Salary and work permits questions

Hi people, I hope you can offer some advice on this. I have an offer as follows, for the post of Quantity Surveyor:

Salary MUR 50,000 per month.
Contributory Pension Scheme (under review).
Medical Insurance.
22 days holiday per annum

The company also says they will assist with the processing of a work permit. I would like to ask the following:

1. How much does the work permit cost the employer? Do I require a separate residence permit and if so how much does it cost?
2. Can I change my employer using the same permit or do I have to apply for a new one with a new employer? Do I have to leave the country while the new permit is being processed? Is it difficult to change employer once you are in Mauritius?
3. Can I have a decent living on a small salary like that? The post is based in Quatre Bornes.
4. I also hear about the new minimum offer for expats is MUR70,000, when does it come into force?

The company said they can only offer me a Mauritian package as above, not expat. I know they are taking advantage cuz they know i'm kinda desperate due to the recession here in the UK.

In addition to the above package I also presume they will provide me with a car although I need to confirm with them.

Thank you all in advance

Walter

The minimum wages for expat is now 75,000 Rs and is already in force

http://www.worknlive.mu/menuid1.aspx

WORKING IN MAURITIUS (new regulations as per the changes announced on March 5th 2010)

An occupation permit allows a non-national to work in Mauritius. It is both a work and a residence permit. A complete application is made through the Board of Investment to the Passport and Immigration Office. Applicants must register with the Board of Investment and registration is done at the same time that an application is submitted.

Professional    Basic salary should exceed MRU 75,000 monthly
----------------------------------------
So I don't know when the offer was made. If the company can't pay you a minimum MRU 75K, you won't make the cut with the BOI and Immigration.

Whether the offer is considered "Expat package" or "local package" depends on the experience and skills needed on the island ( supply versus demand) and the employer. It is not a given that any non-citizen who wants a job on the island should be offered a "premium package".

There are positions where Mauritians are not even considered  though they are qualified because of the employers' hiring policy(ies) ( I won't discuss it for obvious reasons) and that's why the govt. is changing the rules. Hence I believe that you won't be able to swap employer under the same permit since you don't apply for the work permit as the professional per se but the prospective employer does on your behalf  ( providing the necessary info on the position to be filled or documents).

Dear External - Thank you for your reply. The offer was made yesterday and the company mentioned that they will assist in the process of obtaining the necessary work permits.

I obviously do not know the company's recruitment policy but what I do know is they told be they will offer me a package similar to the one they would normally offer to a Mauritian citizen as they have no openings for expats at the moment. Therefore the package is a local package. I consider myself a professional surveyor although I am not chartered but I have a BSc and nearly 10 years of experience.

Do you know how the BOI determine who is and who is not a professional? What criteria do they use, are there labour market tests to be met for a permit to be issued?

I have asked the firm to improve the offer to 60k plus car/ allowance and then to guarantee increase to above 80k after probation and to be given expat package should the opportunity arise within the next three years. I am yet to hear from them so it's all in the air, I presume they might come back saying no because they might think I am trying to be clever. So the alternative was to say OK I will take it knowing I will have a better chance of networking when I get there and hopefully find a similar but well paid job so I wanted to how flexible are the permits.

What if, whilst working for the above employer I find a new job, can the new employer apply for a new permit for me?

Thank you again,

Hello Anderson,

As others already told you in this discussion, if the employer doesn't offer a salary of 75.000 Roupies, they will not obtain the work permit for you, due to the new regulations!!!!

Good luck
Arlette

Hi Arlette,

I do understand that, I know what the employer will do, he will add up all the non-cash benefits into cash and it will exceed 75k, my question was on the flexibility of permits and what criteria is used to determine a 'professional' and whether there is a permit that affords the flexibility to change employers as long as the role remains unchanged, as they used to do, for example in the UK where you have a work permit and are allowed to change employer and the holder applies for change of employer.

