Living in Yucatan

You are an expatriate living in Yucatan, or you used to  work and live in Yucatan.

Share your expat experience!

How would you describe life in Yucatan?

Has it been complicated to settle down, to find a job, and an accomodation? 

Is it complicated to make friends in Yucatan?

What would you recommend to people who would like to live in Yucatan?

Thanks in advance for your participation

We move in to Merida in 2005 from Holland, we have  great friends here and a good business too. Life is perfect here for us. Sun, light, peacefulness and energetic is what better describe our life here.
If you love heat, sun, white sandy beaches, peacefulness, good food and culture, Yucatan is the place to be. Still untouched in some may ways, and very affordable. Nice people, never bother you. Great place to retire. Entertainment in Merida is everywhere in Malls and Parks.  If you come down here do not hesitate to contact us, we will love to guide you around. Mayte and Arthur. [email protected]

Qustion you dont find it a bit boring? I am new and all I can see is tourists... I am 47 yrs old

Hi we move from luxembourg to yucatan in 2007 and  living here is a real pleasure:quality of life, kindness of mayan people,... regarding the laws and aslmost all the taxes for investment it's  totally  different.

Furthermore narco cartel are not a risk here in yucatan, real estate cartel are more dangerous for your investment, take care of the prices :)

Hola   Good experiencedAmerican lawyer has a wonderful B&B in Merida  Casa Santiago  near el centro  Frank   he knows everything!  Also in Playa del Carmen  at Mom's Bar  owner Yurgen  is German has been there many years  a wealth of knowledge Liver there 5 months ,want to go back!!

Phil, do you live in Merida? And you would prefer to live in Playa del Carmen?

Hola Senor  No I have visited Merida a few times,stayed at Casa Satiago . It is much less touristy than Playa  Also less expensive, lots of x-pats  I like it. Playa has too many tourists, is expensive , but can be a lot of fun and right on ocean ,not as hot.

I'm thinking about going further south down the coast, maybe past Tulum... but then again, I've also considered Merida. Perhaps I'll do both, with 6 months in each place.

I love living in Merida.  I moved full-time in August 2011.  There have been some adjustment issues but overall it has been a fantastic experience.  The greatest challenge for me has been adjusting to not being in a position to socialize as I work full-time and am still renovating my home.  However, when I am free, I have had some exceptional adventures in the city as well as throughout the state.  I live very near to the main cemetery, am on the southern route for biking on Sundays, within an easy walk to the main plaza and just a few blocks from bus terminals - ADO and AutoProgreso. Merida is about the same size as Austin, the city I lived in for over twenty years.  It is easy to navigate and has a small town feel similar to my native home of New Orleans.

Are you in Merida, Schneider?

Tulum and Akumal are nice places but again a lot of tourists. North of Playa is a small fishing village w/ lots of Canadians quiet /safe called Puerto Moreles  they have an English bookstore AlmaLibra.com for connections. I like  city on the coast south of Merida  world heratage historuc city Campeche ! not many ex-pats though

im looking at getting a condo in playa,i almost bought land on ambergrise caye,belize.belize has everything,mountains,forest,diving,but the infrastructure,roads,and availability to purchase things is still years off,if you want to live the hermit life then its fine.your gonna get tourists eveywhere you go,and im going to mexico to be by the beaches,drive to see the sights,ruins,old world culture,and lifestyle,walk 5th ave and have some wine,and maybe cruise between cancun-tulum with a cruiser.i was in honduras last year and everyone there ones a gun,you dont go out at night,and you cant own property there and leave,because it will be full of squatters and it takes months to get them out.im hoping to get down to playa before fall,just to busy here right now.

Yes Playa has much to offer. Yurgen ,who owns the well known Moms Bar lived in Beilze 7 years and got tired of nothing much happening culturally and infrastructure too.  Hondura has one of highest murder rates gangs and all I've heard.  Nicaragua is nice from what Ive read  have you any insights on it? I want to visit Managua and the
lake

havent been to nicaragua or costa rica,but the land and forest i guess is like honduras,beautifull,i loved honduras,the mountains,forest,the yucatan doesnt have this,so i guess if you want beaches or privacy or jungle,your not gonna get it all in one package,i want a little privacy but also want to be close to shops,my wife going out for wine and maybe a little excitement once in a while,so thats why im looking at playa.

Hola amigo  lots of good music  and fun places there for sure

I love visiting Merida but my heart has always belonged to Playa. Ive been here 8 years now and couldnt imagine living anywhere else!

PACHANGA :):):)

I've been interested in Nicaragua as well. Really having a hard time deciding where I want to go. Are you from Picton, Ontario? My family has a cabin on Lake Ontario near there. Small world!

where in Holland are you from

@hnsberk > please note that this is an old inactive thread..

@hnsberk

Sorry I never could find this site but I finally did I am from Rotterdam quid hip feyenoord

Greetings Hans
Old thread alert!

If you want to share information or ask questions, feel free to start a new thread on the Yucatan forum. 1f603.svg

Cheers,

Cheryl
Expat.com team

[Topic closed]
Closed