Received a Job offer to work in Wellington

Hi Folks

I am an Indian, married but no children. I am Software Engineer by profession. Currently I am working in KL, Malaysia.

I have received a Job offer to work in Wellington, NZ with a annual package of 75K. Will you guys share me if this is a good package for 2 persons to live in Wellington, in a good residential area (my spouse won't be working, and want her to be in a safe place while I am away for work)

After all expenses, including rent, mobile and internet expenses, food and groceries will I be able to save 2500$ a month. Kindly share your experiences and knowledge which will be a great help for me.

Also I am little bit worried about racism and work culture over there.

I would really appreciate if you have any advise or things to be taken care, as this is totally a new place, considering the time zone, climate etc.

Thanks a ton for your time for reading this post and sharing your thoughts and advise.

Cheers

sprajeesh.

Depends if that amount is before tax or after tax.
For cost of living try this website as it gives information for many cities worldwide. www.numbeo.com

Thanks Vientine.

That was indeed a great stuff. Actually I will be taking around 5000$ a month after tax. Just wanted to know whether I will be able to save at least 2500 if I am staying with my spouse.

Anyways thanks for the information provided.

Cheers
Prajeesh

there is very little racism in NZ. After tax $NZ75,000 means net of tax about $NZ1100 per week or $$4469 per month. You will not be able to save $NZ2500 per month out of that as it will mean you are only using $NZ492 per week to live on which will not support 2 people..food,rent utilies transport etc

I agree with motor lodge regarding cost of living.
Rents are high as is food costs etc.
Please check on the website I gave you previously.

Hello Folks

Thanks for the information and the response.

I referred the below link to find my tax deductions on 75000K $
http://www.ird.govt.nz/calculators/keyw … -rate.html

On yearly basis 15,670$ goes as tax and which means I will get around 4900 a month. Is this site reliable? When I got the offer, my employer referred this site to calculate the tax on my income.

Also based on various sources, I roughly came to below calculations that I may need to spend every month.

Home Rent    1500 (referred trademe website)
Commuting    200
Internet    150
Mobile    50
Electricity & Gas    200
Groceries    600

This was just a rough calculation may be it is wrong. I thought it will be sufficient for 2 people if the expenses fits based on above calculation. If not then I may have to rethink about this offer.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions and information guys.

Cheers
Prajeesh

Hey,

I am not familiar with Wellington and we live in Auckland. I also have the same paycheck and we save only NZD 1,000 in a good month.

We are healthy and not fat and eat good food. We also have no children. With after tax income of 5,000 expect around 1,800-2000 to go to housing per month and around 2,000 to food and utilities.

Housing in NZ is worst than 3rd world India. They actually use paper and wood to construct the frame of your home. They are very cold. Kiwis think the bad construction is because of earth quakes and they cant build heavy brick homes...another government fairy tale.

Point is when you see those "acceptable rent" homes in person you will run away and end up paying NZD 450 per week rather than the NZD 300-400 that we all thought we would pay for rent. The house would still be cold and made from match sticks but atleast will be clean, spacious and in a good neighborhood.

If adding NZD 1,000 per month to your bank balance for a 5 year sentence (time to get citizenship) is ok with you then move here.

Hi. I am in Wellington - I totally agree: be ready to pay more than half of your income for rent. Imagine 100 km/h wind in a house with no insulation, on a hill. Also, more than 6 months per year is quite cold, heavy rains, a lot of leaky houses.
Wel. is indeed beautiful: but you have to pay a lot for basic comfort.
Food is more expensive than 600 for 2 persons, I would say around 800 per person. So probably you will be able to provide food and accommodation for both of you but that's all: don't expect savings.