Thanks,

I don't know how BOI and Immigration determine the eligibility of a potential non-citizen  for an occupational permit in the category "professional".  Supposedly they will be asking for CV/copies of diplomas/expertise etc. Can't say -don't work for them and don't reside on the island presently.
http://www.lexpress.mu/story/10596-expa … sited.html
Professionals on the other hand, will need to find a job that proposes to pay them at least Rs 75,000 a month, as opposed to Rs 30,000. They also need to submit their CV as well as proof of their qualifications and professional experience to the BOI. This category was the most popular one among expatriates- 3300 people were granted occupational permits from October 2006 to July 2009. It's not clear if the figure was inflated because the “professionals” weren't required to submit proof of their qualifications and experience.
I don't know about the UK but as far as the US (on TN visa for weekly commute )  or Netherlands back in the 90's (because of my citizenship then), my permit was issued based on my employer. If I wanted to change employer, tough luck. Leave the country and reapply.
--------------------------
Those are the 3 options for the Occupational permit as described on the URL provided above by catherinedp:

An investor, a professional or a self-employed person may be eligible under the following conditions:

Investor    The business activity should generate a turnover exceeding MRU 4 million annually with an initial investment of USD100,000 or its equivalent in freely convertible foreign currency. If there is more than one investor in the same company applying for an Occupation Permit, the turnover criteria should apply in respect of each applicant (i.e MRU 8 million for two applicants, MRU 12 million for three applicants, and so on)

Professional    Basic salary should exceed MRU 75,000 monthly

Self-employed    Income from the business activity should exceed MRU 600,000 annually with an initial investment of USD 35,000 or its equivalent in freely convertible foreign currency.
-----------------------------------------

If I were in your shoes , I would make sure that the Rs 75K ( salary and benefits bundle as per your description )  won't be a point of contention with the civil servants handling your file. With every new regulation ( or may be a new govt after May 5th), one should expect some surprises or answers to the same questions.

Good luck

External - thank you so much for your advice, well appreciated.

Anderson

here is something for you that I have managed to dig up over the WE - as usual Google is your friend for search:

GUIDELINES FOR WORK PERMIT APPLICATIONS by the Ministry of Labour, Industrial Relations and Employment of Mauritius

http://www.gov.mu/portal/goc/empment/fi … 202010.pdf

Two points that I have noticed just by browsing through the Guidelines:

1. This document was last amended sometimes in JANUARY 2010 and the new conditions were announced on MARCH 5th 2010.

2. You will see that the minimum salary for a non-citizen was Rs 30K - this has been changed to Rs 75K. So substitute Rs 75K everywhere you see Rs 30K in the guideline.

my latest update is whosoever renewal is coming he shd aply well in advance to Ministry of labour asay atleast 1 month minimum to obtain work permit irrespective of that salary figure of 75k which is for BOI purpose.

Can any1 tel me that if my OP is finishing by 16th June and i apply for work permit 1 month before say by 15-20th May at Ministry of labor office because my salary will be under 75k den is it fine  and no need to leave the county and continue or change my Job being in Mauritius itself?

Hi Walter,

Don't presume they will provide you with a car! You better make sure they will. Which company made you an offer? Your offer sounds like a local package. Are you a chartered QS? How many years of experience you got? I'm also a QS working in Mauritius.

Hi Anderson

As Human Resource Consultant, I need to indicate that the previous “advice' you have got are highly erroneous in that a “Work Permit” is completely different from an “Occupational Permit”.

The new minimum salary of Rs 75,000/- is applicable for those working under an “Occupational Permit”, and this does not apply for those working under a “Work Permit”.

Obviously, your Employer needs to go through more complicated and time-consuming procedures and the process to obtain a “Work Permit' for you. The ‘Residence Permit' will be issued as soon as you are in possession of a valid “Work Permit”.

The “Work Permit” costs nearly nothing, except for some meagre processing fees and medical examination fees, and will be borne entirely by your Employer.

You cannot change Employer, save very exceptional circumstances, such as unavailability of work, and only with the consent of the first Employer.

Coupled with the salary of Rs 50,000/-, your Employer also need to provide you with a decent accommodation. As for the car, though it is not an obligation, still, they will surely provide you one, since this is a professional position. Besides, both for your status and that of the organisation will suffer.

You know, living “comfortably” is a quite subjective issue, since this depends on the way of life you want to lead in Mauritius. For your information, quite some bachelors live ‘comfortably” with a much lesser salary.

Hope the above reassures you!!!

