Finding Work as a Dependent Spouse in Kampala

Hi all!

My wife is moving to Kampala to work for the UN. I am considering joining her as a dependent and looking for work there. I have a promising business career back home and two university degrees, plus speak five languages, so I'm thinking I can find something either with international organizations/NGOs/international businesses there.

But how difficult exactly is it to get a work permit? I know I am not allowed to work on a UN dependent visa and I would have to get it converted to a work visa.

All help is greatly appreciated and would help me decide if I move to Uganda (I would really want to).

Cheers.

Hi it depends on your experience and field. The UN office is fairly small, unlike Rome, New York, Vienna etc so it is next to imposssible to employ you.However maybe you can be employed in the private sector, not necessarily the NGO/UN environment.I think your visa can be converted, her UN office should be able to help you on the latter

I was in the same situation and when I found a job, the company helped me take care of the work permit.
Good luck.

Hi,

Just wondering how you got on?!

Best,

Jen

I m planning to take an job opportunity in Kempala, Uganda. My wife is a Dentist. Is there any opportunity I can find for her.

Request urs opinion and advise.

Regards. Shashikanta

Hello Jen & Shashikanta.

Just to note that this thread is 3 years old.
Do not hesitate to start a new thread on the Kampala forum for more visibility. ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie