Importing vehicles as a business

Apparently, some vehicles command a much higher price in Cuenca than in the U.S. Taking import duties and shipping charges into consideration, is it viable as a source of income for an expat to bring in a few now and then?

Bob, the auto retail business is controlled by a few Ecuadorian  families/businesses. Your ability to compete with these very deep pocketed groups is limited.

fdmcg wrote:

Bob, the auto retail business is controlled by a few Ecuadorian  families/businesses. Your ability to compete with these very deep pocketed groups is limited.

Even to bring in one a month or every other month?

Bob, if you are thinking of doing this "under the radar" it won't work. Car importation is government controlled in attempt to limit USD leaving the country (similar to Argentina & Venezuela).

Thanks. Makes sense. Can't say I blame them. Hard for me to think "full retirement", I guess.

You may import hybrids or new cars (up to a year old only). Those are the only ones exempted from taxes and faster to make it through the port. Things are changing at least in the Gye maritime port, to fasten high tech equipment imports as this country develops. Non hybrids and old cars are a nightmare to import and heavily taxed (unless you are a returning Ecuadorian!) as the Gov offers incentives for tech innovation. You can make some good cash in the hybrid importing, but yes it is better to have some contacts. Good luck!

Loving Ecuador wrote:

You may import hybrids or new cars (up to a year old only). Those are the only ones exempted from taxes and faster to make it through the port. Things are changing at least in the Gye maritime port, to fasten high tech equipment imports as this country develops. Non hybrids and old cars are a nightmare to import and heavily taxed (unless you are a returning Ecuadorian!) as the Gov offers incentives for tech innovation. You can make some good cash in the hybrid importing, but yes it is better to have some contacts. Good luck!

I did some research about this and was under the impression that if the car has over a 3000 cc engine, even if its new, you still can't import that car. Do you have any new info on this? Thanks

Yes that has been changing too. At this point I am not certain people can bring non-hybrid brand new vehicles with out a a current valid Ecuadorian dealer license...things have been changing and continue to do so in order to promote national assembly of imported autoparts so that people buys local. I am sorry. I would check on the Gye Port authority website directly.

Not one of my better ideas. Actually, I want to move to Cuenca to stop all these crazy ideas! I need to step back from the rat race just a bit.

Hi Gang,

I am a bit disappointed to read this, as I really wanted to bring my old Bronco.  I thought you could get one container full of household goods into the country when you move there, including a car (but you had to pay tax on the car).  So, I am wrong, right?  There will be no cars shipped there unless they are under a year old?  Please and thank you.

BryonDavis wrote:

Hi Gang,

I am a bit disappointed to read this, as I really wanted to bring my old Bronco.  I thought you could get one container full of household goods into the country when you move there, including a car (but you had to pay tax on the car).  So, I am wrong, right?  There will be no cars shipped there unless they are under a year old?  Please and thank you.

From what i understand, the car has to be the same year or one year older than the actual year that you are moving to Ecuador. Plus the engine size can't be over 3000 cc I believe, so that's basically like a 142 CI motor or so. If you have an old car or truck, there is pretty much no way to import it unless you are the Ambassador.

Only Ecuadorians returning to the contry after, at least, one year living abroad can bring a car to Ecuador without paying taxes, but still, some restrictions apply.

Diplomatics are the other ones allowed to bring cars here.

If you want to bring your car with your moving, you will have to deal with extra problems with customs and also pay a lot of taxes, so for less money than the shipping, the customs and the taxes you can buy a car in Ecuador without all the stress.

Vinny

yeap, taxes can be that high to bring used vehicles. You can always buy the more affordable brand new vehicles which are assembled in Ecuador, like Chevrolet, Hyundai, Mazda and Niva. Good luck!

What about motorcycles? Can one bring in older (say 5 years old) motorcycles? And are they restricted to under 3000 cc as well? :rolleyes:

No, not allowed.

Any kind of engine device used for transportation is not allowed.

Vinny

Bueno. Understood that an individual is really restricted.

What about a company? If I setup a S.A., is that S.A. allowed to bring in older vehicles without paying significant taxes?

Well, as far as I know imported cars are heavily taxed. You can find here dealers for most of the brands and imported cars are more expensive than the ones (chevrolet) made here.
If you want to import cars I don't know what kind of permits, regulations you have to acomplish.
Also there's a company in Guayaquil that bring luxury cars for rich ecuadorian people and , of course, even more taxes to pay.

Vinny