Laws are sketchy, at best...

I have to admit that I'm now officially confused as heck!  It was my understanding that once you move to Ecuador you had 6 months to bring in home supplies Duty-Free.

It was also my understanding that with an attorney, you can rent or buy a home....or even build.

What is confusing me is that my brother has a friend that wanted to retire there this year.  He moved down and sent a shipping container with his household goods.  Two weeks later when the shipment arrived, the government would not release it to him until he paid thousands of dollars, unexpected to the guy!  What the heck?

He wanted to buy a house, but was told that a non-citizen cannot purchase a home.  He had to put the house in his father-in-law's name that is a citizen of Ecuador....and hope everything works out with this marriage, LOL.  If he hadn't had a relative there, he wouldn't be able to purchase a home?!!

What happened here?  Anyone have a clue that could explain what went wrong and what I can expect when I get there next year?

Laura,
Unfortunately, just about everything you heard is misinformation.
You can bring in things duty free if you have a residency visa. All non residents must pay, and at that, there are still restrictions, such as non current year automobiles.
Also, I can personally make the statement that I purchased a residence without being a citizen. This is accurate as of this posting.
I think it would have paid him well to have had ( and still would )have a competent attorney representing him.
I wish him the best.
Neil

Good info thanks Neil
Hans

Lauratort wrote:

It was my understanding that once you move to Ecuador you had 6 months to bring in home supplies Duty-Free.

Define "move to Ecuador". You need to be in possession of a legal resident visa, not just  physically present in the country.

Apart from that, one would have be quite attached to ones goods to bother shipping them. Locally made goods are usually much better value.

Thanks for the replies:  I was pretty sure upon hearing my brother's "horror stories" that the guy probably didn't do his homework.  I hate when people talk stuff they know nothing about...Have a great day, all!!  :D