Cheers ;)

Vayid

Vayid, what about cases of "Residence Permit" as s spouse of Mauritian, which eliminate the need of "Work Permit" ? Is the minimum of salary applicable?

Hi Devora,

I believe that the spouse of a Mauritius doesn't need a work permit and thus the minimum salary is not applicable.

People, correct me if I'm wrong!

Cheers
Arlette

FeeAcer

You are absolutely right in your observation.

Cheers

Vayid

Its not a great salary, but you ll live comfortably with that
if u dont hve kids. But It ll be difficult when u go back to the UK.

Just a question (sorry Anderson to hijack your topic :rolleyes:), if the company is paying for the accomodation, does it also include internet and cable tv ?

Cheers

Melissa

What Vayid says is absolutely true.  There is in fact no minimum salary imposed on foreign workers on general terms.  We should not forget that there are skilled workers and mechanics working in factories... they will never get to Rs75,000.  For salaries below Rs30,000 / month you need to have your contract of employment validated by the Ministry of Labour - above Rs30,000 your employer should simply mention the salary figure and is not compelled to show the entire contract.

The work and residence permit schemes were there before the creation of the BOI.  Work / residence permits are handled by the Ministry of Labour and the Immigration office. However, since 2006, they became quite impopular as BOI was announcing a 3-day speedy processing whilst the work / residence permits have no defined processing time spread.

Now that BOI has put new rules, most people are turning back to work / residence permits.

Melissa

You must surely be kidding when asking on the Internet and Cable TV.

These are certainly to be borne by the expat, except if the Employer is super generous.

Cheers;)

Vayid

Hi Vayid,

No I was not kidding otherwise I would not have asked this question.

I have heard that some companies pay for ADSL and DSTV.

Its not the norm I agree.

Thanks

Melissa

Dear Nadeem and Vayid,

Your expertise and experience has helped a lot in guiding expats planning to move to Mauritius. Now that Arlette is moving out of Mauritius ,your contribution for this forum will be very valuable.
Cheers!!!
Terence

Hey Terence!

It's not because I'm moving out physically from Mauritius, that I will not be anymore present virtually on the forum! I'm not going to let go! I'll be baaaaaaack! :)

Arlette

Dear Terrence

Thanks for this encouraging comments.

Definitely I, and surely Nadeem, will continue in our humble collaboration and information exercise of expatriates.

For sure the expert advice of Arlette would always be welcomed, though I presume she will be more active in some other destinations.

Cheers

Vayid

negotiable .

mhasan_00 wrote:

negotiable .

Welcome to the forum

Please introduce yourself to the forum.
The subject matter on this thread is 'work/salary and work permit questions' if you have some information about this please post it here. Thank you.

A lot of companies will pay for ADSL for their staff but I only know of this happening when the company already employs these people in another part of the world, requires them to move to Mauritius AND need them available 24/7 just in case.  Then the companies have paid for their ADSL.

Hello all,

@mhasan_00 : Also kindly note that your are participating on a thread that is nearly 4 years old!

Regards
Kenjee

Hi Vayid,

Request you to go through my query and let me know the ans,

I am married to Mauritian girl, do I still need to posses work permit to work in Mauritius and if not then what documents I need to carry to move in to Mauritius.

Thanks And Regards,
Pankaj

Can u send me ur email address i have some important questions to ask

@Leyya

This thread is 4 years old and inactive so you may not get a reply.

Hello Everybody,
       I am getting a job offer in Agriculture sector.
I am working in Nigeria as a production manager. I am earning more than $1200/month as a basic salary + food+ accommodation+ car + local salary.
If I get chance, how much salary should I ask for to work in Mauritius? What facilities should I ask to employer? Please give me necessary details.

Good day,

Thanks.

Aniket

I am not living in Mauritius.

A quick Google search shows average yearly salary after tax at $14, 900.

If you are to get food, accommodation, car etc in the new position then perhaps ask 15% more salary than you are getting now and annual airfares home.

If getting none of those then you need to find out cost of living, www.numbeo.com , and add that into your offer as well as airfares etc.

Go to 'Discover' at the top of this page and open the Mauritius guide for helpful information.

Thank you stumpy