

nice one thanks

kardus wrote:

I dont see any sense in registring vehicle into your name

Because the law says you should, and it's not a good idea to break the law in your host country.

Please stop advising poster to break Indonesian law.

Why does every request for advice end up in arguments and people putting down each other? Such a shame!

Anyway, you could also consider leasing a vehicle.

Mikewallace76 wrote:

Why does every request for advice end up in arguments and people putting down each other? Such a shame!

Anyway, you could also consider leasing a vehicle.

Suggesting doing something illegal is a really bad idea, even when it's common.
I know a lot of people don't bother, but it could leave someone in trouble, so such advice can't be posted.

Oh I didn't know that. When I used to live in Bali a few years back I had a Kitas and I leased a car, paid monthly for a Kijang. Didn't know it was illegal. Thanks for that information. Just goes to show that even with a Kitas you cannot lease a car. We learn something new every day from the experts in this blog site.

Mikewallace76 wrote:

Oh I didn't know that. When I used to live in Bali a few years back I had a Kitas and I leased a car, paid monthly for a Kijang. Didn't know it was illegal. Thanks for that information. Just goes to show that even with a Kitas you cannot lease a car. We learn something new every day from the experts in this blog site.

Not the car or bike - but not having the correct documents.
Subtle edit - read the thread before commenting.

lukereg wrote:

Do you have a SIM C as well? International licences are OK but the police wont bother you if you pull out a Sim C. Sadly, you do need a Kitas to get one. (In Jakarta you do thats for sure)

The few times I've pulled out here, the moment the cops see the SIM C, they let you leave.
One bent cop tried to screw me for Rp500,000 when driving my car, even after producing a SIM A.
I think I still have the video somewhere.
The KITĀS/P is a must to get the SIM legally.

Congrats on your promotion.

I recommend staying legal always, but use an agent to get things done quicker and cheaper.